F@H on a dual processor...how to run two copies?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Per the topic.

I know SETIDriver takes care of multiple processors automatically. How does the console version of F@H handle it?

I finally have my HTPC up and running stably (now has 1GB of *registered* DDR RAM...stupid non-registered RAM :) ) and want to get F@H running on this. Is the console app more productive than the GUI version?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
(I'm up way too late and tired because of it, so if this isn't coherent, you'll have to wait until tomorrow morning. Sorry.)

Anyway, none of the Folding@Home clients are SMP-aware. Ergo, you will have to run multiple clients to utilize multiple processors. The Folding@Home GUI client can not have two instances running at the same time, so you'll have to use either one GUI and one console, or two console (CLI), clients.

To set up two CLI clients, you need to make two folders, and put a copy of fah3console.exe in each one. Then, enter the first folder via a DOS prompt (window, in Windows NT/2000/XP, of course), and run "fah3console.exe -config -local"; be sure to set it for a machine ID of 1 (you may have to select advanced options to get the machine ID configuration option, I can't remember for sure). Rinse, repeat, except substituting machine ID of 2 for the second client. When you run them from your startup folder, you need to start each one in its individual folder, with the -local switch to prevent it from interfering with the other client. If you use FireDaemon to set them up as services (you'll probably need to *ahem* acquire *ahem* the professional version because you'll need more than one service - one for each client, in fact), you'll need to use both -local and -service (the latter prevents the client from shutting down when someone logs off).

If this was a bunch of useless rambling, LMK and I'll try to reformat and make readable tomorrow... oh, wait, that should be later today, because it's after midnight. Nevermind. Good night, and good luck setting up the client for your dual processor machine (that's one area where I wish I could get some personal experience ;)).

RustyNale

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jliechty
(I'm up way too late and tired because of it, so if this isn't coherent, you'll have to wait until tomorrow morning. Sorry.) Anyway, none of the Folding@Home clients are SMP-aware. Ergo, you will have to run multiple clients to utilize multiple processors. The Folding@Home GUI client can not have two instances running at the same time, so you'll have to use either one GUI and one console, or two console (CLI), clients. To set up two CLI clients, you need to make two folders, and put a copy of fah3console.exe in each one. Then, enter the first folder via a DOS prompt (window, in Windows NT/2000/XP, of course), and run "fah3console.exe -config -local"; be sure to set it for a machine ID of 1 (you may have to select advanced options to get the machine ID configuration option, I can't remember for sure). Rinse, repeat, except substituting machine ID of 2 for the second client. When you run them from your startup folder, you need to start each one in its individual folder, with the -local switch to prevent it from interfering with the other client. If you use FireDaemon to set them up as services (you'll probably need to *ahem* acquire *ahem* the professional version because you'll need more than one service - one for each client, in fact), you'll need to use both -local and -service (the latter prevents the client from shutting down when someone logs off). If this was a bunch of useless rambling, LMK and I'll try to reformat and make readable tomorrow... oh, wait, that should be later today, because it's after midnight. Nevermind. Good night, and good luck setting up the client for your dual processor machine (that's one area where I wish I could get some personal experience ;)).

What jliechty said, I'm currently running 2 clients on a dually throught the command line--and all I did is copy shortcuts to fah3console.exe into the start up menu to have it start up each time I'd have to reboot the comp.