F@H: Linux or Windows 64?

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
I know that Linux seems to handle AMD's multicore implementation better than Windows does, so it got me thinking; all-around, GPU and CPU folding considered, which is the better OS performance-wise?

I Googled around a bit and the only discussions I could find on the topic are 5+ years old.

Anybody have experience with this?

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
did your search reveal alot of material from [H]ardForum? i don't know much about Folding myself, but i ask b/c [H]ardForum's Distributed Computing sub-forum is more like a Folding sub-forum...i guess most of their team members Fold but don't participate in many other DC projects, so most of the material over there pertains to Folding.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Folding@Home doesn't support GPUs on linux so Windows is your only option. CPU folding on SMP WUs is more efficient on linux with single CPU multicore processors in my experience. SMP WU efficiency on multi-CPU systems is definitely more productive with linux. If you have GPUs and multicore CPUs then Windows is the only "easy" option for reasonable production in Folding@Home.

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Or use Wine. I know in version 1.5.17 GPU support is available but I am not sure on the performance. Have a go!
Kiska

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
Folding@Home doesn't support GPUs on linux so Windows is your only option. CPU folding on SMP WUs is more efficient on linux with single CPU multicore processors in my experience. SMP WU efficiency on multi-CPU systems is definitely more productive with linux. If you have GPUs and multicore CPUs then Windows is the only "easy" option for reasonable production in Folding@Home.

Well. That settles that then. :p Thanks.