F@H: GPU fans -> Auto

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
So with the new 59xx series of Work Units being sent to me pretty much exclusively, I decided to experiment with the fans on my GPUs. I have been folding with them at 100% and thought, how nice it might be to hear myself think... If I were ever to decide I had no choice but to do so.... :laugh: )

It was hillarious.... The fans reacted to each and every one of the temperature pulses (about one every 3 seconds) and it sounded like my room had become an airport with tiny little airplanes taking off and landing.

Now I have no idea if this would have settled out over time or not, but between my new airforce patrols and noticing my temperatures were heading for the 70s.... It's back to 100% fans for me. :cool: (besides, who knows when the dreaded 511 pointers might come back.)

-Sid

PS: I do notice the temperature spikes are much larger on the 9800GTX+ than on the 8800GTS so you may find very different results depending upon which card you fold on... or maybe even with brand (non-reference design cards)

ENJOY! :beer:

a lilttle later: Curiosity made me go back to Auto for a while (plus it was making the cat nutz which was plenty of reason to do it again :evil: )

The fans did settle out (back to boring ol' crunching :p )

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
my my.............

so we are reduced to playing with fans for entertainment................... :p :p

watch your fingers.......... ;)

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Pokey
my my.............

so we are reduced to playing with fans for entertainment................... :p :p

watch your fingers.......... ;)

And your cat! :)

I will comment on this later tomorrow as I just got home and I have to go to sleep. 5am comes to quick!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
LoL ... :D

I am crunching seti@home with my GPUs and have a similar experience. Therefore my fans are on AUTO too.
My cats were so curious .. they sat close to the comp and tried to find the source of the noise - probably to kill it. ;)

:)

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
My fans are on auto as well. However, whether it's folding the older or newer GPU WU, it's always running at 35% to 43% fan speed. Plus the good thing is that I can't even feel the noise increase as the fan speed increases.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Mine are all @70% fixed, can;t take a chance of them overheating. And too many to watch ! (20 now)

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
I have to agree with Mark. I set mine to auto and all was good until an older WU came up and pushed the temps up more than I was comfortable with. I set them to a fixed speed of 65%, with the exception of my 8800GTs (2) which are 100% and all temps now stay under 60c.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
I think I'm going to do the same thing.

The 9800 seems to stay where I like it, but the 8800 seems to regulate between 70 and 75C.

I guess I'm spoiled with the lower temps.... fans back to direct control. :(

-Sid

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: petrusbroder
LoL ... :D

I am crunching seti@home with my GPUs and have a similar experience. Therefore my fans are on AUTO too.
My cats were so curious .. they sat close to the comp and tried to find the source of the noise - probably to kill it. ;)
:)
Lol :D

I quickly killed off auto on my 4830 soon after I started to fold on it, just around 58C it would jump from 37 to 54% fan speed, wth?? which made a very noticeable & regular sound change :roll:, fixed at 45% now & all is fine so far :). Temps peaking in the mid 60s now partly due to warmer ambient temps.