F@H Control Bug? GTX460 SLI Crunching brings PC to screeching halt?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Hello Fellow F@H men. Recently I haven't been able to contribute as much as possible to F@H because I noticed that when configured in SLI mode, my PC is extremely slow to the point that the mouse skips around and the PC is near unusable.

Upon bootup it is fine, but if any 'graphic' intensive action occurs (open and close a game, have flash display, etc. etc.), and F@H control is running, the PC comes to a halt. Now it would make sense that it does this when I play a game as F@H and my game compete for resources....but when I'm just sitting here using the PC normally and surfing AT I don't see why I should lag.

Has anyone noticed this? Is this a bug? I don't mind that I have to open and close F@H when I game because of resource competition (I use F@H for CPU and 2xGPU), but I dont' want to keep turning on and off sli in the control panel. That just encourages me to never turn it on in the first place

I use Nvidia Control Panel 3.9.731.0 with graphics driver version 285.62
F@H Control 7.1.38

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't have an SLI rig, and am crunching PrimeGrid not F@H, but I also experience some slowdowns.

Not so much on my GTX460 rigs (Precision only shows GPU usage going to 99%, never 100%), but on my quad-GPU 9600GSO cruncher, when BOINC launches (with Windows boot), the entire computer's UI is massively lagged out.

When I had Firefox/Waterfox configured for hardware-acceleration, it too lagged scrolling, etc. webpages. But once I disabled HW accel, it was fine.

On my secondary Q9300/GTX460 rig, which also runs BOINC/PrimeGrid in the background on the CPU and the GPU, my friend came over today and was watching some online video-game streams, which use Flash Player. It was configured for HW accel, and it was slightly skippy. Once I stopped BOINC, it got smoother. It wasn't horrible though, only just a little frameskip apparently.