F.E.A.R. the mipmap transition.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I'm just gonna say the typical answer of someone who doesn't know why the hell is that happening but doesn't want to admit it:

Does it really bother you?, its not like F.E.A.R. is all about finding secret dates on calendars and stuff.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Yes it does bother me, because it calls my attention. It makes the game less immersive. I've also noticed it on certain patterned floor as well. It means something isn't working right.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
It happens on other places? If so, then yeah, it would seem like AF is not kicking in quite properly, try googling to see if you can find something like this, have you tried lower AF settings? you know like 8X?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Mine doesn't not look like that at all. I enabled 8xAF in the game, not the NV control panel.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
If applicable, enable AF in-game instead of with driver settings. Disable aniso filter optimization. Try disabling trilinear/aniso sample optimizations also if that doesn't work.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
af is enabled in game and all that other crap you said.

I guess it don't matter now anyway since I don't have a save of the calendar section and I just beat the game. I'm not gonna look for these textures. It would take too long.

AnnoyedGrunt

Jan 31, 2004
The 7800 series from NV uses angle dependent AF. Therefore, at certain angles, the AF quality is much less than at other angles. Perhaps the angle of the calendar in that screenshot is such that AF has less of an effect. As far as I know, only the old NV cards (I think before the FX series, or maybe including the FX series) as well as the ATI X1800 series have options for angle INdependent AF, where the AF quality is equal in all angles.

Of course, it could be something else, too.

-D'oh!

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: AnnoyedGrunt
The 7800 series from NV uses angle dependent AF. Therefore, at certain angles, the AF quality is much less than at other angles. Perhaps the angle of the calendar in that screenshot is such that AF has less of an effect. As far as I know, only the old NV cards (I think before the FX series, or maybe including the FX series) as well as the ATI X1800 series have options for angle INdependent AF, where the AF quality is equal in all angles.

Of course, it could be something else, too.

-D'oh!

The R520 does too.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
The 7800 series from NV uses angle dependent AF.
Yeah, but that's not the reason. Anisotropic filtering is a superset of Trilinear, not of Bilinear. I've seen it only in this game.