F.E.A.R: Any chance it's being toppled soon?

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
This is STILL my favorite PC FPS, and it seems to hold a good marketshare.

F.E.A.R Combat just let my friends join me.

What do you guys think? Anything huge on the horizon or is this a kingly FPS?

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
F.E.A.R is not that good. If you want something good, at least try out STALKER.

also, that comment was uncalled for.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
you must not play many FPS games if FEAR is your favorite.

SoF2 is still my favorite MP FPS game. The only thing that has come close to it is the CoD series, and even then, CoD series has things I don't like. SoF2 is just perfection.

As for SP, its probably the CoD series (up until 2 anyway, since they apparently couldn't be bothered to release 3 on PC).

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: xSkyDrAx

I wouldnt put fear into the top 10 of anything, but it is decent. They got one thing right - battles should be quick and dirty. I've never been a fan of FPSes where you have to run around each other inflicting lots of damage etc - 1-3 good shots should take someone down IMO.

BF2142
BF2
CS:S
COD2

Are the reigning champs in my mind. BF2142 is surpringly good. The balance is there, and even though it still takes too many damn shots to take someone down, at least the weapons are somewhat accurate now.

STALKER on the other hand, is absolute trash no matter how you slice it.

Phlargo

Jul 21, 2004
I recently played through STALKER and now just playing FEAR for the first time. STALKER was much cooler to watch, but the AI in FEAR blows STALKER away. Both are really fun games. Why does everything need to be so mutually exclusive?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
im gonna get FEAR combat once my new rig (C2D, 2gigs ram) is up and running.. will run it MUCH better than what i had before

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Ahh well...so far Riddick and Halo 1 were my 2 favorite FPS' for single player...FEAR was "ok" at best and I hated the expansion...

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I hated F.E.A.R. and found it very boring. HL2 and Deus Ex (original flavour) are still my favourite FPS games of all time.

For multiplayer FPS I prefer CS.

KT

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I haven't play FEAR or Stalker before but Doom3 is fun to play and give me creepy. Doom3 is a flop cuz not many people like it very much.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I haven't play FEAR or Stalker before but Doom3 is fun to play and give me creepy. Doom3 is a flop cuz not many people like it very much.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Rottie

If you don't think Doom3 is repetitive you'll think FEAR is the greatest game ever. Also, I'm guessing you're about 9 years old if it give you creepy.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
FEAR = mega yawn.. the entire time it was going to a new site just to be too late to catch that dude.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Oxaqata
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
You're a loser for having an overrated game as your favorite PC shooter. :|

That wasn't called for.

The truth is always called for, no point in dancing around it, FEAR sucks. Half life 2 is the best pc shooter.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
FEAR = mega yawn.. the entire time it was going to a new site just to be too late to catch that dude.

I never cared about him, i really really wanted to shoot the fat ginger guy in the face though. I never wanted to kill anyone in a video game more than him.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Soviet
That wasn't called for.
The truth is always called for, no point in dancing around it, FEAR sucks. Half life 2 is the best pc shooter.
I find it very amusing you rally for "The Truth" and then you spout off some insanity like that. :D

Half-Life 2 is only good when compared to other games in its generation. And thats only because this current generation of shooters suck.

For sheer raw fun I still havent seen too much that can compete with Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. Maybe Red Faction 1.
Far Cry was alright and a lot more interesting than Doom 3 or Quake 4.

I think Prey is highly overrated and STALKER is completely different game than all the rest of these. It shouldnt even be compared.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: xSkyDrAx

I wouldnt put fear into the top 10 of anything, but it is decent. They got one thing right - battles should be quick and dirty. I've never been a fan of FPSes where you have to run around each other inflicting lots of damage etc - 1-3 good shots should take someone down IMO.

BF2142
BF2
CS:S
COD2

Are the reigning champs in my mind. BF2142 is surpringly good. The balance is there, and even though it still takes too many damn shots to take someone down, at least the weapons are somewhat accurate now.

STALKER on the other hand, is absolute trash no matter how you slice it.

wait, you like BF2 and BF2142 and you're calling other games trash? you sir, have no room to talk.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
Thanks admins for the new forum, so trashing each other is harbored within a gamer forum, the way God intended ;)

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005

That wasn't called for.

I sincerely hope you're joking.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: shortylickens
That wasn't called for.
I find it very amusing you rally for "The Truth" and then you spout off some insanity like that. :D

Half-Life 2 is only good when compared to other games in its generation. And thats only because this current generation of shooters suck.

For sheer raw fun I still havent seen too much that can compete with Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. Maybe Red Faction 1.
Far Cry was alright and a lot more interesting than Doom 3 or Quake 4.

I think Prey is highly overrated and STALKER is completely different game than all the rest of these. It shouldnt even be compared.

Half life 2 is amazing, its got everything, graphics, story, characters, weapons, cool enemies, fun objectives (nova prospekt with ant lions? awsome!) and it even ran well on crappy rigs back in the day. Only one gripe about it was the lack of an end boss. I think the best shooters on the pc are these:

Half life 2/Episode 1
Chronicles of riddick: EFBB
Half life 1
Farcry
Elite force 1
Max payne 1

Those games in order from best to least best are the shooters ive had most fun with. Half life 2 stacks up well against old shooters and extremely well against newer ones. I own a lot more shooters but they are pretty ordinary.