Ezra fought an Islamo-fascist and Ezra won

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
Here's a story that should warm the cockles of the heart of any advocate of free speech: a Canadian publisher who actually took on an Islamic fascist over the re-printing of Danish cartoons and won. It also shows how self-serving Government bureaucracies are brothers in arms with shrill Islamic operators heading Orwellian sounding organizations (Islamic Supreme Council of Canada: as Orwellian as they come) whose aim is not so much to defend a position but to intimidate others out of theirs.

If anyone has dealt with Government bureaucracies (especially the ones dealing with labor and discrimination), they will know that their thought process runs counter to most Western Legal precedent: the concept of presumption of innocence is alien to them.

I have also posted a Youtube link of Ezra Levant defending himself. It's no surprise that the officer looks like a chump, these people are eminently unemployable in real-life because they have neither the experience nor the judgement, which is why they seek refuge in pompous sounding tax-payer funded organizations doing mostly useless work.

Read on:

When free speech offends Muslims

Excerpt:

....In February 2006, Levant's conservative magazine, the now-online-only Western Standard, reprinted the Danish Muhammad cartoons. Shortly thereafter, Syed Soharwardy, the national president of the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada, filed a Koranic-verse laden complaint against Mr. Levant with the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission, claiming discrimination....

Ezra Levant's defense videos

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Hopefully next our government will next move to get rid of these Human Rights and Citizenship Commissions, whose naming is the height of irony.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I'm always glad for a free speech victory, but I think the article points out how hypocritical the "free speech" advocates in this case really are. It mentions that the Canadian Human Rights Commission (which heard the complaint) has been used to silence a lot of views that pissed somebody off, and nobody cared even the slightest bit until it was a Muslim trying to silence some anti-Muslim rhetoric. Suddenly everyone is a card carrying member of the ACLU (or whatever they have in Canada), talking about "free speech" and how suppressing free expression is a bad thing. Except it's complete BS, people just don't like Muslims...free speech is a convenient excuse for the position many people would take anyways.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
Hopefully next our government will next move to get rid of these Human Rights and Citizenship Commissions, whose naming is the height of irony.

I think it's a good idea, as long as you can prevent it from turning into the PC police. But I think it's important to remember that there is still real discrimination and real social problems in the world, sweeping it all up with people being overly sensitive about cartoons is kind of silly.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: yllus

I think it's a good idea, as long as you can prevent it from turning into the PC police. But I think it's important to remember that there is still real discrimination and real social problems in the world, sweeping it all up with people being overly sensitive about cartoons is kind of silly.
That is why we already have laws and an established justice system. I've followed this story since January and though I receive info from a biased source, it seems that these commissions should be dissolved. They are beholden to nothing and do waste tax dollars on frequently silly complaints.