Eyes on Wauwatosa, WI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
The Judge did it. He freakin' did it. I didn't think he would when he wussed out on the announcement a few weeks back.

"Milwaukee County Judge Glenn Yamahiro charged Joseph Mensah with homicide by negligent use of a weapon in Jay Anderson Jr.’s death. Yamahiro’s decision marks a victory for Anderson’s family, who took advantage of a little-used provision in state law to ask the judge for a second look at the case."

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The Judge did it. He freakin' did it. I didn't think he would when he wussed out on the announcement a few weeks back.

"Milwaukee County Judge Glenn Yamahiro charged Joseph Mensah with homicide by negligent use of a weapon in Jay Anderson Jr.’s death. Yamahiro’s decision marks a victory for Anderson’s family, who took advantage of a little-used provision in state law to ask the judge for a second look at the case."

Yeap - great news for my town!

Reactions: Pohemi

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yeah I'm really torn on this one. There's lots of questionable information on these events, and bluntly put, it's quite remarkable that ONE Wauwatosa police officer was involved in THREE shootings in FIVE years

Two of these cases, to me, are CLEAR situations where shooting is warranted.

This third case from 2016 though, the guy in his vehicle. He had a gun visible? He probably moved, perhaps in a manner that would be seen as reaching. Intended or not.

This case is at least interesting from a use of force perspective. While it is possible to approach the situation differently, that is certainly not SOP. I see the officer acting normally, where a person moves the wrong muscle and dies as a result. That really is America, where we are armed to the teeth and officers need twitch reflexes to survive our streets. Right or wrong, it just is.

Can we change it? Sure. But I think the impetus for change should not be a noose around this officer's neck for merely responding as was expected of him.

I want wide and sweeping changes to reduce fatalities, not scapegoats who do not deserve punishment.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Two of these cases, to me, are CLEAR situations where shooting is warranted.

This third case from 2016 though, the guy in his vehicle. He had a gun visible? He probably moved, perhaps in a manner that would be seen as reaching. Intended or not.

This case is at least interesting from a use of force perspective. While it is possible to approach the situation differently, that is certainly not SOP. I see the officer acting normally, where a person moves the wrong muscle and dies as a result. That really is America, where we are armed to the teeth and officers need twitch reflexes to survive our streets. Right or wrong, it just is.

Can we change it? Sure. But I think the impetus for change should not be a noose around this officer's neck for merely responding as was expected of him.

I want wide and sweeping changes to reduce fatalities, not scapegoats who do not deserve punishment.

I still stand by my statement - 3 shootings in 5 years. There's nothing even CLOSE to that on the force here. He's either got really bad luck or a twitchy trigger finger.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo