Eyefinity with 27" 2560x1440 in landscape and 2x 23" 1920x1080 in portrait

May 14, 2013
First post here. I recently built a new gaming rig and decided to go crazy with some new monitors to match. I purchased a 27" 2560x1440 and two 23" 1920x1080. I strongly considered getting three of the 23" monitors for a 3x1 portrait mode Eyefinity setup but there appear to be enough games out there that have issues with Eyefinity that I didn't want to only be able to play those on a single 23" 1920x1080. The 27" works extremely well for almost all games, but I still want the Eyefinity experience for games that are capable of it. Which leads to my real question...

Is it possible to configure a 4720x1440 resolution in Eyefinity with the 27" in landscape in the center and the two 23" in portrait on either side? If this is possible, the next question is whether it's possible to configure the two 23" with custom-sized black bars on the top and bottom? The key with the black bars is to make sure the 1440x1080 resolution isn't all bizarrely stretched out and to ensure the 23" pictures line up with the center 27". The more I think about it, the more impossible it seems (at least partially because the higher PPI on the 27" means the 1440 vertical resolution takes up only 13.2" but the same 1440 consumes 15" on the 23" screens...not a tremendous difference but still significant).

Thanks guys.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Why not just have all 3 monitors in landscape at 1080p? You'll get a 'zoomed' larger image on the 27", but it may surprise you that the side monitors do an OK job of giving you enough peripheral vision to where the size mismatch is not terrible - you'll be focusing on the center monitor most of the time.

Normally I'd suggest you use the various utilities to edit the EDID information of your monitor to include the custom resolution support you want, and create a driver that you load for the monitor with the custom resolution. But I'm not sure you can do that if you switch from landscape to portrait? Maybe it would work going the EDID route.

The issue is it will depend on your monitor's hardware and electronics, as to whether it can avoid scaling the lesser resolution and provide black bars. I tried that with some old monitors and they simply scaled, but a recent monitor may give you the option to scale or provide black bars.

So try that, edit the EDID info on the side monitors, or just do all 3 in 1080p landscape and get the zoomed effect on the center.

May 14, 2013
Why not just have all 3 monitors in landscape at 1080p? You'll get a 'zoomed' larger image on the 27", but it may surprise you that the side monitors do an OK job of giving you enough peripheral vision to where the size mismatch is not terrible - you'll be focusing on the center monitor most of the time.

Normally I'd suggest you use the various utilities to edit the EDID information of your monitor to include the custom resolution support you want, and create a driver that you load for the monitor with the custom resolution. But I'm not sure you can do that if you switch from landscape to portrait? Maybe it would work going the EDID route.

The issue is it will depend on your monitor's hardware and electronics, as to whether it can avoid scaling the lesser resolution and provide black bars. I tried that with some old monitors and they simply scaled, but a recent monitor may give you the option to scale or provide black bars.

So try that, edit the EDID info on the side monitors, or just do all 3 in 1080p landscape and get the zoomed effect on the center.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm definitely going to give the 1080p x3 a shot and see how it looks with the 27" as the centerpiece. If it doesn't feel like it's lost too much in the way of picture quality, that would be ideal. I may be tempted to try the custom driver route at some point just to see if it's possible. One of those things that would be fun just to figure it all out and see it functioning.

Last edited: