Eyefinity performance testing on ATI 5870

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Sounds buggy and not that great a performer. And wtf is up with no Crossfire support?
The one thing that could actually make many of the performance issues disappear isnt supported.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Sounds buggy and not that great a performer. And wtf is up with no Crossfire support?
The one thing that could actually make many of the performance issues disappear isnt supported.

it is buggy and and doesnt work at all in some games. http://www.pcper.com/article.p...783&type=expert&pid=10

they have little vids for all the games they test in that review and overall I think its not ready to come out of the oven just yet. it looks one of those things where you could be waiting months on drivers to play a game properly. screw continuously waiting on drivers to fix crossfire and image issues. as if regular drivers issues arent enough with modern games to begin with. unless this technology works perfectly in every game then I cant see why people would want to fool with it.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
I don't understand some of the settings they used for their benchmarks. Why would they leave DX10.1 off in HAWX? And why did they leave 4xAA on in FC2, even though the game was dropping to completely unplayable framerates?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
New features/technologies always have teething issues. SLI/XFire and others had similar issues. This actually seems to work quite well in certain situations, considering the Demands placed on the Vidcards.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: toyota

it is buggy and and doesnt work at all in some games. http://www.pcper.com/article.p...783&type=expert&pid=10

they have little vids for all the games they test in that review and overall I think its not ready to come out of the oven just yet. it looks one of those things where you could be waiting months on drivers to play a game properly. screw continuously waiting on drivers to fix crossfire and image issues. as if regular drivers issues arent enough with modern games to begin with. unless this technology works perfectly in every game then I cant see why people would want to fool with it.

Does physx or dx11 work perfectly in every game? Actually the great majority of games in a year from now, will not support either. Eyefinity will likely be better supported. Crossfire working will just make it better - at least for those with huge budgets and desktop space.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
New features/technologies always have teething issues. SLI/XFire and others had similar issues. This actually seems to work quite well in certain situations, considering the Demands placed on the Vidcards.

and SLI/Crossfire still have issues today that are not worth foolling with unless you must run it. this eyenfinity looks like it will be more trouble than its worth. I mean did they even test it with some popular current games because it does look like it. do you want to spend all that money on three monitors and put up with continuously waiying on drivers? most like to just play games and not worry about troubleshooting and incompatibility issues with crap like this. to me if something doesnt work nearly perfectly with every game then cost and aggravation cant be justified.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

I see your point but doesn't it seem graphics coding is lagging behind Video card development.

Every 12-18 months Video cards become 2x as powerful....but the graphics engines being developed really don't take advantage of this. Instead we have ever increasing resolutions on LCDs/multiple LCDs becoming more affordable (with ATI obviously noticing this).

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

and SLI/Crossfire still have issues today that are not worth foolling with unless you must run it. this eyenfinity looks like it will be more trouble than its worth. I mean did they even test it with some popular current games because it does look like it. do you want to spend all that money on three monitors and put up with continuously waiying on drivers? most like to just play games and not worry about troubleshooting and incompatibility issues with crap like this. to me if something doesnt work nearly perfectly with every game then cost and aggravation cant be justified.

Even if the triple monitors don't work well with games.....they may still help with desktop productivity. Although I am not sure three monitors would be really better than two.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ronnn

Does physx or dx11 work perfectly in every game? Actually the great majority of games in a year from now, will not support either. Eyefinity will likely be better supported. Crossfire working will just make it better - at least for those with huge budgets and desktop space.

physx does work perfectly in every game that I am aware of. but please show me one review where it didnt perform as expected. and how exactly would DX11 not work properly?

we will likely still be discussing what games will and wont work with this eyefinity technology for years. really its just niche market so those that want to fool with it can knock themselves out.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Just learning

Even if the triple monitors don't work well with games.....they may still help with desktop productivity. Although I am not sure three monitors would be really better than two.

I thought you could already run triple monitors and that this Eyefinity was mainly geared towards gaming? if triple monitors were not doable before then yes I see the productivity benefit for some.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I won't be going Triple Monitors anytime soon if at all, but most of the issues seems related to 1) Performance, which will eventually be rectified and 2) How Games implement Resolutions/Scaling, which will also likely be rectified in time. I really don't think these issues are as complicated as SLI/XFire issues.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

I won't be going Triple Monitors anytime soon if at all, but most of the issues seems related to 1) Performance, which will eventually be rectified and 2) How Games implement Resolutions/Scaling, which will also likely be rectified in time. I really don't think these issues are as complicated as SLI/XFire issues.

More interesting graphics code would probably be better than massive combined resolutions.....but when will that happen? Right now Consoles with Graphics cards developed in 2005/2006 get most of the programmers attention.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
really its just niche market so those that want to fool with it can knock themselves out.

I agree, but the good news for amd is that this niche is beginning to include reviewers (that like it). The halo may be huge.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

Go back to your consoles. :roll:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: videogames101

I dont game on consoles but nice try. I am simply saying this looks like more aggravation than its worth. I mean it was tested in a few popular current games and had it clearly had issues. if you want to worry about compatibility and driver issues then great. this just looks like it could be a nightmare to deal with in many games.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

I dont game on consoles but nice try. I am simply saying this looks like more aggravation than its worth. I mean it was tested in a few popular current games and had it clearly had issues. if you want to worry about compatibility and driver issues then great. the way I look at just regular pc gaming can be a headache at times and this just looks like it could be a nightmare.

Didn't HD5870 do pretty well on 7680x1600 with Far Cry 2 when detail settings were set to medium?

The fact that card was able to play anything at 7680x1600 is actually quite amazing to me.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

I dont game on consoles but nice try. I am simply saying this looks like more aggravation than its worth. I mean it was tested in a few popular current games and had it clearly had issues. if you want to worry about compatibility and driver issues then great. the way I look at just regular pc gaming can be a headache at times and this just looks like it could be a nightmare.

Didn't HD5870 do pretty well on 7680x1600 with Far Cry 2 when detail settings were set to medium?

The fact that card was able to play anything at 7680x1600 is actually quite amazing to me.

I am not even referring to framerates. I am talking about the game being displayed properly or even being able to run on three monitors in the first place. as you can see there were issues like that. I know..."wait for drivers" will be what we hear every time some game doesnt work right with this tech. last year I waited 3 months for ATI to fix some issues with Clear Sky and Dead Space and then I gave up and moved on. to me it seems that ATI has more issues when new games come out than Nvidia does. I cant even imagine them working overtime on a niche technology to keep it working properly.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
and SLI/Crossfire still have issues today that are not worth foolling with unless you must run it.

It shows how little you know...lol

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: solofly
and SLI/Crossfire still have issues today that are not worth foolling with unless you must run it.

It shows how little you know...lol

so every game that comes out works perfectly with sli/crossfire? really? there never has to be another driver update to address compatibility or scaling with any games? yeah I guess I just didnt know as much as you. it has come a long ways but its not as good as running a single card of equal specs. in other words no one in their right mind would choose a crossfire or sli setup if there was a single card that was just as fast. no matter what game you play that single card will always deliver its performance.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

I am not even referring to framerates. I am talking about the game being displayed properly or even being able to run on three monitors in the first place. as you can see there were issues like that. I know..."wait for drivers" will be what we hear every time some game doesnt work right with this tech. last year I waited 3 months for ATI to fix some issues with Clear Sky and Dead Space and then I gave up and moved on. to me it seems that ATI has more issues when new games come out than Nvidia does. I cant even imagine them working overtime on a niche technology to keep it working properly.

Can massive increases in field of view really be fixed with drivers? Or is this something that is game code specific?