Eyefinity Gaming: HP ZR24w or Dell U2410

Mistwalker

Feb 9, 2007
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a trio of monitors (to supplement the 40" TV which I'll continue to use for movies and video watching), primarily for gaming but also for light home office work--nothing graphics-related there. I play pretty much anything, from FPSs to RPGs to arcade racers.

Reading around, gaming-wise the HP seems to pull ahead but lots of AT users are very happy with their Dells. Tough call.

Anyone with advice one way or the other? The Dell is actually cheaper ($500 vs. 580) in Japan. Heck, anyone have a different monitor altogether in that general price range they'd recommend?

Also, quick Crossfire question: to my understanding it's usable when gaming full screen on one monitor or all three, but NOT when gaming on one screen with other applications (web browser, etc.) opened on the others. Is this right?

Thank you kindly for any advice!

Last edited:

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Also, quick Crossfire question: to my understanding it's usable when gaming full screen on one monitor or all three, but NOT when gaming on one screen with other applications (web browser, etc.) opened on the others. Is this right?

Thank you kindly for any advice!

This is correct unless you put the game in a window and run it only on one screen. A set of monitors acts as one monitor of all the screens for the purposes of your desktop resolution. So like if you hit "full screen" on YouTube, it maximizes across all the monitors in the group.

The "Hydravision" plug-in style app for the drivers will let you "sub-maximize" so a browser window will be maximized on one monitor and you can more easily "snap" windows to a particular monitor, but anything that goes "full screen" will still span all the monitors in the Eyefinity group.

Last edited:

Mistwalker

Feb 9, 2007
This is correct unless you put the game in a window and run it only on one screen. A set of monitors acts as one monitor of all the screens for the purposes of your desktop resolution. So like if you hit "full screen" on YouTube, it maximizes across all the monitors in the group.

The "Hydravision" plug-in style app for the drivers will let you "sub-maximize" so a browser window will be maximized on one monitor and you can more easily "snap" windows to a particular monitor, but anything that goes "full screen" will still span all the monitors in the Eyefinity group.
Fantastic, these are the little details it can be hard to nail down wading through reviews and general impressions.

Thank you kindly Concillian, sounds like there's definitely some micro-management to Eyefinity setups even aside from gaming...

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I'm using the 2410s and while I'd like to go x-fire with my next build to get a little smoother experience, I do like that they deliver a clean and clear picture in Valve games and BC2. Maybe someone else has experience with other games and they can attest to performance.

Good luck with the setup.

snuuggles

Nov 2, 2010
There are a number of 24 and 27 inch 120hz monitors out or coming out. Since you don't do photo-editing, the IPS advantage over TN may not matter as much to you as the faster refresh rate.

I don't personally have one (yet), but I'm definitely going to pick one up in the next month or so, not really for the 3d, just for the better refresh rate.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I like my ZR24w, and would get two more if I felt the need for eye-finity, and didn't mind spending an extra 800 bucks. That said, if you go that route, I recommend getting them from Office Depot, since it is about $100 cheaper there than at New Egg (http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...:referralID=NA)

Or at least it was when I bought mine about 3 weeks ago. I haven't checked NewEgg prices since.

EDIT: I missed that you were in Japan. I prefer the HP for the standard Gamut, and better factory color calibration, but it has fewer bells and whistles too. If the Dell is that much cheaper, it might be the better buy for you.

Last edited:

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
It was a tough decision to make, sight unseen, but I went with the ZR24W and absolutely love it. Note that it's a standard gamut monitor, and I believe that the Dell is extended. I think this matters more if you're into photo editing, as opposed to general use / gaming. If I remember correctly, the Dell has additional connection options also. I just needed DVI, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I'm stuck between this choice now and thinking of going with Dual ZR24W I don't really want to deal with the wide colour gamut on the dell plus I can get the HP's alittle cheaper.

How do you find gaming and input lag ?

Mistwalker

Feb 9, 2007
There are a number of 24 and 27 inch 120hz monitors out or coming out. Since you don't do photo-editing, the IPS advantage over TN may not matter as much to you as the faster refresh rate.

I don't personally have one (yet), but I'm definitely going to pick one up in the next month or so, not really for the 3d, just for the better refresh rate.
Definitely has been a factor, I wondered if I could settle for a TN due to the faster refresh rates and response times, but looking at TN panels side by side with IPS...gotta go with the latter. If there was such a thing as a 120Hz IPS monitor coming out I'd consider waiting for it, but can't see such a thing being affordable anyway. :(

To Martimus and stahlhart: how is the AG coating on the ZR24W? Is it no big deal or "annoying but bearable"?

Thank you all kindly for your responses!

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'm stuck between this choice now and thinking of going with Dual ZR24W I don't really want to deal with the wide colour gamut on the dell plus I can get the HP's alittle cheaper.

From what I've read the response time is very good (5ms observed) and the input lag is very acceptable (10ms). I am pondering buying one myself at this point.

As far as the AG coating, I've heard it has a much less noticeable presence than it does on the u2410.

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010

I haven't noticed any difference from the TN panel it replaced (an LG W2340VG).

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Op go here and read this
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

Very good reviews of displays. That monitor is bang for buck. Though its standard gamut it has a reduced price and in gaming you don't really need that extended gamut and don't need to pay that extra 100usd on a Dell or the other 24lp version of hp. For professionals there's NEC.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Definitely has been a factor, I wondered if I could settle for a TN due to the faster refresh rates and response times, but looking at TN panels side by side with IPS...gotta go with the latter. If there was such a thing as a 120Hz IPS monitor coming out I'd consider waiting for it, but can't see such a thing being affordable anyway. :(

To Martimus and stahlhart: how is the AG coating on the ZR24W? Is it no big deal or "annoying but bearable"?

Thank you all kindly for your responses!

The antiglare coating isn't noticable to me. The monitor doesn't collect as much dust as the monitors I have at work, so it is possible that the coating helps with that.

One thing about the monitor is that it is very heavy for a LCD. It is nearly as heavy as the CRT it replaced. I also think that they bezel might be a little wider than normal, at about an inch (versus probably 3/4 inch on my LCDs at work). This isn't an issue for me sicne I only have one monitor, but might be an issue to you in the eyefinity setup.

If you want to know more about the monitor, this is probably the best review I know on it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

Looking at that review, I think I may be wrong about the width of the bezel. it is definitely very deep, but I think it isnt' that wide now. It would probably work fine for Eyefinity, and I think I was just letting the deepness of the bezel make me think it was wider than it is. I very much remember thinking that the panel was much thicker and heavier than I expected. It is very sturdy and well made though, and definitely not made of cheap plastic.

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
I really like the matte screen finish. The LG has a very glossy panel, and it tended to reflect things behind me, especially room lighting at night. With the HP, it's like looking at printing on paper.

The bezel is about 1/2"-5/8" wide and about 1/4" deep. Overall, it's built like a tank compared to the usual displays you see at the store; heavy, solid. There's about an inch and a quarter of brushed aluminum trim around the panel's perimeter.

pcunite

Nov 15, 2007
The HP ZR24w comes highly recommended ... I went with a NEC 2490wuxi2 for professional reasons. Both have similar display appearances. The matte coating is very well done and should not be much of a concern. Basically the two best 24'' IPS displays that don't have wide gamut (I don't want wide gamut) are the HP or the NEC as I've mentioned. Asus just came out with something but I've not had a chance to look at it yet.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999

I've had mine about a year now and love it. I use it for photo/video editing, everyday use and gaming. I don't notice any lag in games or video. I went with this LCD because the antiglare coating looked better to me than the Dells we use at work(2410)... that and I didn't want wide gamut.

Both are great LCD's though flip a coin or go with cost, your call.

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The antiglare coating isn't noticable to me. The monitor doesn't collect as much dust as the monitors I have at work, so it is possible that the coating helps with that.

One thing about the monitor is that it is very heavy for a LCD. It is nearly as heavy as the CRT it replaced. I also think that they bezel might be a little wider than normal, at about an inch (versus probably 3/4 inch on my LCDs at work). This isn't an issue for me sicne I only have one monitor, but might be an issue to you in the eyefinity setup.

If you want to know more about the monitor, this is probably the best review I know on it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

Looking at that review, I think I may be wrong about the width of the bezel. it is definitely very deep, but I think it isnt' that wide now. It would probably work fine for Eyefinity, and I think I was just letting the deepness of the bezel make me think it was wider than it is. I very much remember thinking that the panel was much thicker and heavier than I expected. It is very sturdy and well made though, and definitely not made of cheap plastic.

lol beat you to it. They use the same panels as the lg ones

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
From what I've read the response time is very good (5ms observed) and the input lag is very acceptable (10ms). I am pondering buying one myself at this point.

As far as the AG coating, I've heard it has a much less noticeable presence than it does on the u2410.

I haven't noticed any difference from the TN panel it replaced (an LG W2340VG).

I've had mine about a year now and love it. I use it for photo/video editing, everyday use and gaming. I don't notice any lag in games or video. I went with this LCD because the antiglare coating looked better to me than the Dells we use at work(2410)... that and I didn't want wide gamut.

Both are great LCD's though flip a coin or go with cost, your call.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was already leaning towards the HP and that has sealed the deal for me. I will be glad to be finally getting off these TN panels i've been rocking the last 5 years. I just finished building a HTPC so will probably order two of these at the start of may.

Mistwalker

Feb 9, 2007
Op go here and read this
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

Very good reviews of displays. That monitor is bang for buck. Though its standard gamut it has a reduced price and in gaming you don't really need that extended gamut and don't need to pay that extra 100usd on a Dell or the other 24lp version of hp. For professionals there's NEC.
The antiglare coating isn't noticable to me.
I really like the matte screen finish. With the HP, it's like looking at printing on paper.
The HP ZR24w comes highly recommended ...
I've had mine about a year now and love it. I use it for photo/video editing, everyday use and gaming. I don't notice any lag in games or video. I went with this LCD because the antiglare coating looked better to me than the Dells we use at work(2410)...
Wow! Sounds like the ZR24w is a winner, I don't care about extended gamut as I don't do graphics work...will buy three and post impressions here once they're set up (after a bit of tear shedding over the cost). Thank you all for the impressions and advice!

Starcrosser

Mar 27, 2011
Before long, instead of people mounting dead animals on their walls, as trophies, they are going to mount their purchases.

(As if a twenty-point buck put up any more of a fight against their rifle than would a ten-pointer...)