Eye pain: Difference between TV screen and monitor?

AdeBrax

Jul 15, 2014
Hi All,

For around three months now I've been getting very sore eyes, very quickly, from using a computer (not really eye strain, because this is almost immediate, rather than the result of prolonged use). Oddly, my eyes are not affected in this way by a flat TV screen. Could someone with a bit of technical knowledge please tell me the difference (eg in radiation output types) between a computer monitor and a TV screen? Does a monitor emit only visible light (which shouldn't hurt me!) or is there also something else (eg UV?), and could I filter it out or protect my eyes from it?

I am going to experiment with using a TV screen as a monitor - If I can get it to work, this may help.

Any replies gratefully received - I can hardly bear to look at a computer screen now and it's affecting life and work. Thanks.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
I would look at a couple of things:

1. What is the brightness level between the monitor and the TV?
2. What is the refresh rate between the monitor and the TV? (I highly doubt immediate eye strain would be caused by the this, but it's worth asking)
3. How far are you sitting from either?

4. Another thing to look at is the color temperature of both. I used to get bad eye strain at work (under florescent lights) with x3 monitors that were a cooler color temperature. After installing this (https://justgetflux.com/) and adjusting the color to a warmer color temperature, my eye strain was reduced (NOTE: not eliminated!). Your mileage may vary.

AdeBrax

Jul 15, 2014
Thanks, Both. Good suggestions there, and I have tried all those things - distances from screen, colour temperatures, significantly turning down the blue, investigating refresh rates, and lowering the brightness, along with many other adjustments - but having suffered for around 3 months I really need to get to the bottom of what's hurting my eyes.

I've asked the IT guys at work what kind of radiation actually comes out of a computer monitor (is it just visible light?) - and is it different from what is emitted from a TV screen - but they don't seem to know. If I had this gem of information I could try to eliminate the possible causes of the pain.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
There is no fundamental technological difference between an LCD computer monitor and your typical LCD television. They are both LCD panels with the same overall spectrum (mostly visible, some infrared).

Can you give us some details about the monitor and TV that you are using?

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
My first question are what viewing distance is being used for the monitor because I'd bet if it is on a desk then you're talking about 2 - 3 feet but with a TV you're unlikely to be viewing it at no less than twice and probably much more than that distance. Ambient lighting levels could also be playing a part.

So I'd guess what you're suffering from is some form of eye strain such as Computer Vision Syndrome, convergence insufficiency or maybe, if you're heading towards 40 years old, possible indications of the onset of presbyopia.

Do some online research and see if your syptoms fit and suggested solutions. You may need to see an optician about some corrective eyeware.

Last edited:

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You need to post the exact model numbers of the devices or do some research yourself. Perhaps one is LED backlit on the other is florescent lamp.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Some monitors are just junky. It may just be the brand and the model. As you get older your eyesight may not be what it use to be. Might want to check your vision also. I like Dell HD Monitors.

I don't like the resolution set too high either. If the text is too small that may not be good for you.

As you approach 40 you eyesight starts getting worse. Diabetes and Blood sugar can cause problems also. Diabetes can cause the shape of the eye to change, moving the focal point and causing vision problems.

Last edited:

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
I'd guess PWM and the fact that you don't read a lot of text off your TV. PWM rapidly turns the backlight on and off, which can give people headaches and eye fatigue over time. I, personally, stay away from any LED backlit monitor with PWM. Fatter CFL backlit monitors for me.

Without model #'s people here can't help you.

I also agree with piasabird. Get your eyes checked. Try increasing the size of your text in your windows settings.

I wouldn't worry about radiation. Unlike CRT's, LED and CFL backlit monitors don't put out much beyond visible light.

AdeBrax

Jul 15, 2014
Thanks All, for your helpful suggestions.

Well, my eyes seem to be sensitive to just about all PC monitors now. The model that seems to have caused the problems, initially, was a HP Elitedisplay 241i (24") monitor, attached to a HP Z230 workstation with Windows 7. I've used desktop PCs without any issues for 30 years, but this combination hurt my eyes straight away (serious pain that lasted for days), and since then my eyes seem to have become sensitized to all monitor use. I'm having to use a Blackberry with a tiny screen to read and answer e-mails. My TV is a Sony Bravia model, and doesn't hurt me, but of course Mantrid-Drone is right to say that I view it from longer distances.

My eyes were fine before, so this is sudden and coincided with the introduction of a new PC and monitor. If it puts out only visible light, it shouldn't hurt me, should it? I've read that monitors put out various electro-magnetic radiation well outside the visible spectrum, and also that they can emit quite dangerous levels of blue light. I've no idea how much truth there is in any of that - but if I could isolate the thing that causes my eyes to hurt as soon as I look at a monitor, I might be half-way to solving the problem. Any further thoughts greatly appreciated - thanks again. Ade

AdeBrax

Jul 15, 2014
ps - I've had my eyes checked by two different opticians and they have no idea why computer monitors are hurting my eyes. They can see the symptoms, but not the cause. I am slightly long-sighted but the glasses I use for computer use have been confirmed as correct for the viewing distances - I've been trying everything I can think of, for months, to find a solution, because so much of my work is computer-based.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Are you able to go into a computer store and look at monitors/laptops to see if they all hurt your eyes?

Maybe try a Best Buy or Micorcenter?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Thanks All, for your helpful suggestions.

Well, my eyes seem to be sensitive to just about all PC monitors now. The model that seems to have caused the problems, initially, was a HP Elitedisplay 241i (24") monitor, attached to a HP Z230 workstation with Windows 7. I've used desktop PCs without any issues for 30 years, but this combination hurt my eyes straight away (serious pain that lasted for days), and since then my eyes seem to have become sensitized to all monitor use. I'm having to use a Blackberry with a tiny screen to read and answer e-mails. My TV is a Sony Bravia model, and doesn't hurt me, but of course Mantrid-Drone is right to say that I view it from longer distances.

My eyes were fine before, so this is sudden and coincided with the introduction of a new PC and monitor. If it puts out only visible light, it shouldn't hurt me, should it? I've read that monitors put out various electro-magnetic radiation well outside the visible spectrum, and also that they can emit quite dangerous levels of blue light. I've no idea how much truth there is in any of that - but if I could isolate the thing that causes my eyes to hurt as soon as I look at a monitor, I might be half-way to solving the problem. Any further thoughts greatly appreciated - thanks again. Ade

The 241i is LED backlit whereas your Bravia may be CCFL backlit if it is an older model. Can you give us the exact model of your TV?

As others have mentioned, LED backlit monitors use pulse width modulation (PWM) to alter their brightness, what this means is that they turn the LEDs on and off very rapidly to give a certain average light output. It can bother some people. Try finding an older, CCFL backlit monitor to compare against.

Also, the placebo effect can play a strong role here. If you start looking at any object, fully expecting your eyes to hurt, then I can guarantee you that your eyes will start hurting after a few minutes.

AdeBrax

Jul 15, 2014
Hi,

My TV is a Sony Bravia, model no. KDL-32BX300 (bought 2010). I've tried several computer monitors, including older ones (including an hp 1702, 17" monitor) but they all affect my eyes. Perhaps my eyes reacted badly to the PWM and have become sensitised.

Believe me, I would love it to be a placebo effect, 'cos then I could get on with my life, but I'm genuinely suffering and need an answer.

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
For me eye pain and headache on the computer was caused by pwm back light. Just turn the brightness to 100%, who ever came up with pwm back light need to be shot!!

AdeBrax

Jul 15, 2014
Thanks, Both. Good tips on PWM (although I'm not sure I'm ready for 100% brightness just yet!). Ade

goobernoodles

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2005
I would look at a couple of things:
4. Another thing to look at is the color temperature of both. I used to get bad eye strain at work (under florescent lights) with x3 monitors that were a cooler color temperature. After installing this (https://justgetflux.com/) and adjusting the color to a warmer color temperature, my eye strain was reduced (NOTE: not eliminated!). Your mileage may vary.
I definitely recommend flux. I turn it off all the time when I game, and it's ridiculous just how bright my screen gets. To think that's the way it was running 100% of the time beforehand...

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
*snip* I've read that monitors put out various electro-magnetic radiation well outside the visible spectrum

Believe me, I would love it to be a placebo effect, 'cos then I could get on with my life, but I'm genuinely suffering and need an answer.

I'm sorry buddy, but you're not the first person coming to forums hoping to find evidence of "radiation" from monitors causing eye strain.

To put it bluntly, the "problem" is your eyes or your head. You may not be used to modern screens; the size, or the shape, or the colour. But more likely you're not used to the modern techniques used in the backlighting (which I am not an expert).

I'd suggest researching the subject and looking into possibilities raised by the posters. However these things are trial & error for everyone, so perhaps you just have to try out a bunch of monitors and see what works.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had some initial eye-strain from my Westinghouse 24" HDTV / monitor(s), and I couldn't seem to adjust them to how I wanted them to prevent eye-strain.

I'm pretty certain, that they use PWM to control the LED backlight. Initially, I had turned the contrast and especially the brightness down, but that seemed to make the problem become worse.

I discovered a setting on the monitor for "Energy Star", and lo and behold, whatever setting(s) that mode uses, are much less straining on my eyes.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
set up your computer to connect to your TV (does your gpu have HDMI out?), get a wireless keyboard/mouse (or logitech k400 or other wireless keyboard w/touchpad or trackball) and a dinner tray table if necessary.

you may need to mess with some GPU settings like overscan/HDTV mode/etc to get the TV to display correctly, and adjust windows DPI/text settings so that most things are readable, or set default zoom level on web browser, etc.

sit in your normal TV viewing position.

should help determine if it's computer content (text/etc), or watching TV shows/movies, or the thought of using a computer, etc.
might also determine if distance is the issue. What happens when you sit pretty close to the TV?
may also be related to your room lighting, though unlikely. Lots of offices and other places use flickering prone flourescent lighting, which can be annoying on the eyes/brain.

In any case, this would solve the need to use a "computer monitor"

Last edited:

oynaz

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
As have been stated by others, forget the harmful radiation angle. Its a myth, or have at least been fixed many years ago.

Start with f.lux
This will take 5 minutes to install and set up, and might well fix your problem.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Old thread. But, for me, the type of the glass was the greatest factor in eye pain with lcd monitors. Any of the shiny, glossy screens with a thick layer of glass, and black is not black but a mirror. Part of it was you have the base image you're trying to focus on, then the mirrored image in the front edge of the glass, and the mirrored image in the back edge of the glass. I'm not joking, just looking at a powered off screen like of that type is enough to cause pain. HP's early monitors of this style were the absolute worst.

The first LCD monitor I bought for myself years ago caused me so much eye strain, I tried everything to get used to it the first week but had to give up, the headache was so bad even after ditching the lcd monitor and going back to my crt the headache lasted another 5 whole days! I can only put up with matte finish monitors.

I found a Gateway 24" monitor back in the days they were $800, and it's still going strong, I'm dreading the day it finally kicks the bucket! :eek:

Another cause of pain for me is how the computer displays fonts. It's the primary reason I'm still on Windows XP. No newer version of Windows renders fonts the same way as XP could be configured, and cause me strain to focus on the screen for longer than ~15minutes at a time.

I also have to kill the white level of any monitor or tv. It's difficult finding a balance where the darker shades are visible but the lighter shades are significantly reduced in intensity.

And the viewing angles also cause pain for some (me included). It's more apparent with the larger monitors, if they have poor viewing angles, just looking onto the monitor, because of the angles the color you see in the left eye can be significantly different enough than the color you see in the right to cause problems.

Of course I am an exception. I could spot a crt set to 60hz from across a hallway. The pain of a 21" crt @ 60hz displaying an all-white image...

Anyways, moral of the story is there are lots and lots of different possibilities.

Last edited:

tigerfan

Mar 20, 2016
For around three months now I've been getting very sore eyes, very quickly, from using a computer (not really eye strain, because this is almost immediate, rather than the result of prolonged use). Oddly, my eyes are not affected in this way by a flat TV screen. Could someone with a bit of technical knowledge please tell me the difference (eg in radiation output types) between a computer monitor and a TV screen? Does a monitor emit only visible light (which shouldn't hurt me!) or is there also something else (eg UV?), and could I filter it out or protect my eyes from it?
QUOTE]

Hello. I came across this thread while searching for a cure. I have the EXACT same issue as the OP. I can feel my pain arriving in under 2 minutes and it's triggered by anything that is back lit including all computer screens, my IPhone, the navigation unit in my truck, and even the LCD keypad on our home security system. I've had this issue since late in 2011 and have yet to get any relief. I've seen 5 different ophthalmologists including a trip to the U of Michigan's eye center. Any new information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..........Matt