Eye exercises

MidNiteMysT

May 23, 2005
Has anyone ever done eye exercises? Im curious if any of you guys have done them. I've heard of them but never really believed it could improve your vision a lot, maybe get a little better but nothing drastic. Does it even really work or is the only option eye laser surgery. I think this monitor is kiling my eyes and ive heard to look into the distance for a minute every half hour youre on the computer to refocus your eyes is good.

So has anyone ever done it and has good results? or is it just very effective? if at all

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: MidNiteMysT
I think this monitor is kiling my eyes and ive heard to look into the distance for a minute every half hour youre on the computer to refocus your eyes is good.

I look at a 19" CRT at 60Hz for several hours a day with no breaks and my vision is still perfect. From what I can tell, eye damage from monitors is exaggerate.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Yes, after I started doing eye exercises, I can now process more photons for a longer period of time than before. It's really been an amazing improvement...not to mention you get that nice toned look around the iris.

My regime:
30 reps at 640nm, then
30 reps at 450nm, then
15 "power reps" with full multifrequency light.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: jagec
Yes, after I started doing eye exercises, I can now process more photons for a longer period of time than before. It's really been an amazing improvement...not to mention you get that nice toned look around the iris.

My regime:
30 reps at 640nm, then
30 reps at 450nm, then
15 "power reps" with full multifrequency light.
Pfft, eye pushups are all anyone needs. :roll:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Are you talking about those magic eye 3D things?
Those really work if you're near sighted.
I was really into those when I was a little kid, and after looking at them several hours a day, I became far sighted for a few years.
But after using the computer for years, I've become a bit near-sighted now.
I need to get those magic eye books again. Not as interesting now as it was when I was 8.

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Originally posted by: virtualgames0
I was really into those when I was a little kid, and after looking at them several hours a day, I became far sighted for a few years.
I need to get those magic eye books again. Not as interesting now as it was when I was 8.

I sure hope you're joking.

You aren't going to change the optics of the eye by doing exercises, palming, See Clearly, or any other method.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Midlander

You aren't going to change the optics of the eye by doing exercises, palming, See Clearly, or any other method.

Just like how you wouldn't change the optics of the eye by staring at books 5 inches away from your face? :roll:

CStan

Apr 1, 2002
I remember reading somewhere years ago that it is reccomended that you exercise your eyes like this:
-stare at something far for thirty seconds
-stare at something close for thirty seconds
-roll your eyes clockwise three times
-roll your eyes counter clockwise three times
I kinda do these without thinking when I'm on the computer.
My last physical:
-left eye 20-13
-right eye 20-14
-both eyes 20-10
So better than perfect across the board.

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002

Just like how you wouldn't change the optics of the eye by staring at books 5 inches away from your face? :roll:

What you are referring to is called accomodation. The ciliary muscle contracts, relaxing the suspersory ligaments, resulting in an increase in the lens curvature. This results in a shorter focal length, necessary for near vision. The opposite happens for far vision.

This does not change the shape of the eye. Farsightedness (hyperopia) results from the eyeball being too short. Nearsightedness (myopia) results from the eyeball being too long. No type of exercise will change that shape.

By the way, presbyopia, where the lens becomes stiff with age, means that the lens cannot sufficiently accomodate for near vision. This is why reading glasses are eventually necessary for everyone who is not near-sighted.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I tried the See Clearly program. Only used it for a few days, so can't say if it will indeed work. But the 1st time, you can feel the eye muscle strain. But after getting used to the fast eye movements, it felt fine. So if one were to stick to the program, I don't see why it would't help somewhat decrease your depenency on corrective eyewear.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
I think this monitor is kiling my eyes and ive heard to look into the distance for a minute every half hour youre on the computer to refocus your eyes is good.

I look at a 19" CRT at 60Hz for several hours a day with no breaks and my vision is still perfect. From what I can tell, eye damage from monitors is exaggerate.

I wish I were that lucky. I'm trying to believe the claims about crappy eyes being genetic, but then I look at my parents and see that they have perfect vision. Meanwhile, all siblings and cousins of the "Photonic" age are all 2 steps from being legally blind. Or maybe it was that retarded phase where I stared at the sun in Grade 4...

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Japanese anime does wonders for the eyes...get on a strict regime right away!!

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
There was an article in Consumer Reports a few months ago saying there were several complaints about that See Clearly method. One of the testimonials was from a guy who complained that the method gave him headaches and he stopped after a couple days. It sounded like the method was about as legitimate as all those other "this statement has not been evaluated by the FDA" supplements.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: alrocky
How much did that See Clearly program cost

;) The power of the Internet :)

Originally posted by: alrocky
and why'd you give it up?

Just didn't bother to get serious and use the program daily.

MidNiteMysT

May 23, 2005
Originally posted by: CStan
I remember reading somewhere years ago that it is reccomended that you exercise your eyes like this:
-stare at something far for thirty seconds
-stare at something close for thirty seconds
-roll your eyes clockwise three times
-roll your eyes counter clockwise three times
I kinda do these without thinking when I'm on the computer.
My last physical:
-left eye 20-13
-right eye 20-14
-both eyes 20-10
So better than perfect across the board.

Thats sounds like a good idea. Afterall, it can only make it better and refocusing can only make it better. Im also gonna try those magic 3d pictures a few times a day when im not busy, plus they are just fun! now if i can only find that book i bought in like 4th grade...

zinkpig

May 13, 2001
growing up in southern India, my parents made me go to this eye exercise camp (yep ! imagine the excitement) It was this exercise regime they put us thru that lasted 2 hours. It cosisted of a bunch of things including reading fine print in candle light, to keeping your eye on a bouncing ball, rolling your eyes, finally ending in a 20 min rexaling session with some cotton pads soaked in ice cold water covering the eyes (boy did that feel good). The camp lasted a couple of weeks and was meant to teach you these exercises so that you could do them at home. Ofcourse playing street cricket was more interesting/important once I retunred home. After a few months of doing nothing following the camp my prviously myopic eyes(-0.75) became normal !!!!! I cant say for sure it was the eye exercise, my sister and mom were myopic too this did nothing for them after months of regular exercise. so YMMV :)

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Has anyone ever done eye exercises? Im curious if any of you guys have done them. I've heard of them but never really believed it could improve your vision a lot, maybe get a little better but nothing drastic. Does it even really work or is the only option eye laser surgery. I think this monitor is kiling my eyes and ive heard to look into the distance for a minute every half hour youre on the computer to refocus your eyes is good.

So has anyone ever done it and has good results? or is it just very effective? if at all

I think it would work if for some reason you needed stronger muscles around your eye.

I don't think it would work if your vision problem was unrelated to muscle tissue. It's not like retinal damage can be fixed by looking at things.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002

What you are referring to is called accomodation. The ciliary muscle contracts, relaxing the suspersory ligaments, resulting in an increase in the lens curvature. This results in a shorter focal length, necessary for near vision. The opposite happens for far vision.

This does not change the shape of the eye. Farsightedness (hyperopia) results from the eyeball being too short. Nearsightedness (myopia) results from the eyeball being too long. No type of exercise will change that shape.

By the way, presbyopia, where the lens becomes stiff with age, means that the lens cannot sufficiently accomodate for near vision. This is why reading glasses are eventually necessary for everyone who is not near-sighted.

Um you missed the point.
If you stare at things often up close, you will be near sighted.
If you read books 5 inches from your face 6 hours a day, you will quickly become near sighted.
It's common knowledge.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

i disagree, too much reading at a young age can change the shape of the eyeball. it's not just genetic in my opinion.

our eyes were not meant to do so much up close stuff. it does help to rest your eyes every 15 to 20 minutes you read by looking out into the distance.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: zinkpig
growing up in southern India, my parents made me go to this eye exercise camp (yep ! imagine the excitement) It was this exercise regime they put us thru that lasted 2 hours. It cosisted of a bunch of things including reading fine print in candle light, to keeping your eye on a bouncing ball, rolling your eyes, finally ending in a 20 min rexaling session with some cotton pads soaked in ice cold water covering the eyes (boy did that feel good). The camp lasted a couple of weeks and was meant to teach you these exercises so that you could do them at home. Ofcourse playing street cricket was more interesting/important once I retunred home. After a few months of doing nothing following the camp my prviously myopic eyes(-0.75) became normal !!!!! I cant say for sure it was the eye exercise, my sister and mom were myopic too this did nothing for them after months of regular exercise. so YMMV :)

I was always told it was bad to read in candle light...

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004

Um you missed the point.
If you stare at things often up close, you will be near sighted.
If you read books 5 inches from your face 6 hours a day, you will quickly become near sighted.
It's common knowledge.
I'm on the computer 18hours+ a day, I've got better than 20/20 vision...