Eye exam-> Pupil distance: Does it matter?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i went for an eye exam today. this was 1/2 doctor's section, 1/2 eye glasses store.

after The optomitrist was done, i asked for my pupil distance. she said someone up front can help me w/that.

so i sat in eyeglasses section for a couple of min, and a guy (salesman?) finished up my paperwork. he said my insurance pays for $125 in frames, and asked if i would be interested in new glasses. i said no. i then asked for my pupil distance, and he said 66mm.
and he gave me my eyesight info and was about to leave.

i asked him how he determined it was 66mm w/o doing any measurements. he said it was in the doctor's notes.

WTFBBQ?!

i dont believe him. i think since i didnt want to buy glasses, he didnt want to waste time w/me anymore and just made up the #. if it was in the doctor's notes, why didnt the doctor tell me when i asked her? (she told me my prescription.)

and how much does pupil distance matter?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
They are probably losing a ton of sales due to cheaper online deals. They probably purposefully didn't help you out. lol

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
Just measure your PD yourself. All you need is a mirror and a ruler. (or you can have someone else measure it for you...its not that hard)

Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDI
i asked him how he determined it was 66mm w/o doing any measurements. he said it was in the doctor's notes.

WTFBBQ?!

i dont believe him. i think since i didnt want to buy glasses, he didnt want to waste time w/me anymore and just made up the #. if it was in the doctor's notes, why didnt the doctor tell me when i asked her? (she told me my prescription.)

In my experience, it's usually the guys at the lens&frame store who measure your PD. But I did have a doctor measure it for me once.

Check your prescription: do you see numbers like 66 or 33 written somewhere? The average PD is 62mm (or 31mm per side) so if you find numbers close to that on your prescription, you can use them.

and how much does pupil distance matter?

It matters a good deal. The PD lets the optician know where to center the lens on the frame, so that the center of the lens and the center of your pupil line up. Think about how your camera would perform if you moved the lens 5mm to the left.

PD is not hard to measure. You can do it yourself with a ruler and a mirror, or get a friend to help out. Get three people to measure your PD, then average out the results.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: gsethi
Just measure your PD yourself. All you need is a mirror and a ruler. (or you can have someone else measure it for you...its not that hard)

Yep, OPie is an idiot as has been documented many times before.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, pupil distance does matter especially in the higher powers. Mild headaches can start sometimes...

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, pupil distance does matter especially in the higher powers. Mild headaches can start sometimes...