Exxon joins climate-change conspiracy, advocates revenue-neutral carbon-tax

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, cuz when the propaganda you're fed is different from the other country's propaganda the answer is obviously that THEIR propaganda is the bogus one.

Fern

It certainly is, when the Objective Data says it is.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Oh -- I have a solution for it alright. Make fossil fuel obsolete.

But that's not easy. There is no known practical fuel alternative that can send a 90,000 lb. MAC-truck load down the highway or fly 400 people from here to Chicago.

So -- why worry?

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Gas-The-Norton-Paperback/dp/0393326470

There should be webpages somewhere summarizing remarks that author and others had made at certain conferences in recent years.

A conservative denier and pundit wrote an op-ed recently suggesting "we have 400 years-worth of fossil fuel left." That can only apply to coal. Scientists such as Goodstein think there will be severe shortages of oil in mere decades.

It's a finite planet, some 22,000 miles in circumference. The atmosphere is a relatively thin layer of gas. The oil deposits owe their creation to piles of dead organic matter from 5 million to 200 million years old. It takes at least a 100,000 years of heat and pressure to create oil from whatever goo is in one place, for instance dead plankton sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

Oh. Sorry. My error. 24,901 miles.

so no real solution. thanks.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
you man-made climate change believers have no solutions.

Increasing taxes on everyone isnt a solution.

I know it'll make you feel better, but it wont change anything.

Actually, we do have solutions. They are called renewable energy sources! Wind energy in particular is on par with the cost of 'clean' coal. Other sources are generally more expensive, but get this... We have a shitload of money to invest in it! The problem is we hand all that tax money over to the oligarchs, like the corporate welfare offense department to start and fight meaningless endless wars.

Germany Sets New Record, Generating 74 Percent Of Power Needs From Renewable Energy
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/05/13/3436923/germany-energy-records/

China, India, Africa, all have a long way to go to match the USAs energy usage, none of those places have a real interest in reducing emissions. Until a good majority of the people in those countries have a basic standard of living similar to ours, they wont really do anything.

Do you realize how stupid this argument is? It LITERALLY sounds like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum.

"BUT MOMMY, BILLY DIDN"T HAVE TO CLEAN HIS ROOM TODAY!"

To which your mother would retort, "Well, I am not Billy's mother!"

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
so no real solution. thanks.

Recognizing mysticjbird's mention of "renewables," making oil obsolete isn't just "a solution." It's an imperative -- anything else be damned.

Just the Deepwater Horizon disaster points up the growing scarcity. They were drilling in mile-deep water to tap the Macondo Prospect.

Fracking, tar-sands. Except for the newly-discovered North Dakota deposits, we're beginning to scratch the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

Reminds me of Daniel Day Lewis' script-line, talking to the supplicant preacher he's about to murder at the end of "There Will Be Blood:"

"Look . . . you have a straw . . . and I have a straw . . . and my straw is in your milkshake. I drink your milkshake! I drink it up! . . . . Drai-nage! Drai-nage!"

So with that, I'll end with his very last line when the butler comes in to find him sitting there with a bone on his plate and the preacher's blood draining out of his head:

"I'm finished!"