Extremely strange Power Supply Problem. Desperate for answers.

CelticGamer

Dec 4, 2018
I am having an extremely strange issue with a brand new power supply, a Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W gold. I'm at witts ends trying to troubleshoot and figure out what's going wrong, but I'm totally at a loss and would like to see if anyone can figure this out.

The power supply, from startup, to playing 20 different games, stress tests, and everything else in between, is totally silent, operates perfectly fine, and is powering everything just fine. However, this is where it gets weird, very weird.

The power supply, in several video games and their menus, is making a grinding and fast paced clicking noise. The weird part is, it only happens at very specific parts, and with 100% consistency.

1.Ghost Recon Wildlands. When loading a specific part of the menu, the loud clicking noise will appear. However, when you increase the resolution, and put heavier load on the GPU, the sound stops. Vise versa, decrease the resolution and the load on the GPU, the sound stops. It is only at a very specific part of the menu, on specific graphics settings, that this clicking and grinding noise will appear from the power supply.

2.Fortnite. Load the game up, and go into the Graphics options. Set the resolution scale to 4k, no sounds. Set the resolution scale to 720P, no sounds. Now set the resolution scale to 1080P, and bam, the clicking and grinding starts up. You can literally slowly adjust the load on the GPU, and watch the sound fade away as you either raise the GPU load, or decrease it.

3. Resident Evil 6 Benchmark. Boot the game up in 4k, and at the menu, the grinding and clicking appears. Drop the resolution to 1440P, the sound totally stops.

4. Firestrike Benchmark. The clicking and grinding will happen at the same exact part of the Benchmark run every single time. The entire benchmark runs fine, except for this one specific part.

Some notes.

1. The sound happens whether the graphics card is overclocked or not. Makes no difference.

2. The sound is 110% coming from the power supply itself and not the GPU or elsewhere. I had a few others I asked to tell me where the sound was coming from, all said the power supply. It is not coil whine from the GPU.

3. When you are in a part of the game when the sound is appearing, backing out to the desktop, and opening various stress tests such as Cinebench, or CPUz stress test, which induce more load onto the power supply, then going back into the game, the sound will still be there, despite a different load being put on the power supply.

4. Tried different power outlets, no effect. Tried different surge protector, no effect.

5. Made sure nothing was vibrating inside the case, or the power supply itself, no effect.

6. Installed older GPU drivers, no effect.

At this point, I'm at a total loss. This behavior makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I'm frustrated beyond belief. I am not experienced in replacing computer parts, and am dreading unhooking this power supply, sending it back, going a week or two with no computer, then risking screwing something up when I reinstall the new one.

Can anyone out there even speculate as to what is causing this anomaly? Cause I've read every thread that I can find, and have never seen anything like this before.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
No idea. Sounds like the PSU has some type of defect when putting a load on it, and instead of coil whine, you get some type of clicking. It could be a bad relay or something, or it could be a bad fan bearing that makes that noise when it increases above a certain RPM. That model of PSU you bought has a really aggressive fan profile, so any kind of bearing defect would be heard. It stops the fan under certain lower loads, so that could be what you hear when the fan kicks on and ramps up really quite high.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-750w-psu,4928-5.html

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9RL1AvNjUxNTUzL29yaWdpbmFsL1Jlc3VsdC0yNC0zM19GYW5fUlBNX05vaXNlX0dyYXBoLkpQRw==

The only time I ever hear my power supplies click, is when I power them off, but that is normal.

However, your issue sounds like you should contact Thermaltake's customer service to see what they have to say unless you can live with what is doing, and hopefully the problem is a just an annoyance and not something that will cause your PSU to fail. Thermaltake has had a so-so reputation with their quality control with their PSU lineup over the years, and they seem to have improved a bit over the years, so maybe you just were unlucky and got a dud unit.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
To eliminate the fan as source, establish the system in the sound producing mode, then manually momentarily stop the PSU fan blade using a flexible tool such as a piece of cardboard that wont damage the blade (eg, due to sudden stop or nick the blade).

I have a 650watt Antec PSU that was purchased new then came down with a noisy (clicking) fan annoyance after 30 days. I decided that it was just easier & cheaper to repair the unit myself as the fan noise problem with that type unit seemed to be not uncommonly reported on the network forums.

Turns out that an improper size axial tension spring was used in the uncommon (130mm I think) sized ADDA fan used in that PSU. Although I did replace the PSU fan with a sleeve bearing unit, I weas actually ab;le to disassemble the ADDA fan and manually modify the axial tension spring to eliminate the noise. (Actually, Ive gotten quite good at fan repair; eg, repacking laptop bearing fans with moly grease works phenomenally ...... ).

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Also turns out graphics cards can click (and make additional other types of sounds).

Recommend that during the problematic noises, use a wooden dowel the end of which being placed on such components as PSU, graphics card heat sink/board, motherboard bridges, hard drives, etc. to attempt to listen to conducted noise to identify the source (at least to the component level).

Ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3010787/psu-coil-whine-grinding-sound.html

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
TL;DR

...but any issue that is out of the realm of normal operation should immediately warrant an RMA.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Searching the forums, you should find that the issue with this is that often when there isnt an obvious catastrophic problem, the manufacturer returns the same unit without any actual repair. (That's why I would put a reference mark on any RMA unit to determine if the sent unit turns out to be the one subsequently received as RMA replacement.)

Additionally:

- Too many similar complaints (like in the case of the clicking ADDA fans) indicates a design problem inherent in the unit that simply is likely to resurface (despite being sent a replacement unit).

- Sunk costs involving time and trouble for own analysis and possible RMA postage expenses along with non-availability ot he original PSU component during RMA process.

Sometimes it is just more expedient and even cost effective to diagnose and take care of the issue on a personal basis.

CelticGamer

Dec 4, 2018
Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I attempted to stop the fan as was suggested, only to discover that there is some type of plastic cover is covering the top of the fan. So that idea is out.

It was suggested that graphics cards can make this clicking sound. I'm certain that's true, however, in this case, I'm 110% certain it's coming from the power supply.

As closely as I listen, as hard as I try, I just can't make out whether it's the fan, or something else. It does sound like it's coming from the left side of the power supply, but I can't be sure.

The biggest issue I have with returning the power supply is

1. I'm inexperienced with putting any components together, and do not feel confident about unhooking the current one and rewiring the new one.

2. The manufacturer is not going to be able to replicate this issue. As I have already described, it's only at completely specific moments. Like what was suggested earlier, they could possibly just sent the same unit back after deeming nothing is wrong.

So lets assume for a second that it is not the fan making the noise. Can anyone just speculate as to what could possibly causing the sound?

If I knew the power supply was going to continue to function fine, then I could live with the noise. Not knowing if something catastrophic is going to happen, that is what makes we worried.

Last edited:

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Clicking & grinding do sound like things which associate with a fan bearing issue. (Ive even run into fan blades clicking because they are wacking on wires inside the PSU and your Thermaltake is known for long internal wire runs.)

Below is detailed review of your particular unit which also shows detailed pixes of the unit's interior.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/18/thermaltake_toughpower_grand_rgb_750w_psu_review/

Regarding clicking, I dont see mention of any relays, but your particular model has a zero fan speed mode and use of a relay would not be a surprise.

In general, the review is favorable regarding the units low or even no noise, even under load. One of the comments though is concern about the fan that is used (a modified sleeve type - see build quality section of review), but it is more about longevity concern than of noise concern. However, when a fan begins to wear out, the classic sign is that it begins to make noise.

Given the situation, I recommend that you pull the unit, mark it and send it to the manufacturer for RMA with a note enclosed telling them that the noise is under certain conditions and is objectionable indicating either a mechanical or possible electrical issue and a replacement is thus requested.

When you remove the PSU, just mark & remove the connectors from the PSU (and not the components). Just send in the PSU (box) without cables if they will allow that. This should make reassembly of the system pretty much risk free as all you will need to do is re-insert the power cables back into their respective PSU power ports.

Good Luck

CelticGamer

Dec 4, 2018
Looks like I have no choice here, and am going to play it safe and return it.

Does anyone find it strange that the noise only happens at a very specific time? Why would it make the noise at 75% GPU usage in one particular game, but no noise at 76%, or 20%, or 100% usage? Or the next game, making at noise at 1080P, but nothing at 720P, or nothing at 4K.

I'm sorry but something is off in this situation. And a part of me is afraid that a new power supply may not fix the situation. I hope Im wrong about that.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Looks like I have no choice here, and am going to play it safe and return it.

Does anyone find it strange that the noise only happens at a very specific time? Why would it make the noise at 75% GPU usage in one particular game, but no noise at 76%, or 20%, or 100% usage? Or the next game, making at noise at 1080P, but nothing at 720P, or nothing at 4K.

I'm sorry but something is off in this situation. And a part of me is afraid that a new power supply may not fix the situation. I hope Im wrong about that.

Without seeing your 5v and 3.3v loads, I can't say for sure, but you might be in a crossload situation:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/when-is-cross-load-an-issue.2172082/

Most of the components in your system should be drawing off the 12v rail, but . . .

CelticGamer

Dec 4, 2018
So, I just got off the phone with the manufacturer that built my PC. I have a warranty through them, and they will be replacing the power supply rather than Thermaltake themselves.

Anyway, I have no idea if this is of any signifigance or not, but I was told that they are currently waiting for more stock to come in, and that there are 11 people ahead of me who already placed RMA's for a replacement for this particular power supply.

Whether that amount, 11, is a sign of any type of issue that these power supply's are having, I don't know, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Depends on how many total systems were sold with that PSU. Thermaltake usually does not top my list of PSU brands to buy anyway (I am an EVGA G2/P2 junkie).

CelticGamer

Dec 4, 2018
UPDATE

I almost don't want to make this post, as I don't want to jinx myself lol.

I received the new power supply earlier this afternoon. I have been testing it very thoroughly the last 4 or 5 hours now. Despite my best efforts, I can happily report that I am unable to replicate the noise the previous power supply was making. So for so good. Let's hope it stays that way.

Thanks to everyone who took time to help. It is greatly appreciated.