Question Extremely slow speeds (5mbps or less) connecting to servers around the country (US)

merk

May 29, 2003
Hi all,
Unfortunately i have comcast for my ISP and their support seems abysmal. Went through a bunch of useless steps, only to be told they can't do anything because I have my own router. Got their router and now they want to send a tech, which i don't think will do anything.
I'm in Michigan. If i run a speed test to detroit or chicago i get good speeds. I also get good speeds running a test to NY and FL as well. But if i run a test to OH, CA, TX, AK (the ones i picked at random) they all come back at less then 5mbps. I tried two international servers - server in London Eng seemed good, but Japan was also under 5mbps.

I understand the further away a server is the slower it's likely to be. But 5mbps is ridiculous. Especially over weeks.

I also had my friend, who lives 4-5 miles away and is also on comcast, but is NOT having these issues, run a tracert to one of the servers. Everything AFTER it leaves the comcast network is the same between us. It's only the first 7-8 hops that differ.

I have tried running the test from my desktop (wired) using FF and chrome. And I have tried running the test using my cell phone over wifi. Same results. And I have tried it using my own router/modem, as well as using their router/modem.

Is there anything anyone can think of that I might be able to do on my end that would effect this? Does anyone think sending a tech out here will do anything? I don't think it's just a simple issue of one of their switches being overloaded, because it seems like all the traffic goes over the same local comcast hops - both for the fast servers and slow ones. But since my friend gets decent speeds and the only difference in the trace is the local comcast hops, it seems like it has to be something on their end.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions (besides ditching comcast).

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Post the traces from you and your friend and compare the hops. If they're identical then it's something in your network setup. If they're different exit points or hops then it's something in the routing on the CC side.

Sending a tech only confirms the readings on the line back to the hub. If there's a bad fitting somewhere in the path it could produce issues along the path out of their network.

If you use a VPN you can bypass some of the non sense and see if it's a routing issue.

merk

May 29, 2003
The external hops are the same the local ones differ. However, the local hops are the same for me no matter what server i test with. So, it doesn't seem like something as simple as a bad/overloaded switch.

The VPN is a good workaround - thanks. I don't know why i didn't try that.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The local ones are where you should see the difference in response times or timeouts. When I was on cable usually the first 8-10 hops were just betting outside of the provider network. They did vary a bit depending on the destination though. There might be a route that's sending things across a slower backhaul link for some reason. Maybe a residual change from a maintenance they performed. There might be a fiber cut downstream causing a regional redirect around it. The VPN changes your egress to things and might be faster if you connect to a location that has the faster route.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Can i suggest you use a different public DNS server instead of using the ISP's?

See if Cloudflare or Google DNS helps?
I personally use Quad9 and Google as backup.

ProviderPrimary DNSSecondary DNS
Best Free & Public DNS Servers
Google8.8.8.88.8.4.4
Control D76.76.2.076.76.10.0
Quad99.9.9.9149.112.112.112
OpenDNS Home208.67.222.222208.67.220.220
Cloudflare1.1.1.11.0.0.1
CleanBrowsing185.228.168.9185.228.169.9
Alternate DNS76.76.19.1976.223.122.150
AdGuard DNS94.140.14.1494.140.15.15

Sometimes bad DNS resolves can cause what your experiencing.
Like the lagging at the hops.

Last edited:

merk

May 29, 2003
The local ones are where you should see the difference in response times or timeouts. When I was on cable usually the first 8-10 hops were just betting outside of the provider network. They did vary a bit depending on the destination though. There might be a route that's sending things across a slower backhaul link for some reason. Maybe a residual change from a maintenance they performed. There might be a fiber cut downstream causing a regional redirect around it. The VPN changes your egress to things and might be faster if you connect to a location that has the faster route.

That's the confusing thing here. The first few hops are where there's a difference between myself and my friend. But if the first few hops i go over were the issue. why aren't they slow for everywhere? Why is it just slow for this specific regions?

Can i suggest you use a different public DNS server instead of using the ISP's?

See if Cloudflare or Google DNS helps?
I personally use Quad9 and Google as backup.

Best Free & Public DNS Servers
ProviderPrimary DNSSecondary DNS
Google8.8.8.88.8.4.4
Control D76.76.2.076.76.10.0
Quad99.9.9.9149.112.112.112
OpenDNS Home208.67.222.222208.67.220.220
Cloudflare1.1.1.11.0.0.1
CleanBrowsing185.228.168.9185.228.169.9
Alternate DNS76.76.19.1976.223.122.150
AdGuard DNS94.140.14.1494.140.15.15

Sometimes bad DNS resolves can cause what your experiencing.
Like the lagging at the hops.

I actually just thought of this last night. I didn't really think it would effect download speeds - just initial page loads. And it did speed up initial page loads. No effect on overall speeds though. Thanks

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
That's the confusing thing here. The first few hops are where there's a difference between myself and my friend. But if the first few hops i go over were the issue. why aren't they slow for everywhere? Why is it just slow for this specific regions?

I actually just thought of this last night. I didn't really think it would effect download speeds - just initial page loads. And it did speed up initial page loads. No effect on overall speeds though. Thanks

i think your getting throttled then.
Cable ISP are notorious for having a "fast" lane... and a "even faster lane" :rolleyes:

Well thats what they call it, in actual its the Premium vs Throttled.
VPN would see if it fixes anything.

merk

May 29, 2003
i think your getting throttled then.
Cable ISP are notorious for having a "fast" lane... and a "even faster lane" :rolleyes:

Well thats what they call it, in actual its the Premium vs Throttled.
VPN would see if it fixes anything.
I dont think thats it either because my friend is getting normal speeds. Plus slowing it down to under 5mbps seems a bit extreme even for comcast.
Using a VPN does seem to be making things better. I haven't done a thorough test, but a quick test and things are definitely downloading/working better

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
It makes no sense then how he's fine and your not unless you guys live in competely the different area, and are seperated by several nodes.

My next guess would of been SNR on the line, but then everything would be slow, and not just selective sites.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
VPN+

Taking a specific route and not being inspected by CC.

Speed testing varies between different locations you test from though as well. They might just have a bad connection as well or something going on on the server. Local test sites tend to be faster though.

I play these speed games with providers as well but, in general I've been using a VPN 24/7 for my whole network for several years now and with wire guard based VPN connections they tend to move at line speed. When I was using CC for the most part speeds were consistent over 1gbps/40mbps. Mind you I'm using a DIY setup and also had 2 x 1ge ports bonded to my setup for mac throughput. I've since changed to FWA which is slower but, also 1/2 the price and double the upload. Also, it's not so Fixed as I take it with me using a power bank and testing around town the speeds have been consistent. Also, since I'm literally too close to the antennas for the cell site I connect to moving the box outside and 50-100 ft from the building scores me 3X the DL speed.

As to you and your friend having different results. That could be a few different things depending on if you're both on the same node in the same neighborhood. Even in the same neighborhood you could be on two different nodes. It depends on the neighborhood saturation as to which person gets put on which node.

Last edited:

merk

May 29, 2003
It makes no sense then how he's fine and your not unless you guys live in competely the different area, and are seperated by several nodes.

My next guess would of been SNR on the line, but then everything would be slow, and not just selective sites.
yeah i dont get it either. The only thing different in terms of how the traffic is routed is the first few hops which are all comcast. Once it leaves comcast its all the same. The simplest explanation would be the my local comcast hops are over-saturated/faulty - but if that were the case everything should be slow for me. I have no idea why it's doing this.

However, i've had 2 other people on reddit comment that they are also in the michigan area and getting the same problem i'm having. So it's certainly seeming more likely there's some glitch or something with comcast. As of yet I haven't been able to talk to anyone at comcast who actually knows anything.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
As of yet I haven't been able to talk to anyone at comcast who actually knows anything.

they wont help you worth dookie if it a routing issue.
I remember how they screwed battle.net customers a while back ago.

I have nothing else i can really say that could help you besides what you don't want to hear in the last line in your original post.
So i won't say it...

:p

merk

May 29, 2003
they wont help you worth dookie if it a routing issue.
I remember how they screwed battle.net customers a while back ago.

I have nothing else i can really say that could help you besides what you don't want to hear in the last line in your original post.
So i won't say it...

:p
you know what really sucks - the apartment complex right next to me, like a few hundred feet away, can get 1gb fiber internet. And for whatever reason it's not available here so i'm stuck with comcast.
Try their forum and look for an employee account.

worth a try, thanks

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
few hundred feet away
Same problem within two blocks I have a few different providers but can't convince them to extend. My building has 40 units of which a bunch are on att for some reason and a couple are CC and I switched to fwa and there's a couple of us on 5G. Figuring the DSL saturation att would upgrade to fiber to get more money out of people. I like the 5G though being half the price and double the upload and no data caps. It's not gig but, it gets the job done and it's portable.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
you know what really sucks - the apartment complex right next to me, like a few hundred feet away, can get 1gb fiber internet. And for whatever reason it's not available here so i'm stuck with comcast.

thats because the building next door signed an exclusive.
And that ISP has brought in Switchs for the entire building, along with a main drop.

I have one of those in my office building, exclusive for time warner now spectrum.
In the middle of renegotiating, as the FIBER for Cable is too expensive, and AT@T wants in on the building.
So if spectrum doesn't give my building a special rate, i might tell them to move there equiptment out the following month, and give it to AT&T.