extremely high temperatures!

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
I just put together a new system (Abit KD7-E, Athlon XP 2100+, DDR 2100 memory) and i'm getting what seem to be high temperatures. my system seem to idle at about 65 degrees. i ran Prime95 (a cpu torture test) and after a few minutes (maybe 15) i had hit 75. after that, i turned it off... now i'm back, and MBM reports core at 65 and system at 50. could it be a poor application of heat compound? i used cooler master compound, but followed the arctic silver directions. I have a Speeze cooler that was rated to the 2100+

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
What heatsink are you using on your Xp2100? Seems to me like you're using an awful small heatsink to get those kinds of temps. I would suggest getting an Alpha PAL 8045 heatsink or a Thermalright SLK800. You need a big heatsink for those XP's. I'm using an Alpha PAL 8045 w/ a Panaflo fan on my Xp1900+ and i'm getting mid 40's with it. Also I would reccomend using Arctic Silver 3 instead of the coolermaster thermal grease. You can pick up these items at Heatsinkfactory

Edit: If you are using the stock heatsink did you remove the Thermal Pad on the bottom before you attached the heatsink to the CPU w/ Thermal grease?

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Lol, if I understand you correctly, the answer is obvious. Your case temp is too high if it's at 50 C. Get some fans or clear out fan holes. Your case temp shouldn't be but a few degrees higher than your room temp.

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
Well, i don't know what my case temp is, i only have the two built in sensors...the air blowing out of the two exhausts i have in the side (case design, not mine) are blowing warm and room temp. air. (one is closer to the CPU) i added a quiet 60mm fan on the back, near the CPU, blowing in, and that dropped my stress temps down to about 65, and my idles are at around 60. that still seems pretty hot. since i only have one 60mm hole in the back, should i upgrade that fan? for now i have two 80 exhausts on the side, towards the bottom, and one 60 intake in the back. i have room for 4 80s in the front, but their placement doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
i doubt that it's a problem with the thermal compound, because the heatsink on the CPU is burning hot.
thanks

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
I believe that On the Abit CD that came with the motherboard there is some hardware moniter by winbond, that will let you know what temp your CPU & System Temp is. I'm guessing that you either need a bigger heatsink or a bigger fan on the heatsink. Just because the heatsink says its good for up to 2100+ won't give the best performance. The larger the more surface area the heatsink has the better.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
If that 50C is your case temp, that is your problem. You need to get your case temp down to a reasonable level. I would suggest putting some intake fans in the front to increase your airflow.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
To find out if it's a case circulation problem, just remove the side off your case and run some benchs then. Look at your temp then.

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
just to shed some light: i don't think some fans on the front would help keep the case cool, because the airflow would just pull in the front and out the side. here's a sketch i drew. sorry for the rushed drawing...

http://www.imagemagician.com/images/spiffae/case.gif

wouldn't fans in the front just blow out the side and never hit the main area of the box?
maybe a stronger fan in the back?

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
ok, posting from another computer...the screen just went dark, as though the videocard wasn't sending signal...CPU temps were fine, as far as i know...uh oh. restarting/cold booting does nothgin.

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
ok, so now what? the HDD spins, and all the fans are going, but nothing on the monitor.
i'm going to keep trying, but i can't imagine i burned anything out, seeing as i had MBM running and set to tell me if i went above 75 cor temp. gonna try another monitor.

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
still broken. CPU looks fine, cleared the CMOS, unplugged everything but the processor, video, and ram, and still nothing. damn damn damn.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like you either fried your video card or melted something on the motherboard... You getting any BIOS beeps?

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
Well, that doesn't sound promising. i really doubt i melted anything, as i was monitoring the temperarure the whole time it was running. all fans were working, and the videocard was never a problem before. i was not stress testing or anything, so i can't imagine that after an hour and a half of perfectly stable operation, it would randomly die when i clicked on a hyperlink. is there any way to tell if it's the motherboard or the vcard, or any other thing? any way to find signs of burned areas?
thanks.

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
highest temp. i reached was 75 on the core and about 60-65 on the mobo near the board. is that hot enough to melt anything?

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
The side and front is supposed to be intake, while the back and top is supposed to be exhaust. Have you tried what I said, taking the side off?

jarsoffart

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Spiffae
highest temp. i reached was 75 on the core and about 60-65 on the mobo near the board. is that hot enough to melt anything?

You could try testing all your components in a known-good system?

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
ok. tried swapping out the videocard with my old Geforce 2...no change. starts up, HDD access, cd-rom power and access, then nothing.

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
You might have damaged the mobo running at those temps, I've had a few motherboards that powered up everything fine, good components like video card, sound card etc and no display. I had 3 motherboards with AGP slots that did not work but everything else powered up okay. If you have a PCI video card on hand try using that instead of the AGP one and see if it displays anything... If that doesn't work and your good working AGP video cards don't work you probably have to RMA the mobo and get a replacement.

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
is a burn out something that can take a while to happen? i had gotten temps down to the mid 50s, and after almost two hours, everything stopped working. I'm pretty sure it's not just the video card, because it starts up, but it never makes it into windows. (i don't hear the startup sound) if the vidcard was the problem, would that prevent bootups?