Extreme way of trying to get rid of coil whine on a reference MSI GTX 670!

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Do not try this! This is crazy!

I first tried to just smear nail polisher over all the coils, to no avail..

So finally I tried a very desperate approach, I drilled the chokes in order to get to the coils themselves. Then I smeared nail polisher straight on the coils. Also, this was to no avail. I know, this was crazy, but the card is still working.

I finally hit the big drum and ordered 2x Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x and a Corsair Graphite 600T Special Edition White. The reference MSI GTX 670 (With the Accelero Twin Turbo II) will go in my secondary system along with the CM Storm Scout.

You may ask why I need 2x GTX 670? Well, I've found out I don't like V-Sync. And it seems I can avoid screentearing with it disabled if I stay way past 60 FPS (80 + FPS) in many games. Also, I ordered the 600T because I've drooled over it for a long time, and because the Gigabyte cards won't fit in my CM storm scout. Oh, and those Gigabyte Windforce 3x cards looks very nice, and hoping for no coil whine since they are not reference, and since they have a 5-phase power delivery.

A few pictures from my extreme effort to making the coils shut up:

125ow42.jpg

23gy9uv.jpg

2edozz9.jpg

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah...

Well I can't recall hearing coil whine, but I'd rather invest in some sound proofing of my case than doing that. Crazy stuff!

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Yeah...

Well I can't recall hearing coil whine, but I'd rather invest in some sound proofing of my case than doing that. Crazy stuff!

Yeah, the choke housing was made of some kind of ceramic. So it was very hard to drill. I drilled in the corners, and when finally getting through, the ceramic housing cracked, then I could just rip off the parts of it.

However, I almost destroyed my card in the effort. I do not recommend anyone to do this!

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
There is no easy way to eliminate coil whine without completely voiding your warranty. Personally I would just RMA any card that exhibits this behaviour for a refund, because that sound is maddening. I could not stand it, it happened on an old 8800 of mine.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, the choke housing was made of some kind of ceramic. So it was very hard to drill. I drilled in the corners, and when finally getting through, the ceramic housing cracked, then I could just rip off the parts of it.

However, I almost destroyed my card in the effort. I do not recommend anyone to do this!

This though is why we're here and why we're all enthusiasts, granted you're way more enthusiastic than I am! :p

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Well, now I finally will get both the case and the cards I've wanted all along. My secondary system is connected to my flat screen TV, and that MSI reference card will fit just fine in that system. Making it able to also play games.

My primary gaming system will finally get great. Utilizing 2x GTX Winforce cards and that Corsair 600T case will set the standards.

I game mostly in 1920x1200. But still those two Gigabyte cards will not get overkill, since I'm after 80 FPS + in all games. Vsync off at 80 + FPS just feels much more snappier and fluid VS Vsync on.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Way over the top just to eliminate the buzzing sound. A case with sound dampening material would have been a better long term solution, doesn't void the warranty as well.

If this is how far OP would go to eliminate coil whine, I wonder how would he eliminate spouse whine? :p

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
OMG...you must have been in a mad rage to try this on your card! After all the loving care you showed it in putting the Twin Turbo on...

Anyway, I hope this works out for you, but I'm not so sure that the Windforce was the right choice. Plenty of complaints about noise on that card. If you can still cancel, I'd go for the EVGA FTW, which I haven't read one complaint about. That or the Asus non-TOP card.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
OMG...you must have been in a mad rage to try this on your card! After all the loving care you showed it in putting the Twin Turbo on...

Anyway, I hope this works out for you, but I'm not so sure that the Windforce was the right choice. Plenty of complaints about noise on that card. If you can still cancel, I'd go for the EVGA FTW, which I haven't read one complaint about. That or the Asus non-TOP card.

Im with termie. FTW or Non top Asus

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
No whine in my Windforce, but I have my cordless drill ready to spring into action if needed or maybe being old has reduced my hearing threshold.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks guys. I've just cancelled my order. Where I'm ordering from, they do not have the EVGA FTW, but they have The ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II non TOP.

So I'm changing my order for the ASUS cards. These do not have coil whine??

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I've now ordered two ASUS GTX 670 Direct CUII 'Non-TOP' and hoping for no coil whine. The vrm circuitry on them looks very good. Counting 6 high-quality chokes.

They also have a backplate making them look even cooler. I'm sure they will look very good in the Corsair 600T Special White Edition, which I've also ordered.

Reading reviews, it looks like these cards have temps in the 70c + range. But from my understanding that is with the standard fan profile (20 - 30% on full load). Should think these temps easily can come down with a custom fan profile.

Also, the GTX 670 version of the Direct CUII takes up only two slots, instead of 3.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
What does coil whine even sound like? I'll take a guess and say if my pair even had any my 8 fans would probably drown it out.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
Coil whine is annoying but I'm glad I only notice it on the Crysis menu screen. It isn't bad enough then to worry much about it.

You must really have it bad to want to do that to your card.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
You must really have it bad to want to do that to your card.

The card is working just fine :thumbsup: At least I did all I could do.

As I've said, this card will do just fine in my secondary system, which is connected to my TV in my living room. Computer is so far away from where I'm sitting, I won't hear the coil whine.

For my computer room, primary gaming system, I'm sure those two ASUS GTX 670 Direct CUII will do an excellent and 'non coil whining job' for me :cool: