Extreme way of trying to get rid of coil whine on a reference MSI GTX 670!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Update:

Have a fairly hot day in the North of Norway today... Window in my computer room is closed, so I discovered something here... My GPU temps are of course much higher now, because of the change in ambient temps.... And GPU is now climbing towards 50c + in games like the withcer 2 and Two Worlds II.. The card became much more, silent, less coil whine when reaching 50c +...

So I tried changing the fanprofile in order to warm the card even more... when closing in to 60c the coil whine was barely noticable anymore... VRM heatsinks also became burning hot... So it seems when the card runs hotter the coil whine is lesser.. Turbo Boost remained at 1238MHz (My overclocked setting) all the way..

No air conditioner?

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
No air conditioner?

No need. I live in the North of Norway... What I meant by fairly hot is it was maybe 15c outside and since the window on my little computer room was closed, the temps where a good deal higher than my previous temps, while testing this card and cooler.

In previous tests I had my window open.

I have a heatpump in my living room which also can be used as airconditioner, but rarely needed.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
No need. I live in the North of Norway... What I meant by fairly hot is it was maybe 15c outside and since the window on my little computer room was closed, the temps where a good deal higher than my previous temps, while testing this card and cooler.

In previous tests I had my window open.

I have a heatpump in my living room which also can be used as airconditioner, but rarely needed.

15C is only 59 degrees and thats hot? :D It's a balmy 88 degrees outside today. I got in my car for lunch and i was sweating within seconds.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Dude, for the love of crumb cake, leave that poor card alone. Your lucky you haven't bricked it already.

There is basically nothing you can do to get rid of coil whine. Your best bet was an RMA. But given the way you have molested that card, thats no longer an option.

Yeah. I've stopped messing with it now. The card still works fine and this weekend I will move it to my secondary rig, where it will live a normal life.

Awaiting 2x ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II for my primary rig. Those I will leave alone, I promise you :D

DeeJayeS

Dec 28, 2011
My 670 exhibits a faint humming noise under load, not audible with my case closed. Both the 7850 and 7950 I tried had the same issue.

Fan noise was so bad on the 670 the humming wasn't audible until I installed my Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II.

Last edited: