Exterous' trip to Spain, Andorra, and France

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
For our third and final trip it was off to Barcelona where we would pickup a car and drive to Andorra before continuing through southern France to Marseilles and then back to Barcelona. We looked at public transit but all the flights and trains were more expensive than anticipated so a car was the cheaper and more flexible option. The Sagrada Familia was a clear highlight at the end of our trip

Andorra:
Z0Ef5dV.jpg

7Fe35d3.jpg

5kWPwq8.jpg

yIA9VJW.jpg

P2L2NGa.jpg

I ended up really liking Andorra. Beautiful area with a great downtown and very reasonable prices. We didn't know what to really expect so we only booked one night here but we easily could have stayed longer

Toulouse:
pADSRlS.jpg

Tpcn1IO.jpg

4HV7DyB.jpg

Carcasonne:
p4VJjCt.jpg

fpd2JH2.jpg

hTWvnjp.jpg

Wpzd6Tw.jpg

3JaZC45.jpg

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Thanks for the photos, you always take nice pics. Always been meh on Spain, but I really miss southern France.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Thanks for the photos, you always take nice pics. Always been meh on Spain, but I really miss southern France.

I actually like Spain a bit more but that might be because its cheaper, easier (my wife speaks spanish) and I'm a big fan of their food

Did you eat jamon iberico?

Of course! In fact most of our evening meals revolved around wine, meat and cheese. We stayed in a couple of serviced apartments and stopped by some grocery stores and markets to pick up dinner. As a side note I thought it was interesting that, while you could get Spanish meats in southern France, I never saw a manchego for sale. Almost as if the Spanish cheese wasn't good enough for France.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Barcelona and the Sagratta Familia:
(We went in the late afternoon so the sun was shining directly into the stained glass. I highly recommend trying to time it this way as the building is stunningly gorgeous)
gYPkC8C.jpg

sIi5ncc.jpg

IHUy1KT.jpg

OhqZmK3.jpg

zLVQUI3.jpg

7nLGwDd.jpg

FY3r6xv.jpg

6jJLiMp.jpg

Reactions: KMFJD

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Wow, the churches and other old world architectural gems you’ve posted are turning around my views on visiting Spain sometime in the future.

Chromagnus

Feb 28, 2017
I actually like Spain a bit more but that might be because its cheaper, easier (my wife speaks spanish) and I'm a big fan of their food

Of course! In fact most of our evening meals revolved around wine, meat and cheese. We stayed in a couple of serviced apartments and stopped by some grocery stores and markets to pick up dinner. As a side note I thought it was interesting that, while you could get Spanish meats in southern France, I never saw a manchego for sale. Almost as if the Spanish cheese wasn't good enough for France.

At the end of August I did a northern Spain trip with some friends. We did Barcelona, Logrono, San Sebastian, and then Bilbao. Barcelona and San Sebastian were about what I expected price wise but Logrono and Bilbao were shockingly cheap.

I will second the food being great. I drank so much great wine and had so much good pork and sea food. I would definitely recommend a Spain trip to other people.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Have they finished it^, yet?
LOL! What's 500 years in the grand scheme of things.

Almost. Basically they just have a few of the spires and some external work to complete. The nave is done. It's supposed to be done in 2025

At the end of August I did a northern Spain trip with some friends. We did Barcelona, Logrono, San Sebastian, and then Bilbao. Barcelona and San Sebastian were about what I expected price wise but Logrono and Bilbao were shockingly cheap.

I will second the food being great. I drank so much great wine and had so much good pork and sea food. I would definitely recommend a Spain trip to other people.

Glad you guys have a great time!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LOL! What's 500 years in the grand scheme of things.

yeah, it's really not that unusual. Santa Maria del Fiori in Firenze was started in ...~800, I think, took about 300 years before it opened, and then it wasn't until ~1400 that Brunelleschi came around and figured out how to build the dome, and finished it...then another 100 years or so to put the facade on. Thing sat there, in-use, for at least 300 years, I think, without a roof. It was designed and built without any knowledge of, or idea of how they ever would construct a dome large enough for it. ..but they did it anyway. Italians!