Exterous' Spain trip

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I had a few vacation days left and no other time to use them before the end of the year so when American Airlines opened up their business class award space to Europe I snagged two seats for a 5 day trip to Madrid. It was a nice change to not have to wrangle a positioning flight like I do for most of our award flights. (Living next to a Delta fortress hub sucks)

Of course this was booked before AA really started to suck a nut with their on time ratings so a close connection in Charlotte meant a quick run through the airport and a delayed bag.

Still we would be back at the airport the following day to return the rental car so it shouldn't be a big deal. Just put our bag on the CLT-MAD flight the next day and no big deal. Should be simple right?

First stop was Segovia and their Roman Aqueduct that rises as much as 94' above certain parts of the town. After that we headed to the Alcazar. Supposedly the Alcazar was what gave Walt Disney the inspiration for his castle. Sadly the entire exterior front was covered in scaffolding and opaque mesh. the inside was very interesting with lots of intricate details on the floors walls and ceilings

Then it was on to Avila, a small city where my wife lived during her study abroad. At its center is a beautiful walled city with a surprisingly large cathedral integrated into the walls

Much of the original Cathedral was made with 'blood stone' that got its name from the red color running through the more traditionally gray blocks

We spent the night in Avila and would head to Valladaloid around midday. The weather the first day was hot but dry - a nice change from the hot and very humid summer in Michigan. Temperatures regularly reached the mid 90s during our stay but we knew that going into it and the 20-30% humidity made it much more tolerable - as long as there was shade nearby.

Still Avila sits at about 3800ft so it dipped down into the upper 40s at night so it cooled off quickly towards evening making it quite nice to sit outside eating tapas and drinking cervezas. At first I was a bit surprised that just 'Cerveza' was on the menu until I found out that many places only have a single kind of beer and its typically Mahaou. Still felt a bit odd to just ask for 'one beer please' without specifying the kind of beer. But it was good and much stronger than I would have thought from its light taste.

After some night photos we collapsed gratefully into bed after several hours of driving, 12 miles walking and running on 3.5 hours of airplane sleep over the last 42 hours or so

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
After breakfast it was time to drive out to Coca to see a Spanish castle before heading to Valladolid.

Valladolid was a bit of a bust tourist wise. Nice city with a nice park in the middle but nothing all that exciting to see. On the plus side we did find a little grocery store with piles and piles of chorizo which is one of my favorite meats

So much chorizo....

(right 1/3 is chorizo)

We spent the night be the airport because we were getting back late and it was cheap and somewhat convient - although the Spanish ideas of an 'airport hotel' don't match what I am used to given the driving distance involved. Returning the rental car was a bit of an adventure as well as the airport has almost no signs for rental car return and the GPS will take you to some abandoned looking warehouse area. We eventually found it but it was a frustrating experience especially given that Terminal 4 is about a 15 min drive from Terminals 1-3 and the only highway sign for rental car returns was placed after the Arrivals and Departures highways split. Hope you guessed correctly which one you need. (Hint: Its not Departures like you might think)

We're also not huge fans of platform shower displays but at least it wasn't the toilet like in New Orleans. Interestingly enough the fire escape map showed an identical version of this room with 2 twin or queen beds instead of a king. Could make for an interesting room sharing between friends\family\coworkers

We found out in the morning that AA had sent our bags to London instead of Madrid - thinking they would get to Madrid sooner that way which was completely irrelevant because we couldn't get them until the following day anyway. Regardless they screwed up the implementation and our bags still weren't at the airport by 7pm the following day (They landed at 735pm but couldn't be delivered that night because no one was available to deliver them). Long story short we found out how incompetent 6 out of 7 AA customer service reps are and went back to the airport in the morning to get the bags ourselves because AA couldn't figure out how to get our bags delivered to the hotel.

After that it was on to downtown Madrid

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

Do you normally return your rental car to Arrivals and try to figure out how to get to the departure terminal?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Going to Segovia and Avila next May...thanks for the excellent preview/photos.

P.S. Why would anyone think arrivals would be the place to return a rental?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

Do you normally return your rental car to Arrivals and try to figure out how to get to the departure terminal?

Thanks. I meant Departures. Instead you head up towards Arrivals which is on level 2 (Departures is level 1 and car rental is -1). The road then splits and half of it dives under Departures to the rental car return. Very odd

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Going to Segovia and Avila next May

Awesome! I wonder if people there will be just as surprised that you're going. At the AA counter going home the agent asked where we went and when we said Avila she said "Oh! No one ever goes there but its such a pretty place." We talked to someone else earlier in the trip and the response was "Really? But you're American." We saw a fair amount of tourists there but I guess its off the beaten path a bit for non-Spaniards?

Reactions: MongGrel

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
In Madrid one of the first places we visited was the Royal Palace which has an extensive array of rooms to see. If you go I highly recommend buying tickets ahead of time. When we arrived the line for those without tickets was very long and stretched outside the building meaning they had to stand in the baking sun to get in. Meanwhile we just walked right in with no wait

We also stopped at the Almudena Cathedral which is across the Palace Plaza

The Metro system in Madrid is probably the most convenient we've ever used in a big city with easy transfers and stops pretty close to everything we wanted to see

I'm also a huge fan of tapas now especially the way Madrid does it and the prices they do it at. 3Euro for a beer and a 'free' tapas from a large list you can choose from. 4.50 for a bucket of 5 beer bottles. I don't think we saw a beer that was less than 4.5% with most being 5.5+%. That said if you are vegetarian or lactose intolerant you might feel differently as most dishes revolve around meat and cheese. Fortunately we are big fans of both of those so :thumbsup:

Free tapas examples (minus one fried cheese ball):

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I was in Barcelona a few days ago and am on a train right now going to San Sebastián from Paris. We were going to fly out of Madrid but probably are going to either Valencia for our final destination or one of the spanish islands. Those castles look pretty badass in Madrid thoigh I would love to go see those.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Awesome photos! The wife is trying to convince me to go to Barcelona and/or Madrid in February, so I don't think I'll show her your photos. :D

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I was in Barcelona a few days ago and am on a train right now going to San Sebastián from Paris. We were going to fly out of Madrid but probably are going to either Valencia for our final destination or one of the spanish islands. Those castles look pretty badass in Madrid thoigh I would love to go see those.

Yeah they were pretty impressive. Hope the rest of your trip goes well!

Camera n lens? Very nice pictures, glad you had a fun time.

Thanks! Most were Canon 6D with a Tamron 15-30 f2.8 although a few were with our Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or my Galaxy S7

Awesome photos! The wife is trying to convince me to go to Barcelona and/or Madrid in February, so I don't think I'll show her your photos. :D

o_O What holding you back? There's no driving on the wrong side this time!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
absolutely love the UWA shots! Did you employ HDR in any of these?

Thanks! Since it was full sun most of the day we ran into some challenging lighting situations, especially in the castles and cathedrals given all the natural light they were letting in. Most of the interior shots were bracketed and combined. We tried to do it so it wasn't overly obvious as a lot of HDR images we see are way overdone in our opinion. The one of the Avila wall (pic #4) is too so the shadow areas show up correctly.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
o_O What holding you back? There's no driving on the wrong side this time!

We just got back from Ireland less than a month ago and I'm not ready to commit. :D

Plus, I have been to Barcelona, albeit 11 years ago and only for 2-3 days. I'd just rather go take it easy next year and devote time and money towards a few house projects. We're planning to go to New Zealand in 2018, so she does have something to look forward to.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The 2nd to last night we headed out for some night pictures of the Puerta de Alcalá

The last day we went to the Crystal Palace which was interesting but really hot (shocking)

And then on to the Arganzuela Footbridge

We also took the cable car across the old Royal Family preserve which was pretty interesting

We also went to the Temple of Debod which was originally in Egypt but in the late 1960s was relocated to Spain to avoid being impacted by the construction of a new dam and as a thank you from Egypt. Unfortunately it was closed for maintenance when we got there but we could still poke around the grounds a bit.

The last night we headed out for some more night pictures:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Thanks much for the pics :)

Beautiful.

Glad you liked them!

WPlus, I have been to Barcelona, albeit 11 years ago and only for 2-3 days. I'd just rather go take it easy next year and devote time and money towards a few house projects. We're planning to go to New Zealand in 2018, so she does have something to look forward to.

Pft just do both. New Zealand might be on our docket for 2018 too depending on award flights and schedules

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
A few more random pictures
Egyptian tomb in Spain:

(^hmmm...it seems I can't hold a cell phone straight)

Ceiling at the Alcazar

Tall cathedral ceilings

Overall a great trip and lots of fun. Good and cheap food and drink, pretty good weather and generally nice people