Question External WD BLACK SN850 NVMe drive not recognized. How to find the right one?

onertist

Mar 23, 2015
I have a ACASIS USB4 NVMeM.2 SSD external ENCLOSURE and I installed a WD BLACK SN850 NVMe drive but my MSI Prestige 15 i7-1185G7 would not recognize the SN850. I discovered at a WD forum that many are having problems with the WD SN850. I sent it back through Amazon. To find a replacement, one suggestion was to check a QVL list for approved drives. Does anyone know how to do a Qualified Vendor List (QVL) search for the Prestige 15 -11th Gen Intel Core i7-1185G7 laptop? I haven't even been able to identify the mobo for the Prestige.

Or, do you know of a NVMe drive that will work in my ACASIS enclosure with the Prestige? The Prestige has USB4 ports.

I'm planning to use the external drive for audio recording with Samplitude Pro X5.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am not sure on this, but comparable drives you could try would be the Samsung 980 Pro and the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus. Not sure if they would have any issues with your enclosure or not. Have you looked into possible firmware updates? Also, do you have a link to the enclosure?

Lastly, let's check the obvious, never hurts to double check this. Did you check in storage management or diskpart to see if you could initialize and format the drive there? You would of course need to do this before it can be used. I assume you are running windows 10.