External HDD write protected in Mac OSX but unlocked in Windows-- how do I unlock it?

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by MogyBear, Jul 23, 2006.

1. MogyBear

MogyBear Senior member

The title speaks for itself-- when I connect my external HDD to my MacBook, I can read files, but can't modify the drive's contents whatsoever. When I get info about the drive, it says that I don't have write permission. If anyone could tell me how I can unlock it in Mac OSX, that would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - External write protected Forum Date
    Does formatting external hard drive erase everything? Computer Help Wednesday at 10:01 PM
    Create Windows backup .bkf from external drive Computer Help Dec 13, 2016
    I/O write errors? External HDD Computer Help Apr 17, 2008
    Delayed Write Failed with external HDD, in need of help Computer Help Jun 29, 2005
    "delayed write failed" with firewire external drive Computer Help Dec 11, 2003

3. amdskip

amdskip Lifer

I may have the same question soon for a friend so I would like to know the answer to this too please.

4. dclive

dclive Elite Member

Reformat it so it's FAT32 rather than NTFS.

5. Dahak

Dahak Diamond Member

Was going to mention the same thing, unfortunalty mac os x can only READ ntfs and not write to it. if you want it comaptible with both then FAT32 is the only way, unless you want to format it on mac and get MacDrive 6 for pc to read the mac drive