Question External HDD bay not recognizing some hard drives.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
I recently built a new computer and bought a ( AmazonBasics 3.5-inches SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0) I have 5 various size hard drives from my old PC that i planned on plugging in and removing the contents that I wanted. However only 1 was recognized and opened immediately allowing me to view use and move files. The others do various things. #2 Spins up and the power light shuts off on the enclosure and does that repeatedly and windows keep playing the connected not connected sound. ( never shows up on disc management). #3-5 windows make the dumb windows noise that something is plugged in but nothing else. They show up on disc management as disc 3 ( unknown and not initialized) Initializing it inst an option either. I googled and gone through youtube but I cant find this same scenario. My old computer had 0 issues with these hard drives prior to removal and its only been 2 days since I built my new pc. I dont plan on reusing these I just want the files pulled off them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
#1working HD is seagate st31500541as
#2 spins up and shuts down is Seagate ST31500341AS

The rest do nothing but are recognized in disc management
#3 Seagate ST31000340AS
#4 Seagate ST2000dx001 Solid State Hybrid Drive
#5 WD WD10eads

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Realistically, get a dual-bay 3.5" to USB3.0 dock, with a 12V 3.5-4.0A AC-to-DC adapter. The reason for the dual drive dock, is to get one with a strong enough power adapter, design for using dual 3.5" HDDs at one time, so that operating it with a single drive, is pretty-much guaranteed to work, power-wise.

Try to get one with an ON/OFF switch as well, as that makes things less messy than having to unplug and re-plug when swapping drives in and out.

Good luck. It's possible that the drives have been damaged, but chances are, mostly, that it's a lack of proper power from the enclosure. Get a decent ($50+) dock, and you should have less issues with it.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
Realistically, get a dual-bay 3.5" to USB3.0 dock, with a 12V 3.5-4.0A AC-to-DC adapter. The reason for the dual drive dock, is to get one with a strong enough power adapter, design for using dual 3.5" HDDs at one time, so that operating it with a single drive, is pretty-much guaranteed to work, power-wise.

Try to get one with an ON/OFF switch as well, as that makes things less messy than having to unplug and re-plug when swapping drives in and out.

Good luck. It's possible that the drives have been damaged, but chances are, mostly, that it's a lack of proper power from the enclosure. Get a decent ($50+) dock, and you should have less issues with it.
Do you have any suggestions on a proper dock?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Reactions: Nasty_nate