External Hard Drive Help/Recommendation

Gotham33

Oct 22, 2004
Hey guys. So right now I have a Macbook Pro and a PC that I built (runs Windows 7, but the PC was built in 2008 or something?)

I'm a DJ/music producer and I used to just use my PC for DJ-related stuff like storing and editing tracks that I use for DJing while using my Macbook for music production. Well, my PC is getting really finnicky. I think I need to reinstall or repair Windows, but my friend in NYC has the Windows disc I used. I think I would rather just go to using my Macbook anyway so if I get an external and transfer the data from my PC there, then I can just put my PC in the closet.

I've been doing research and I was going to get a Seagate 4TB Expansion HD for around $125...BUT I saw some reviews saying it isn't a good drive to use if you plan on having it on a lot because it doesn't have great cooling. Do you guys recommend anything different? Going by reviews Seagate seems to have better reviews than other companies, but I am a bit concerned.

Also I was told that I should format the new HD with my Mac first and then get this program for my PC so I can transfer data to the new HD and have it compatible with the Mac - http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

Does that sound right to you guys?

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
No, that's true. I bought a Seagate 2TB external and it ran hot as all get out... right at 50C when it was writing a lot. The other disadvantage is it's big and requires a power transformer.

My solution is a Seagate portable drive... essentially it's a 5400RPM laptop drive in an enclosure, but it's USB3.0 cable also powers the drive, so no separate transformer. It's also far smaller and easier to cart around.

Here is the 2TB I have (along with 2 other 500GB drives I have, one with over 20K hours on it) but they make 3TB and 4TB portables as well, but I think they are a bigger form factor.

Gotham33

Oct 22, 2004
No, that's true. I bought a Seagate 2TB external and it ran hot as all get out... right at 50C when it was writing a lot. The other disadvantage is it's big and requires a power transformer.

My solution is a Seagate portable drive... essentially it's a 5400RPM laptop drive in an enclosure, but it's USB3.0 cable also powers the drive, so no separate transformer. It's also far smaller and easier to cart around.

Here is the 2TB I have (along with 2 other 500GB drives I have, one with over 20K hours on it) but they make 3TB and 4TB portables as well, but I think they are a bigger form factor.

So you think the portable ones have better cooling then?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
So you think the portable ones have better cooling then?

Yes... my Seagate portables hit a whopping 35C when writing to disk. ;) Remember, they are (usually) only 5400RPM laptop drives. My second 500GB Seagate actually turned out to be a 7200RPM laptop drive (according to CrystalDisk) but it runs the same as the 5400RPM model.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I just replaced an internal 3.5" Seagate 2TB, and transferring data from it, it got way too hot for my liking, and that was open, in a dock.

Separately...you can just go download Windows 7 images, burn them to ISOs, and install/repair. With Windows 8, you have to worry about the disc, but with 7, you just need broadband, and a disc or large enough USB stick.