External Hard Drive Enclosure question

Ralob

Dec 15, 2004
Hey guys and gals,

I am looking into a new harddrive enclosure for one of my HD's and I am looking for the best bang for the buck. I don't know much about these in terms of speed and so forth, I just would like the extra memory. Any deals on one for around 40 bucks? Thanks fellas.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
NewEgg.com has a lot of 3.5" drive enclosures. They will usually come as firewire or USB. USB2.0 would be the bare minimum. If you have a firewire card, go with that.

Jeff H

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Ralob, I just bought this Vantec USB 2.0 unit at Newegg. I put a Samsung 160GB PATA drive in it to clone my system disk via TrueImage.

The Vantec unit doesn't have any cooling, but the unit was barely warm to the touch throughout the cloning procedure. The only drawback to this unit are the tiny screws with which you you fasten the two aluminum lids to the case. If you get this case, know that the screws are not installed, so you don't have to remove them to get the lids off. Vantec does include a small screwdriver to install the screws.

Jeff

21stHermit

Dec 16, 2003
I have 3 Bytecc 5.25" w/ USB 2.0, very fast. One has a DVD burner in it, the other 2 have HD mobile racks so I can put the HD's in my desktop.

The Bytecc's are among the few that use a standard power plug. This is good (no power bricks or wall warts) and bad (the PS is internal: more heat and fan noise).

Pick your poison, NewEgg has dozens to chose from. :)