external DLNA server + storage. best practices?

ares350

Jul 27, 2005
So I just purchased a shiny new panasonic viera. It performs very well pulling content from my laptop, more convenient then using the PS3 so I am using it more often. I have an xbone on the way, which can only make the same or better. So Im trying to refine my storage systems.

Simply put, I dont want to be forced to have my laptop or desktop on to get content.

I have a crappy old netgear router that has been requiring resets every few days and Im about done with it.

So, I think I want a wireless DLNA server.

Currently Im thinking

Asus AC66U - $180
WD elements 3tb HDD - $95

I believe this would get me all that I want.

Alternatively, could go with an AC68U and WD Mybook 3TB to offer usb 3.0 connectivity (not sure its worth the ~$60 marginal cost?)

Is this a good plan? Are there superior options for not a huge amount more money?

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
As a general rule, using the USB port on the router as a storage interface is a recipe for big disappointment. If you're adamant about not getting a PC to serve as your DLNA server then try something like a WDTV Live Hub and just connect the external HDD to it.

Keep in mind though, that if you try streaming files with codes and containers that aren't supported by whatever the destination device might be then you won't be able to play them back since DLNA service doesn't automatically mean transcontinental of incompatible file types.

What software/environment are you using on your PC(s) right now? WM streaming? Tversity?

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
If all you want is a DNLA server, you probably can't get much cheaper than the WD thing just announced. The claim is that it should plug into any router.