Extending Wifi coverage

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ericgartin, May 1, 2012.

1. ericgartin

ericgartin Junior Member

Hello everyone. I would like to extend the range of my wireless router, a D-link DIR-825. The problem is I get a low signal at the opposite end of our house. Would it be better to upgrade both antenna or add a device?

I have a DIR-825 has my router. I also have lying around not being used a DIR-655 Router, Belkin F5D8236-4 v3 Router and a DAP-1522 Wireless Bridge/Access Point.

What be the easiest and cheapest route to extend my wireless coverage? Thanks for an info.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Extending Wifi coverage Forum Date
    Want to extend wifi to steel framed/clad workshop Networking Mar 19, 2017
    Extending wifi vertically Networking Oct 29, 2016
    PoE with wifi extender question for outdoor camera Networking Aug 20, 2016
    Extending WiFi Coverage Networking Nov 20, 2012
    extending wifi coverage Networking Jan 20, 2010

3. lid73

lid73 Member

If you have a newer house, your phone outlets will be wired with Cat 5 cable. What I did was to find which outlet was connected at the junction box, and then hard wired my internet connection to an access point using a switch at the junction box. The access point is centrally located and gives a great signal all over the house.

Otherwise, you can buy a router to act as a repeater (I have the WNDR 3700). I tried this for a while, but got nowhere near the results I have with the hardwired access point.

4. lid73

lid73 Member

Also, you can easily use one of your routers as the access point.

5. Lemon law

Lemon law Lifer

It may depend on the construction materials in your house, thin drywall may not be a deal killer but anything stone or even foil backed insulation can be a deal killer. LOS is always best, and even adding some metal reflector can help. You already have a N capable device but how far do you have to beam the signal?And how many jigs and jogs does it have to take off LOS?

But as a previous poster said, hardwired is always best.