Extended warranty for GE refrigerator?????

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
So, about 5 years ago I bought a GE refrigerator 'cuz I always wanted a nice one. Well, as I've learned NOTHING is perfect and I did have one major problem w/ it that was fixed under the extended warranty which more than paid for itself.

Anyway.........extended warranty's done & I can take 2 attitudes. First, I can figure, "Screw it I got 5 years out of it, it's running now, even if it dies tomorrow, I'll just go buy a new one". (Disposable right? LOL)

Or.........here's GE's offer.............

1 year extension --- $133.95
2 year extension --- $241.11
3 year extension --- $361.66

***OR*** (drum roll)......

"PRICE LOCK" extension which is as follows........

1 payment of $44.65, followed by $11.16/mo indefinitely.

(P.S. FWIW, it's a pretty common side by side GE w/ the water/ice disp & the digital buttons, basic white. Was about $1,200 new.)

Vageetasjn

Jan 5, 2003
Definitely screw it. Maybe they don't make 'em like they used to, but the GE fridge in my dad's old place ran like a champ for over 20 years.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Well, I will say this............

The only real problem I had was when the little flapper that controls the "flow" of cold air between the fridge-side and freezer-side ended up breaking and froze everything in both sides.

They came out & replaced that mechanism (if you have a GE fridge, it's at the very top/back of the fridge side and simply controls how much cool air is allowed to come into the fridge side from the freezer) & that was it.

Well, the computer part hiccupped one time & they replaced that part again. (Turned out it just needed to be unplugged & plugged back in to reset the motherboard). I kept the one he took out since it was perfectly fine & a $300 part from GE. So *if* that part ever went again, I have an extra. But...........there are also a bunch of other parts, I suppose *could* go.

???

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
My Kenmore large capacity fridge with water in the door has had the fan go out 2 times in 3 years. The last fan lasted 4 months! It is currently broken, but the top freezer works fine with no fan. I'm using my wine cooler and a large travel trailer refrigerator atm, because I have been too lazy to repair the fridge yet again. I think next time I am going to use an off brand fan to replace it.

I noticed a problem with the fan motor mounting on it, it looks like part of the metal fan mount was left off (to save costs) and the part it is missing would have kept the fan housing from moving around freely. I thought this was the problem, and with the last repair I used a plastic tie to hold it secure against the main bracket. Obviously, this did not adequately work to support it, or I got another bad fan off Ebay. Not sure. But it takes like 3 hours to fix the darn part and take the fridge apart and put it back together again.

Oh, I voted to screw it. You can trouble shoot problems on the web, and most likely do a better job of it than the repair man they might send out 3 times to fix it if it breaks.

Dec 27, 2001
Our Kenmore's ice maker and water dispenser died a month after the standard warranty expired. And that was the second one we had.....the first one they sent shut off one day and ruined all our food and they replaced it because we'd only had it a month.

The way these things are built today, I'd say a warranty is a must and I'd probably factor it into my purchasing decisions.

Man, that experience with Sears was miserable. So freaking unhelpful. They even cancelled a warranty extension offer they'd sent.

Elbryn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
screw it, why pay extra money for a warranty that will net you a $50-100 a visit to have a guy who can only fit you in a week from now despite the fact that your fridge doesnt work now. the guy then shows up says you need a part and it'll take another a week to get it. tack on another week for the guy to show up with the part after it has arrived to replace and you're now talking about month for a fix for a fridge that you kinda need all the time.
those extended warranty people have no incentive to provide prompt service nor provide you with quality service. for my money, i'd rather keep the cash now and spend it on either a new fridge when mine dies, or on a called service man that i have to pay myself. at least then i know they are working for me and my dollars, and if they dont give me quality/prompt service i'll find someone else who can.

gnumantsc

Aug 5, 2003
Usually with more gadgets in the product the more chances it breaks like your ice dispenser not working etc... The price lock one sounds the best as I do work for an extended warranty company (no not GE) but how long would you have to take it for.

The simpler the product the less chance of issues with it breaking

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Our new home came with all new GE appliances in the kitchen. The stove had to be repaired before we even moved in!, and twice again the first year,(length of warranty).
The microwave quit after a year and a half, luckily the part that broke,(magnatron), was covered by GE for 5 years, so it *only* cost $156 for their service call.
The refridgerator, surprisingly, is still running, (almost 4 years now). Thank God, the wife would not let the builder install the GE washer, and dryer, instead we bought Maytags. Not wanting to wait for the next shoe to drop, we went shopping for some kind of extended warranty. By chance, our neighbor told us about the warranty plan that she had, and since I have seen them repair her, air/heat twice, and her garage door opener, just this year, I know this is not a scam, (as many are, including GE).
For less than $ 200 a year, this company covers EVERYTHING!!!! in your home, thats right, you heard me, even the doorbell, (I have the contract sitting here in front of me).
I believe they are nation wide;
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty of Virginia, Inc. 1-800-775-4736