Extended Warranties - Who's are best and worst?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Howdy,

Just wondering what sort of customer service everyone has gotten in regards to warranty claims on an item with a store's Extended Warranty type thing. I've only used Best Buy and have never had a problem getting somethign fixed or replaced. Actually got a brand new TV 3.5 years into the warranty. ANd I've had success with the one item from Sears I bought with their Replacement Plan.

I've never bought anything with a warranty from Circuit City, CompUSA, etc and used a warranty claim. Do any stores give your mroe of a hassle than others or invalidate the warranty for no reason? I'm in the market for a $400 camera and would like to get the warranty but don't know if any stores I shoudl stay away from. I know Best Buy's covers the battery which none of the others do btu the battery is all of $20 so not that big of a deal.

How is Sams' warranty? What about Circuit City and Comp USA?

ANy feedback would be great.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Just read the fine print on them. They probably vary from store to store for every product. You might even be able to read them online.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
circuit city can be ok but usually a ripoff (they at least have the ability to lookup the sale so you don't need a reciept)
sears is ok on major appliances

best buy is a complete ripoff
refuse to shop at compusa

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Been pretty happy with Circuit City's extended warranty. It's a bit expensive but they do get things done if I have a problem.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Electronics Boutique (EB Games) will replace anything you buy a warranty on (one time per warranty) for just about any legit reason. They will also sell you a new warranty with your replacement if you so desire.

Covers phyiscal damage as long as the item is (mostly) intact. We had to refuse a guy's replacement on his GBA SP when he ran it over with his motorcycle several times (Warehouse wouldn't accept it - I asked) but we replace just about anything else. Also cover accessories on consoles (IE the controller in the box with the PS2 is covered by the PS2's warranty).

On spot replacement as long as the item is in stock. No waiting for your unit to be evaluated or repared.