exremely high temps, need suggestions

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
ok, first off

asus a7n8x deluxe rev2.0
1gb corsair xms pc3200
athlon xp 2500
thermalright slk800 with vantec tornado fan (moves 84CFM)
also another tornado fan that moves 84CFM
PSU has dual fans, similar to a Tt 420watter, air circuation is good

temps are about 60C under full SETI load.

i believe my problem is that i used the thermal grease that came with my slk800. does the artic silver 3 make that much of a differance?

wth is with these temps. i have remounted it and cleaned it 3 times, so it is mounted and greased correctly

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
ok, first off

asus a7n8x deluxe rev2.0
1gb corsair xms pc3200
athlon xp 2500
thermalright slk800 with vantec tornado fan (moves 84CFM)
also another tornado fan that moves 84CFM
PSU has dual fans, similar to a Tt 420watter, air circuation is good

temps are about 60C under full SETI load.

i believe my problem is that i used the thermal grease that came with my slk800. does the artic silver 3 make that much of a differance?

wth is with these temps. i have remounted it and cleaned it 3 times, so it is mounted and greased correctly
The Thermalright heatsinks have a step cut into one end of their base just like other Socket A heatsinks, so :eek: confirm it's on in the correct direction, and not like this.

But beyond that, Thermalright sinks can slide on their clip, far enough that their base can ride up on the raised, solid-plastic end of the CPU socket, and so you want to do this so that your heatsink is clear of the end of the CPU socket as shown here (ok, that's an SK-7, but the same principle applies with the SLK-800).

I've used the thermal grease that Thermalright sends, and it didn't result in sky-high temps, so I'm guessing it's one of the issues named above :eek: HTH!