exporting from thunderbird to outlook is a pain in the ass...

PaNsyBoy8

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
doesn't thunderbird use an mbox format? if so, there are programs out there that will convert it for you

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: PaNsyBoy8
doesn't thunderbird use an mbox format? if so, there are programs out there that will convert it for you

that is what I am using...still have to import everything manually once you get them in eml format...royal PITA...

if only my phone wasn't so MSoutlook-only friendly:(

MasterXen

Jul 5, 2003
I tried to do the opposite when I decided to ditch Outlook entirely (at home). To make the story short, either way is a load of bullshat that you have to get through.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: MasterXen
I tried to do the opposite when I decided to ditch Outlook entirely (at home). To make the story short, either way is a load of bullshat that you have to get through.

acutally, going from outlook to thunderbird is pretty simple in comparison....

I'm jsut kind of bummed out that I basically have to go back to outlook due to work...

whatever...

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
It's the computer gods' way of telling you only a tard would switch back to Outlook.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
use an IMAP connection FTW.

We do, but only for business:(

I still have some gmail and comcast pop accounts:(

Although the messages are still on the server, If I don't do it this way then I have have to spend the time organizing them into the numerous folders they were in

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Pikachu
How were you ahead using Thunderbird? :confused:

It's IMAP functionality is pure joy, unlike outlooks.

With outlook, all sent messages are sent to the generic 'sent messages' folder and the only way to get around this is to have it copy the messages to the sent mail folder on the IMAP account....

With thunderbird sent mail is saved directly on the server

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
So why switch to outlook? Your phone (Moto Q) is designed for use with an exchange server, it doesn't matter whether you are using outlook to connect to it locally or not.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DeviousTrap
So why switch to outlook? Your phone (Moto Q) is designed for use with an exchange server, it doesn't matter whether you are using outlook to connect to it locally or not.

It can be used with outlook via wireless sync for contact and email.

I will use it for tasks/scheduling mostly

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

Technically yes, but it's a pain in the ass, and there's no reason to mess with it when exchange is a much better option. A server sync will almost always be better than a wireless sync to a desktop.

I have all of my email accounts set up to use IMAP locally but also have the server forward all emails to an exchange account. That way I have all of my emails on my pda (they're not organized into folders, but that doesn't really matter). The contacts and tasks are also stored on the exchange server which is fine as I have no need to look at them from a PC.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PaNsyBoy8

There are the problem is Outlook...Microshaft's P.O.S. program.

Ausm

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

Technically yes, but it's a pain in the ass, and there's no reason to mess with it when exchange is a much better option. A server sync will almost always be better than a wireless sync to a desktop.

I have all of my email accounts set up to use IMAP locally but also have the server forward all emails to an exchange account. That way I have all of my emails on my pda (they're not organized into folders, but that doesn't really matter). The contacts and tasks are also stored on the exchange server which is fine as I have no need to look at them from a PC.

I agree, but we really can't justify the ~$10/mailbox cost right now in outsourcing our mail to an exhange host. we are growing and such (hiring etc), but for now imap is fine....

honestly, I guess I should reevaluate my situation as I might be able to get around using outlook on my machine...maybe I can find another way to add tasks to it...

As for our setup, the phone itself is tapped directly in avarious imap accounts, and using wireless sync it checks a pop account and updates the contact , tasks, appointments, and such.

<---really likes thunderbird

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002

I agree, but we really can't justify the ~$10/mailbox cost right now in outsourcing our mail to an exhange host. we are growing and such (hiring etc), but for now imap is fine....

honestly, I guess I should reevaluate my situation as I might be able to get around using outlook on my machine...maybe I can find another way to add tasks to it...

As for our setup, the phone itself is tapped directly in avarious imap accounts, and using wireless sync it checks a pop account and updates the contact , tasks, appointments, and such.

<---really likes thunderbird

You can get exchange mailboxes for about $5-6 a person, but for personal use you can sign use Mail2Web's LIVE free of charge.