Explosive breach of Condit Dam, White Salmon River, WA

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
On October 26th, 2012 a hole was blasted in the base of 125' tall Condit Dam on the White Salmon River in Washington. In less than 2 hours, the reservoir behind the dam drained completely and the White Salmon flowed unimpeded by a dam for the first time in 100 years.

This short clip is a combination of video and timelapse photography captured throughout the day.

https://vimeo.com/31305629

Last edited:

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Pretty cool. There is an awesome documentary on dam removal on Netflix. It's called Damnation. Definitely worth a watch

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The government has taken out several dams here in western WA over the past few years.

As much as I hate to see the good lake fishing disappear...it's still a net win...for the planet, for the fish...and ultimately, for the fishermen.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Very cool. I'll have to check out the documentary mentioned above. I find that I enjoy documentaries more than movies.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So what happens to the remaining dam structure? Seems to me that relatively small drain hole might clog in short order from the massive amount of sludge in the drained lake.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
So what happens to the remaining dam structure? Seems to me that relatively small drain hole might clog in short order from the massive amount of sludge in the drained lake.
Condit_before_after_Maser_Stampfi1.jpg

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Bye bye, clean power. Let's burn us some hydrocarbons and save some fish.
It is a legitimate question. In the case of these dams, all of them produced very little power for the damage they did to the fishery. They were all old dams from an era where a few megawatts was a huge amount of power.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
It is a legitimate question. In the case of these dams, all of them produced very little power for the damage they did to the fishery. They were all old dams from an era where a few megawatts was a huge amount of power.

Good to know. I've heard that many dams in this country don't produce power at all; but I don't know about any of the individual dams mentioned in this thread.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

Pretty much this.

They have been messing up the salmon from spawning in many areas for years.

They did not blow up a functional damn for no reason of course.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001

Correct.

Most all dams like these are licensed for fifty years by FERC. At the end of the license, the owner/operator can either remove the dam or apply for a new fifty-year license.

In order to receive a new license, the owner/operator must make a convincing case that they are still the "best" ones to operate the dam. While I'm not sure what all goes into being "best", I do know that FERC can also mandate costly improvement (such as new fish passage facilities) and/or operating restrictions (such as tighter reservoir elevation limits or flow restrictions) that reduce the value of the power generated. Given that fifty years has passed, it's understandable that these mandated improvements/restrictions can be extensive and costly.

This means that dam owner/operators have to weight the value of the power produced and the costs of FERC-mandated improvements against the cost of dam removal. (Yes, there are instances where dams get relicensed simply to avoid their high removal costs.) In the case of many century-old small dams (coming up on their second renewal), removal is the economic choice.