Explorer/My Computer not updating volume name

kimntom

Aug 7, 2002
Hey everyone!

I hope someone here can help me with a little problem I'm having with XP Pro. Actually, it's more of an annoyance (at this point) than a problem. Today, I pulled my ailing HP CDRW out and replaced it with a LiteOn 40x12x48 (master, 2nd IDE channel) and a LiteOn 16x DVD ROM drive (slave, 2nd channel). The drives work flawlessly. I'm burning faster than I ever have before and watching DVDs just fine. Now comes the problem: Explorer and My Computer are not refreshing the volume name after I first change the disc after the machine boots. For example, if I reboot and have no discs in the drives, Explorer shows "CD Drive" as the volume names for both drive. No prob because they are empty. Say I put a CD or DVD in one of the drives, Resident Evil for example... The DVD drive will update and say RESIDENT EVIL and I can play the movie just fine. If I eject the DVD and put in another movie, regardless of how much I refresh explorer, it still shows RESIDENT EVIL as the volume name. I can still play whatever movie I put in....just the volume name doesn't update. Same situation with data discs. Say I put in a data disc in the CDRW named DATA01. I can access the files just fine. If I take that disc out and put in a disc named DATA02...the volume name still reads DATA01 but I can access the files on the new CD without a problem. Now if I reboot, the volume names are correct...until I swap CDs again.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom

kimntom

Aug 7, 2002
I've found that if I go into My Computer, disable the CD or DVD drive, then reenable them it will update the volume name. I'm starting to suspect Nero 5.5 is the cause of this, however, I haven't had time to uninstall it and test.