Explain Baptists to me!!!

SandInMyShoes

Apr 19, 2002
Since my girlfriend of 3 months is a Calvinist, I can offer a little bit of limited insight... Free will baptists (typically based off of Arminius' doctrine) believe in man's free will to choose his destiny--follow God, or follow the devil.

"5 point" (or most) Calvinists believe God is in control of everything, including your salvation. You are predestined to heaven or hell, and you can only follow God as if you're one of the ones he chose to be saved, and hope you really are one of the saved.

Pretty much all baptists tend to fall into one camp or the other. Southern baptists are typically of the free will flavor.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Baptists stand in water. They dunk people under water and then smack their head while chanting things.

John was one of the most experienced and respected.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
baptists = evangelical meaning they have no sacraments (except baptism, but it's a little bit different) vs lutheran which i think is a sacramental religion, similar to catholics and episcopalians.

baptists believe that faith in christ alone will bring them to salvation,, and reject infant baptism (you have to be "of age" to be baptized. what this is, can vary depending on how the people around you feel your maturity is. i don't know what lutherans believe in particulary though

please, let this not devolve into a "religion is gay" or a "my religion is better than yours thread" :)

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Stay far away from the Pentecostals...my experience with them are the types that get slapped in the head by the pastor and faint because of the power of god.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
My Grandfather was a baptist and my uncle & aunt are methodists. I went to a methodist church with all of them and they made some reference to the fact that methodists only sing a certain number of lines in their hymnals, while baptists sing all of them. This made them laugh & me confused :)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ballmode
Please in a nutshell!!!

Cherry on top

My grandparents on my Dad's side of the family are baptists. Basically, they are racists, they hate everyone who isn't white...and baptist...and a die hard conservative. They are the holiest of the holier than thou.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Please in a nutshell!!!

Cherry on top

My grandparents on my Dad's side of the family are baptists. Basically, they are racists, they hate everyone who isn't white...and baptist...and a die hard conservative. They are the holiest of the holier than thou.

You're a fucking idiot considering many, many Baptists are southern Baptists, and BLACK. You don't know what the hell you are talking about, at all.

Also, Baptists don't chant, like someone said about when they are Baptized.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: evident
baptists = evangelical meaning they have no sacraments (except baptism, but it's a little bit different) vs lutheran which i think is a sacramental religion, similar to catholics and episcopalians.

baptists believe that faith in christ alone will bring them to salvation,, and reject infant baptism (you have to be "of age" to be baptized. what this is, can vary depending on how the people around you feel your maturity is. i don't know what lutherans believe in particulary though

please, let this not devolve into a "religion is gay" or a "my religion is better than yours thread" :)

This guy is the closest to the basics.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Please in a nutshell!!!

Cherry on top

You're a fucking idiot considering many, many Baptists are southern Baptists, and BLACK. You don't know what the hell you are talking about, at all.

I was talking about my grandparents fool.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Please in a nutshell!!!

Cherry on top

Then you need to learn how to use pronouns.

grandparents should have been used after baptists if you were referring to the grandparents. Your use of the pronoun pointed to Baptists.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Please in a nutshell!!!

Cherry on top

grandparents should have been used after baptists if you were referring to the grandparents. Your use of the pronoun pointed to Baptists.

Yeah, that was actually intentional. ;)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
I'm Lutheran too. Explain Missouri Synod vs. ALCA to me.

ROFL! I haven't been active in many, many years, but IIRC, there used to be several different synods to the Lutheran Church, (a couple "merged" to form the ACLA) and the Missouri Synod was considered to be the most hard-core, most conservative, closest to the original Catholic theology of them all...

/me is/was LCMS.

http://camassia.notfrisco2.com/archives/003092.html

http://www.google.com/search?s...S203&q=lutheran+synods

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Please in a nutshell!!!

Cherry on top

Yeah, that was actually intentional. ;)

...yeah, ok :roll:

=)