"Expired" rebate check...am I screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I got a couple rebate checks back...I dunno around Christmas time I guess. I put them on my desk intending to take them to the bank that I hardly ever go to and forgot about them. I found them yesterday and they both have expiration dates that have passed. One yesterday, the other maybe a month ago.

Am I screwed here? If I try to cash them I'm not risking some bullshit fee am I?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The worse thing I think that would happen is they wouldn't go through. Might as well try it as you have nothing to lose.

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Most banks charge money for bounced checks, like $15 to $30. What you should do is call the rebate company and say you never got the check. They will verify the check hasn't been cached, and reissue a new one while voiding the old one.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Deposit it. There is a specific legal definition of what constitutes a valid check. Writing "void" on a check does not invalidate the check, so I suspect that "Void after <date>" does not invalidate the check either.

You do run the risk of having your bank charge a fee if it's sent back; whether you're in the right or not (I believe you would be), getting your bank to waive that fee would be a bitch and probably wouldn't happen. But if you get it past the teller, I doubt it would be sent back.

Nov 7, 2000
hope this wasnt an expensive lesson

maybe could contact rebate house and see if they will reissue? mugs may be onto something also, cant really think of a good legal reason why it should expire.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
hope this wasnt an expensive lesson

maybe could contact rebate house and see if they will reissue? mugs may be onto something also, cant really think of a good legal reason why it should expire.

Checks are $10 and $40 so not really. Enough to piss me off, but not enough that I would load a car up with fertilizer and crash it into a building or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.