Experts say U.S. among 10 most dangerous nations for women

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Aww, man, I thought this was gonna be about disease ridden illegal Mexican rapists.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Unfortunately not terribly surprising. Our history is FULL of inequality. Thankfully, we're a young country who is still righting our wrongs.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Meh, danger is BS in this context. While I don't excuse it, I don't consider getting your arse grabbed a couple times being as dangerous as merely walking down the street in some countries, dressed the same as some US women dress.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Link

Very interesting rationale. The list, do you agree/disagree? Is the US a more dangerous place for women, than, say, Honduras?

1. India

2. Afghanistan

3. Syria

4. Somalia

5. Saudi Arabia

6. Pakistan

7. Democratic Republic of Congo

8. Yemen

9. Nigeria

10. United States.

This is a joke right? If not it should be.

LOL

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
1 Million dead people in Iraq. Statistically half of them were women. That's 500k.

600k dead people in Syria. Not direct violence by the US. But it was a civil war that was stirred up by Saudi-Arabia, Qatar and backed by the US. Long live "geopolitical strategies". That's another 300k dead women.

Vietnam had over half a million civilian deaths. Caused by both sides. But please someone explain to me what the US was doing raging a war 10k km from home. That's another 100k-200k dead women that can be added to the US death conto.

Afghanistan was a hellhole before 2001. But the US intervention didn't make it much better. Only 30k civilian deaths.

Anyway, adding up all the female victims of "US geopolitical warfare" and playing "world police", I guess about a million foreign women died because of violence caused by, or started by, the US. Way to go. I guess you have to go back to the Khmer Rouge or even WWII to get those numbers.

Yes, the US seems to be very dangerous for women worldwide.

What a stretch...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Link

Very interesting rationale. The list, do you agree/disagree? Is the US a more dangerous place for women, than, say, Honduras?

1. India

2. Afghanistan

3. Syria

4. Somalia

5. Saudi Arabia

6. Pakistan

7. Democratic Republic of Congo

8. Yemen

9. Nigeria

10. United States.
I don't know the stats for these countries but my instinct tells me US does not belong in the top 10. Interesting considering what's going on at the border you use Honduras as an example.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
In case anyone is interested. Here's the original report

http://poll2018.trust.org/

and the direct link to the methodology section (apparently you can even request the polling data)

http://poll2018.trust.org/methodology/

What a batshit poll. The US appears on only 2 sections, and, where it does appear its insane.

Sexual Violence - Rank, tied for 3rd with Syrian Arab Republic, and just ahead of the Congo. The US beat out Afghanistan and Pakistan tied for 7th, Nigeria, Egypt, Somalia, all tied for 10th. Insane.

Non Sexual Violence - Rank, 6. The US beat out Saudi Arabia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Somalia.

This is absurd, but shows how people's perception of reality is broken.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I think safety is relative.

As a US citizen you probably feel entitled to probably more safety than any other country on the planet. But the women here often do not feel safe, either from physical or emotional violence, or from the lack of safe spaces in general and how often they feel triggering experiences.

So in a certain sense, one could argue that the USA is the least safe of any country, because Trump is constantly a trigger to emotional and physical sexual abuse and violating any potential safe space. So the safety coefficient relative to the nations safety as a measure of GDP per capita, leaves the USA absolutely the least safe place for women.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I think safety is relative.

As a US citizen you probably feel entitled to probably more safety than any other country on the planet. But the women here often do not feel safe, either from physical or emotional violence, or from the lack of safe spaces in general and how often they feel triggering experiences.

So in a certain sense, one could argue that the USA is the least safe of any country, because Trump is constantly a trigger to emotional and physical sexual abuse and violating any potential safe space. So the safety coefficient relative to the nations safety as a measure of GDP per capita, leaves the USA absolutely the least safe place for women.

You honestly believe that mess you just wrote, or was that you trying to understand the mental acrobatics that people preform to believe this garbage?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
You honestly believe that mess you just wrote, or was that you trying to understand the mental acrobatics that people preform to believe this garbage?

Justifying, don't believe it personally.

I think safety is probably absolute. As in, would you want to trade places with somebody from some other country.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Justifying, don't believe it personally.

I think safety is probably absolute. As in, would you want to trade places with somebody from some other country.

I really wanted to respond with the assumption you did, but, the little voice said to check before.

Safety does not need to absolute, as there is harm in perception. The problem is when that perception is not based in reality which is what we currently have. The idea that we have something like a "rape culture" requires that things need to be defined in a way that does not run parallel with what most believe. Anyone that believes women are less safe in the US vs the Congo is either extremely ignorant, or willfully lying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_violence_in_the_Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8650112.stm

The Democratic Republic of the Congo, and the east of the country in particular, has been described as the "Rape Capital of the World," and the prevalence and intensity of all forms of sexual violence has been described as the worst in the world.

Its just absurd.

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011
What a batshit poll. The US appears on only 2 sections, and, where it does appear its insane.

Sexual Violence - Rank, tied for 3rd with Syrian Arab Republic, and just ahead of the Congo. The US beat out Afghanistan and Pakistan tied for 7th, Nigeria, Egypt, Somalia, all tied for 10th. Insane.

Non Sexual Violence - Rank, 6. The US beat out Saudi Arabia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Somalia.

This is absurd, but shows how people's perception of reality is broken.

One in four women is raped on US college campuses, no wonder reality has a liberal bias.:triumph:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
One in four women is raped on US college campuses, no wonder reality has a liberal bias.:triumph:

Nope, not true. You have just bought into false data. Go ahead, try and source it and see what you find.

What you are actually referring to was a shit study that asked women questions and then decided for those women if they had been raped or not. One such question was had you ever engaged in sexual activity after having a drink. If the answer was yes, that was considered rape. Did not matter than you had a beer with your boyfriend, a drink took away consent.

Also, the 1-4 was not for rape, but any sort of sexual assault. Again, how they defined it is bogus which greatly inflated that number. Check out the FBI stats.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/nibrs/crime-in-schools-and-colleges

Between 2000 and 2004 there were 1,662 forcible rapes, and 280 statutory rapes. Does that sound like 1/4 students?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

One in four say they have been a victim of sexual assault or misconduct.

one in ten say they have been a victim of something meeting the legal definition of rape.

Read your stories more closely.

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011
Nope, not true. You have just bought into false data. Go ahead, try and source it and see what you find.

What you are actually referring to was a shit study that asked women questions and then decided for those women if they had been raped or not. One such question was had you ever engaged in sexual activity after having a drink. If the answer was yes, that was considered rape. Did not matter than you had a beer with your boyfriend, a drink took away consent.

Also, the 1-4 was not for rape, but any sort of sexual assault. Again, how they defined it is bogus which greatly inflated that number. Check out the FBI stats.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/nibrs/crime-in-schools-and-colleges

Between 2000 and 2004 there were 1,662 forcible rapes, and 280 statutory rapes. Does that sound like 1/4 students?

One in four say they have been a victim of sexual assault or misconduct.

one in ten say they have been a victim of something meeting the legal definition of rape.

Read your stories more closely.

Well, the sarcasm went over your heads, I don't blame your for this kind of nonsense is still the mainstream view just like the gender wage gap. I know how these statistics are generated, and how well they can be turned on their head,

http://feck-blog.blogspot.com/2011/05/predictors-of-sexual-coercion-against.html