Expert: If Putin uses nukes, U.S. could wipe out Russian forces in Ukraine

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

the United States would likely respond with a sweeping economic embargo combined with a massive conventional attack on Russian military positions that could quickly wipe out the Russian president’s invading military forces.

The U.S. and NATO “could destroy the Russian forces in Ukraine in a matter of days."

But it could also spiral out of control.
“There are no good responses once you start down the nuclear path,” he said.

Putin said that Russia would use “all means available” to defend its territory. In a chilling passage, he noted that the United States was the only country to use nuclear weapons in wartime — dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki towards the end of World War II — and then added: By the way, they created a precedent.”

I think Putin would be in desperation mode if he uses tactical battlefield nukes.
If he loses the war in Ukraine, he might be ousted as head of Russia.
So he's like a cornered rat.

Would Putin escalate to ICBMs if the US/Nato responds to his battlefield tactical nukes by entering the war?
Unfortunately, yes is a possibility unless there are some heros in Russia that refuse the order to launch

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Does anyone understand that radiation from those nuclear blasts will drift over other lands.

I love it when armchair generals and admirals come up with their nonsensical bullcrap and volunteer thousands of innocents to die in conflicts they imagine in their heads.

Reactions: Zor Prime

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

the United States would likely respond with a sweeping economic embargo combined with a massive conventional attack on Russian military positions that could quickly wipe out the Russian president’s invading military forces.

The U.S. and NATO “could destroy the Russian forces in Ukraine in a matter of days."

But it could also spiral out of control.
“There are no good responses once you start down the nuclear path,” he said.

Putin said that Russia would use “all means available” to defend its territory. In a chilling passage, he noted that the United States was the only country to use nuclear weapons in wartime — dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki towards the end of World War II — and then added: By the way, they created a precedent.”

I think Putin would be in desperation mode if he uses tactical battlefield nukes.
If he loses the war in Ukraine, he might be ousted as head of Russia.
So he's like a cornered rat.

Would Putin escalate to ICBMs if the US/Nato responds to his battlefield tactical nukes by entering the war?
Unfortunately, yes is a possibility unless there are some heros in Russia that refuse the order to launch

If we wiped out Russian forces, we could expect 300-500 nuclear ICBMs heading our way. I don't see anyone winning that war. We might take a few out with our defense system, but the truth is many would land and well.. It won't be a pretty site. Not for America, and most definitely not for Russia and the rest of the world.

• Love
Reactions: Lezunto

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If we wiped out Russian forces, we could expect 300-500 nuclear ICBMs heading our way. I don't see anyone winning that war. We might take a few out with our defense system, but the truth is many would land and well.. It won't be a pretty site. Not for America, and most definitely not for Russia and the rest of the world.
I think that's pretty unlikely but not impossible.

Still, wiping out Russia's conventional forces would be the right response. If Putin figures out he can declare parts of neighboring countries Russia and then defend them with nuclear blackmail AND he is willing to actually launch nukes if his armies are thwarted he will continue to do so until he eventually meets the line that the west finds unacceptable and then the nukes fly anyway so what does it matter?

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
On top of all that, who really believes that their stockpile is anywhere near operational ready? Based on what we've seen so far in Ukraine, I'm not convinced they could really keep any of the sophisticated systems fully functional.

Having said that, it does make it slightly more terrifying in that they might still go boom, but not where they're supposed to (guidance is the most difficult part ...).

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
On top of all that, who really believes that their stockpile is anywhere near operational ready? Based on what we've seen so far in Ukraine, I'm not convinced they could really keep any of the sophisticated systems fully functional.

Having said that, it does make it slightly more terrifying in that they might still go boom, but not where they're supposed to (guidance is the most difficult part ...).

I'm definitely wary of Russia's claims on that front. The Ukraine invasion taught us that Russia's projection of military strength was just a house of cards. There's been decades of institutional rot that left it numerically strong, but operationally and technically weak. If that's how its frontline forces are, how is it possibly going to launch a coordinated nuclear blitz?

Not that I'm keen to test this, but my theory is that Putin won't launch a single nuke precisely because he (or at least, his advisor circle) knows he'll lose everything if he does. Putin ultimately wants to enjoy the unchecked power and wealth that comes with dictatorship; pursuing a mythical Russian cultural empire isn't worth it if he loses all those benefits. And he might not come out of this alive, let alone with a cushy business.

Reactions: Pens1566

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
It comes down to THIS...
For the sake of humanity, we have two world leaders who need to be ""TAKEN OUT"".
One Putin, and the second an x leader. ;)