Experienced ebay sellers, I'd like your input.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
If anyone's experienced at selling things on Ebay, I'd like your input about an Auction I just set up. I want to know if you think I did a good job with the auction (i.e. - it encourages people to bid). I don't want to look like I'm trying to sell things on here, so PM me for the address of my item.

Thanks a lot.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is the OT forum. You aren't going to be selling anything here by posting a link to eBay.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I found that in general, it doesnt matter what your auction looks like, as long as you dont look like a fool. You dont need to list the specs of anything, people who want to buy it already know.

If its a common item that people can find info about somewhere else, keep it short and simple.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Keep it simple, I don't want to read 3 pages of TOS.
Be clear.
If something is wrong with the item, you better say so.
Don't give the bidder the shaft on shipping.
Pictures are always a plus.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

<< This is the OT forum. You aren't going to be selling anything here by posting a link to eBay. >>

I hate it when people don't read the post before they reply.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000

<<

<< This is the OT forum. You aren't going to be selling anything here by posting a link to eBay. >>

>>

He did, YOU're not reading his response correctly.

wedi42

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
i searched ebay by your email address.
it looks like you selling you computer

your starting price is to high, its to close to retail
i havent looked up each part, but i guess you could build that for $500 or so at the best pricewatch prices
what are you hoping to get for it?
start the bidding at $1. anyone will bid a $1. it gets people to look. people wont even bother at $450, cuz they will think your reserve is too high.
you might even consider removing the reserve

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000

<< Keep it simple, I don't want to read 3 pages of TOS.
Be clear.
>>

I agree with everything there except for the shipping.....buyer's typically are the ones to pay shipping, why should it change at ebay?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

<<

<<

>>

>>

What don't I get then? I must be confused. I didn't post a link to ebay, and I didn't try to sell anything in OT.

NetworkDad

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
Be clear on terms of sale: Payments accepted, when payment is due.

Shipping: I usually specify a flat rate in the US that way i don't have to respond to a lot of questions.

Product - List exactly what the product is and anything that is broke, needs repaired, or might not work. Also, if you are not including a warrant, list somewhere in the auction Sold As Is

Here's an example of one of my closed auctions.

Good luck, Jason!

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000

<<

>>

Yeah dude, I think he is saying to go ahead and post the ebay link.

Oh yeah, I like your auction....the only thing I think you needed was to drop your starting bid, or at least remove the reserve price....

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000

<<

<< Keep it simple, I don't want to read 3 pages of TOS.
Be clear.
>>

I agree with everything there except for the shipping.....buyer's typically are the ones to pay shipping, why should it change at ebay?
>>

No. I'm saying don't shaft the bidder on shipping charges. Charge as close as you can to the actual shipping cost. I've seen people charging $12 USPS shipping on a 64MB stick of ram...

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000

<<

<<

<<

>>

>>

What don't I get then? I must be confused. I didn't post a link to ebay, and I didn't try to sell anything in OT.
>>

He's saying it's ok, you're not going to get any bidders from here.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Ah, I didn't get that. I thought he was getting mad at me for posting a link to ebay, which I didn't do :)

I may lower the starting bid, but I'm keeping the reserve. It's not worth it for me to sell it at less than that price.

LukFilm

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
One thing I noticed on Ebay is that you will have a really hard time selling any system for a profit. Maybe just to recover the cost, maybe.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Drop the reserve...as mentioned above it's not good to expect profit...just return of cost.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
simple, pics are clear. links work. good job. but seriously, ditch the reserve. just use the minimum bid for the reserve. it will save you the extra reserve fee