Question Expensive AMD APU's

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
So I have a spare B350 board, psu, memory case etc. All I need for a decent Plex server/NAS. I figured I could get a 3200 or 3400g for about 100 bucks by now but it looks like they all go for $200+ (USA) if they are even available?

At that point it doesn't make sense right? I could just get a new Intel i3 and board for same cost that would handle transcoding better anyway?

I guess I'm asking what is making the APU's so valuable? Can't be mining, or raw computing power as none of them have any. The chip shortage doesn't seem to effect low end CPU's as Intel has them available all over.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Since video cards are at such a premium, maybe people are now hot on APU's to replace them, and AMD has much better APU's right now.

Reactions: Drazick

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I'm sure they are EOL by now -- but as for the GPU thing... they are essentially useless. I guess if you literally can't get a card to display your desktop for under 100 bucks I could see why...

Man I never should have sold my 2700x and ANY of my old video cards.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Here in Germany it appears 3400G was last regularly available back in January, insane prices since then. 3200G seems to have come back for a month last month until a couple of days ago. Next AMD APU readily available right now is PRO 4650G for €240.10 though 5600G at €248.97 is even more abundantly available. Budget parts by AMD however are essentially extinct.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Due to TSMC manufacturing constraints, AMD all but had to abandon their entry-level CPUs / APUs in order to fill higher profit models. They pretty well handed the sub-$250 CPU market to Intel for the last 18 months or so.

Up until very recently, they even lost some of their overall consumer market share to Intel at the expense of expanding their more profitable enterprise share.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-scores-its-highest-server-cpu-market-share-in-years-report

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-desktop-server-notebook-cpu-market-share-q1-2021

Reactions: prtskg and Tlh97

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Due to TSMC manufacturing constraints, AMD all but had to abandon their entry-level CPUs / APUs in order to fill higher profit models. They pretty well handed the sub-$250 CPU market to Intel for the last 18 months or so.

Up until very recently, they even lost some of their overall consumer market share to Intel at the expense of expanding their more profitable enterprise share.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-scores-its-highest-server-cpu-market-share-in-years-report

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-desktop-server-notebook-cpu-market-share-q1-2021

Gotta take care of them shareholders! (no /s ;) )

Really though, making money is what they need to do. If we want AMD to remain relevant in the next 5-10 years so we can continue to have a healthy push on Intel they need to cash in during those periods where the market is favorable for them to do so.

That's not great for us but I am not angry with AMD.

There are $300 12700K CPUs at microcenter that will soothe my pain :D

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Gotta take care of them shareholders! (no /s ;) )

Really though, making money is what they need to do. If we want AMD to remain relevant in the next 5-10 years so we can continue to have a healthy push on Intel they need to cash in during those periods where the market is favorable for them to do so.

That's not great for us but I am not angry with AMD.

There are $300 12700K CPUs at microcenter that will soothe my pain :D
Yeah, it sucks for budget builders, but any smart business would (and should) make the same decision.

naukkis

Jun 5, 2002

But those entry-level models are manufactured by Globalfoundries. Is Globalfoundries lines also maxed out?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
But those entry-level models are manufactured by Globalfoundries. Is Globalfoundries lines also maxed out?
That I don't know.

Since Global Foundries had such a major restructuring and negotiated being purchased before deciding to instead do an IPO, I have no idea.

I was referring more to AMD not being a factor in the entry-level market once they launched their 5000 series, and the supplies of the Ryzen 3000 series began to dry up.

I imagine they still produce a small amount of their 2000 series for some OEM contracts and such, but I have not seen really any being sold outside of 3rd party sellers and on Ebay.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

B550 (current AMD chipset) doesn't support any 12nm/14nm Ryzen CPUs. AMD had to have made the decision to stop making these CPUs at some point in time in the past and we are just on the other side of that.

Silicon sub component shortages, global supply chain issues and all that, AMD honestly just missed the mark. It's likely they could still be selling every 3400G they could make right now even if they had turned the tap to wide open vs closed/or trickle that it is now. In theory, had they made that decision it would not have impacted the availability of their newer parts AND given them fodder for the $100-$200 CPU market.

I think not having support for early Ryzens all the way through AM4 (really, only on B550 we stopped supporting it? maybe we could have just dictated more memory on the boards, huh?) made it hard/confusing to keep them in the market too ESPECIALLY with the somewhat bonkers conflation of the 3xxxG series having 2xxx Ryzen cores in actuality.

naukkis

Jun 5, 2002
Both 3200G and 3400G are manufactured by Globalfoundries - as Globalfoundries also manufacturers IO-dies to GPU-less 3000/5000 series and Epyc chips it might be that it's Globalfoundries manufacturing shortage and not TSMC as those chips not utilizing any silicon from GF have better availability than GF produced APUs.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Ha, you think that 7th gen i7 is really going to be strong enough for your NAS? /s

Competition is good.
I'm going to virtualize everything on VMware's bare metal hypervisor (it's free!). OpenMediaVault for the NAS and Linux as a test machine for some server side development stuff I'll be working on (hosting a small DB, etc.).

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Yeah that i3-10105 is $90 at microcenter if I want to make the drive and I'm sure it'd be better than the 3400g but I just don't want to have another motherboard! Spare parts build!

Oh well, maybe I'll wait for a deal (Amazon did have a used 3200G for like 90 bucks for a few minutes that got snatched up) or just wait for i3 alderlake.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yeah that i3-10105 is $90 at microcenter if I want to make the drive and I'm sure it'd be better than the 3400g but I just don't want to have another motherboard! Spare parts build!

Oh well, maybe I'll wait for a deal (Amazon did have a used 3200G for like 90 bucks for a few minutes that got snatched up) or just wait for i3 alderlake.
Ugh, didn't look at MC. My nephew lives nearby the one in Boston. Well, good luck! I build a 3200g system for my mum on a b450 board and it's been humming along nicely for the past couple of years.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It does look like AMD is still selling a fair amount of Dali and Picasso in the mobile market. May be just that whatever they are manufacturing is just going to the OEM contracts and that's it.

Reactions: scineram

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
It does look like AMD is still selling a fair amount of Dali and Picasso in the mobile market. May be just that whatever they are manufacturing is just going to the OEM contracts and that's it.
I doubt the volume AMD produces at GloFo decreased. I don't think it's a coincidence that GloFo-sourced chips essentially disappeared from the DIY market after more and more counterparts for Chromebooks were announced. Likely most AMD chips from GloFo are of the Raven2/Dali/Pollack kind used in budget laptops these days.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Here in Germany it appears 3400G was last regularly available back in January, insane prices since then. 3200G seems to have come back for a month last month until a couple of days ago. Next AMD APU readily available right now is PRO 4650G for €240.10 though 5600G at €248.97 is even more abundantly available. Budget parts by AMD however are essentially extinct.

Here in Croatia, huh mixed bag of APU prices.From January to September this year, "OEM only R5 Pro 4650G was available" for 198euro(1500kn) or the lowest retail(as far as I know)price in EU.At the same time in the same period, R5 2400G was hm 165euro. :grimacing:

Today or now, you can buy Ryzen 5 Pro 3350G for same price" 165euro.This is R5 3400G with one CU disabled, and yes overclocking option is Disabled.

R5 5600G is to expensive, and R5 4650G today is 211euro and much less available.

Since video cards are at such a premium, maybe people are now hot on APU's to replace them, and AMD has much better APU's right now.

Yes it is simple, but only on AMD side you have a let's say ok gaming iGPU.

It is hard to be heated for PC gaming, in reality where the cheapest 1080 gaming GPU is 560-600euro.i5 12400F will have very good CPU price=performance ratio, but when you see discrete GPU prices=severe headache and swearing.

R5 5600G(or older R5 4650G if locally available ), with iGPU performance it is quite easy to wait for a possible future GPU price reduction.As we now, R5 4650G more or less has iGPU performance as GT 1030 2GB DDR5.

Intel iGPU is still blah, or trash especially UHD 730 located on "coming soon i5 12400" or older i5 11400.We need to be realistic, even UHD 770 is trash compared to old Vega 8 or Vega 7 iGPU.

2GB DDR5 GT 1030(110-120euro)or 2GB DDR5 RX 550(120-140euro) same gaming performanse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
AMD's purchase of wafers at GlobalFoundries are done at a pre-ordered flat rate. So, AMD's wafer purchase commitments are included in the booked capacity.

I think however, the majority of shipments has gone away from AMs/Euro to GC/APJ (Greater China and Asia-Pacific Japan). AMD makes 70% of their revenue from China, Singapore, and Japan [GC,APJ] whereas only 30% of their revenue is from Americas/Europe[NA,LA,EMEA].