Exhasperated--GeForce2 or Radeon 7500?

Geeyoff

Oct 17, 2001
:confused: Hi. I've recently become completely overwhelmed by 3d-card reviews, so I'm asking for simple advice from people.
Should I get a Radeon 7500 or a GeForce2? (And if I should get the latter, should it be a VisionTek GeForce2-Ti or a Gainward -Pro? Or something else?)
I'm planning on doing a bit of 3D gaming under Win98, but nothing super-hardcore. I'm also going to be using Linux, but only for basic 2D stuff, like the web and word processing and such, so it needs to be linux-friendly and have decent 2D-quality. I don't have much need for tv-out or dual-monitor stuff or anything like that.
What I'm looking for is just a relatively good, solid and versatile card that probably won't go obsolete tremendously quickly.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
--Geeyoff

Rkonster

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2000
I think that I would go for the GeForce2 in your case. Although I am found of ATI's hardware dvd, I think the nvidia is more Linux friendly. And they have much much better driver support. (Nvidia has recent linux drivers).

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Driver wise go Nvidia for best stability and compatiability so that leaves Visiontek or Gainward Pro models,I would lean towards the Visiontek but pricing might play an important part for you between the two.

Btw Geeyoff almost forgot welcome to AT (Anandtech) :).

lebe0024

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
If it's linux, you really have no other choice than to go NVidia... as they make they're own GREAT linux drivers. Also, don't go with a GF2, buy a GF3 Ti200 for $175! check out pricewatch.com and do a search for ti200. If you can, buy the leadtek card over the visiontek, because leadtek uses 4 ns ram where Visiontek uses 5. With the leadtek, you can OC to well above standard GF3 levels.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Geforce2? no, Geforce2 PRO? yes, maybe, depending on your 2D needs. The Gainward Golden sample version is cheap and has 4.5ns ram.

The 7500 is what I would buy. But when the conversation turns to G3 Ti200, then Nvidia gets the nod.

VeX30

Oct 17, 2001
I really like the compatability of nividia products. Im a gamer and very seldom have problems playing a new game. Even played tribes 2 with no hitchs.

Geeyoff

Oct 17, 2001
Whoops. Sorry about that empty message. My college's internet server is run on a Commadore 64 or something like that, so little mistakes happen every once in a while as a result.

Thanks for the info & welcoming. I'm building a new system, and I've been lurking around here for the past week or so. Today I sort of fell into a mild state of panic when I remembered that I've got a couple of papers due soon and still have no working computer readily available.

--Geeyoff

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'd definitely prefer the ATi Radeon 7500 over a GF2 Pro.
It's marginally faster in most cases... though this is debateable depeinding on whose benchmarks you go by.
You get better DVD, a slightly better feature set, HydraVision, and assurance of good 2D quality with the R7500.