Exercise gurus, need help selecting some equipment.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Ok, I'm tired of bein a bag of flesh on a stick. And while I'd make an excellent covert ops guy from all the CS I play it doesnt seem to be helping my physique as much as I had hoped. So, I think I may get a simple home gym. Nothing elaborate of course, just an "entry level" deal. While browsing around dickssportinggoods.com I found what may be a good candidate.
Text

Would this be a good machine? I'm not worried about being able to do 500 different exercises, nor is needing to support Olympic sized weights a concern. I'm worried about good design and quality since I'm looking for a basic machine. So, whats the verdict? Good bad or ugly?
TIA.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
From personal experience from using A LOT of home gyms, i can give you some advice:

Try out the bench itself first. A lot of the home gyms are very unstable once you start loading weights, and the padding itself suckass, so they can become quite painful when you start using heavier stacks. That said, the one you linked looks pretty good, especially for the price.

For weights, get the olympic weights. Don't use those small cast iron ones. In less than a year, you'll probably easily pack on 140+ lbs. I can't imagine using the small cast iron ones for those. Olympic weights can be purchased used i'm sure, and their resale value are quite good if you ever decide to ditch the sport.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
It's personal preference on if you like the Free Weight type machines or the kind with the weights on pulleys and such. Personally I prefer the non-free weight kind because they are easier to do more exercises with the least amount of changing weights around and things like that.

You could get something like the Crossbow or if you don't want to spend that much, something like this.

Just a couple options

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Shockwave
And while I'd make an excellent covert ops guy from all the CS I play it doesnt seem to be helping my physique as much as I had hoped.

lol, that's hilarious :D

g'luck!

here's my theory on plopping money down on exercise equipment or gym memberships. workout for a few weeks without spending a dime. run outside. do pushups in your bedroom. do ab crunches in your living room.

after you've proven that you're ready to have a regular workout routine, treat yourself to exercise equipment or a gym membership. otherwise your risking a dust gathering bench or a reoccuring charge on your account for nothing.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Working nights, watching kids during the day while the wife works makes a gym membership a useless thing. Already had one.
Thanks moral, I planned on Olympic weights rather then the rinky dink lookin other ones. The price was one reason i selected it. It looked like a good entry level system. Maybe after a while I'll grab the All In Wonder versions, but until then just a good basic starter set is the key here.
And for some reason I've always been a free weights kinda guy. Just my perference.....

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: iamme
And while I'd make an excellent covert ops guy from all the CS I play it doesnt seem to be helping my physique as much as I had hoped.

lol, that's hilarious :D

g'luck!

here's my theory on plopping money down on exercise equipment or gym memberships. workout for a few weeks without spending a dime. run outside. do pushups in your bedroom. do ab crunches in your living room.

after you've proven that you're ready to have a regular workout routine, treat yourself to exercise equipment or a gym membership. otherwise your risking a dust gathering bench or a reoccuring charge on your account for nothing.

Naw, i wouldn't do that. If you're going to start off doing it halfassed, you're never going to be committed. If you don't want to commit yourself to a homegym just yet, then join a gym for a month or two. Most gyms have trial memberships, and you can have a feel whether you want to continue it or not. But running, pushups, etc, aren't really pushing your muscles and you don't feel the same pump you can get from a good workout. If you're going to do it, don't do it halfassed.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Theres no doubt I want to do it. I've wanted to for a few months, but I kept idle thinking about it. Then, a few weeks ago I had to move a Hide-A-Bed couch. By myself. Up stairs. While almost gettin my ass whipped by a 150 pound couch travelling at high velocity down the stairs, on the whole it felt GOOD to really open up them "Big guns" and get a bit of a workout. Thats when I decided its time......... Thus this post. Got some X-Mas money to burn, so why not?

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
Naw, i wouldn't do that. If you're going to start off doing it halfassed, you're never going to be committed. If you don't want to commit yourself to a homegym just yet, then join a gym for a month or two. Most gyms have trial memberships, and you can have a feel whether you want to continue it or not. But running, pushups, etc, aren't really pushing your muscles and you don't feel the same pump you can get from a good workout. If you're going to do it, don't do it halfassed.

i'm not talking about doing anything half-assed.

for someone who hasn't worked out before (i'm assuming that Shockwave hasn't), running a mile a day and doing 20-30 pushups might be extremely tough.

all i'm saying is to prove to yourself that you're willing to make a regular schedule and stick to it. the worst thing to do would be spending lots of money on equipment or membership and have it go to waste, because you didn't realize how hard it would be.

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
As others suggested, go try out the bench's in person. While it's hard to tell from that pic, it looks like the bar arms which support the weight may be a little too close together. This means you have to lift the weight with a grip thats either too wide or too narrow. My friend has a bench like that... it's garbage.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

for someone who hasn't worked out before (i'm assuming that Shockwave hasn't), running a mile a day and doing 20-30 pushups might be extremely tough.

He's not looking to lose weight, he's looking to bulk up. He can do what you say all he wants, but he's not going to see much improvement. And like i said, the feeling you get from running/pushups is different than you get from a good weight workout.

It has all to do about doing it half-assed. If you're committed, you're going to be committed. You're not going to 'test' the water with just sticking your toes in first.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Well, it wouldnt be a waste. Took weights class in HS all 4 years. Really enjoyed it. Had it as my first class, was nice to get a good work out before going on with my day. So, no worries about having doubts. Running? *heh* I dont run. Bein a smoker for about 12 years now, me and runnin arent good bedfellows. But, fortunately for a active metabolism I'm more skinny then fat and have decent arm strength, so knockin out a few pushups shouldnt be a big deal. But, I want to actually get in shape, and I want a body my wife looks at and goes "Wow, get your ass over here NOW" instead of just "Wow, you look good" ;)

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

He's not looking to lose weight, he's looking to bulk up. He can do what you say all he wants, but he's not going to see much improvement. And like i said, the feeling you get from running/pushups is different than you get from a good weight workout.

It has all to do about doing it half-assed. If you're committed, you're going to be committed. You're not going to 'test' the water with just sticking your toes in first.

i'll stop here. i'm by no means a fitness guru, so i concede that you may know more than i, in this subject.

i thought my advice was sound, but in the end, Shockwave will do what suits him best.

good luck, man!

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Well, it wouldnt be a waste. Took weights class in HS all 4 years. Really enjoyed it. Had it as my first class, was nice to get a good work out before going on with my day. So, no worries about having doubts. Running? *heh* I dont run. Bein a smoker for about 12 years now, me and runnin arent good bedfellows. But, fortunately for a active metabolism I'm more skinny then fat and have decent arm strength, so knockin out a few pushups shouldnt be a big deal. But, I want to actually get in shape, and I want a body my wife looks at and goes "Wow, get your ass over here NOW" instead of just "Wow, you look good" ;)

I'm like you, i absolutely can't stand running or any cardiovascular activity. I love going to the gym, but just to do the bench.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000

I'm like you, i absolutely can't stand running or any cardiovascular activity. I love going to the gym, but just to do the bench.

Bench and the lateral pull down. Hell yea.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

Well that's what i mean. Weights. I use to love lat pull downs, but with my current gym, i don't like them as much. I think it's because of how the machines are positioned. I could concentrate better when the machines were facing the wall or a mirror, but when they're facing other people i get distracted.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000

Well that's what i mean. Weights. I use to love lat pull downs, but with my current gym, i don't like them as much. I think it's because of how the machines are positioned. I could concentrate better when the machines were facing the wall or a mirror, but when they're facing other people i get distracted.

Yeah, our lat machines faced the wall too. Thats nice, just sit there focusing on that instead of all the distractions when facing out.....
Hells yeah I need a weight set

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
To me that bench looks a little light weight....

The whole Olympic vs standard is really misunderstood.

For many home users, I'd say standard is a better bet: the weights are smaller for equal poundage, the bar is shorter (and on narrow uprights an olympic bar is very dangerous if you ever pull or add weight unevenly), etc.

However, regardless of this....if you are working out alone and at home the more expensive dumbells or again standard plates on dumbell balls are the smart approach. You can just drop weight if you get stuck....you can do that too with a barbell, but chances are your now bisected body won't agree....

Å