exercise experts: what should I eat after lifting?

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
for all you people preaching about eating certain stuff right afterwards in the other thread:
I lift MWF after school, but I don't go home after that because I have work. so... what's some cheap food/drink I can easily bring with me each day to consume right after lifting, that will give me all the good stuff you guys mentioned?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Any high GI food (baked potato) with protein shake before and after your workout will do wonders... don't forget to add creatine as well.

EDIT: I personally take AST's Creatine HSC(Hyper Saturation Complex) and a protein shake (EAS Myopro protein) mixed with AST's Glutamine (1 tablespoon) before and after every workout. If you can't afford the Creatine HSC then you'll have to do a baked potato/generic creatine mix. The baked potato will help restore/cushion your blood sugar levels so you don't go into a catabolic (breakdown/loss of muscle) state. It should be noted that you should also take DGC crystals (Dextrorotatory Glucose) to spike your insulin before your after workout dinnertime meal (Gatorade will also work, but have a weaker effect). Also, it should be noted to always eat your dinner (or any high protein meal) after your workout and this protein+creatine+high GI combo.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Basically after a weight lifting session you want protein right away to start rebuilding/reparing your muscles. If you're on the go and you want something cheap and easy to bring I would suggest peanuts or cashews. They taste great and have good protein. Also protein shakes and bars can easily be carried around and you can find them at a nearby health food store.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
I have just been doing a protein bar, the PowerBar Protein Plus, and water after working out.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkitech
Originally posted by: SaintGRW
carbs, and lots of them.

you want carbs before a workout

disagree, you want high carbs/low to medium protein after a workout, low carbs/medium to high protein before.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
carbs, and lots of them.

disagree, you want high carbs/low to medium protein after a workout, low carbs/medium to high protein before.
Yup, you want to load up on carbs after a workout, but a small "high GI" carb (30-40g) beforehand. Carbs after your meal will help restore the glycogen in your muscles that you used up during the workout, it will NOT turn to fat as everyone believes (and is a bad myth). I can link to scientific articles if you want.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
carbs, and lots of them.

Yup, you want to load up on carbs after a workout, but a small "high GI" carb (30-40g) beforehand. Carbs after your meal will help restore the glycogen in your muscles that you used up during the workout, it will NOT turn to fat as everyone believes (and is a bad myth). I can link to scientific articles if you want.

interesting I always thought it was the other way around. learn something new everyday

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
carbs, and lots of them.

interesting I always thought it was the other way around. learn something new everyday

The protein right after working out was the common notion for a long time - newer research proves otherwise now.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
6oz Tuna Pouches.

200 Calories
1g Fat
0 Carbs
21 Protein

Add mustard for flavor, or if the carbs / sugar don't bug you, add sweet relish.

I personally eat a Subway 6" Club with double meat and pepperjack cheese + lettuce and pickles.

480 Calories
13 Fat (a little high)
5.5 Sat Fat
54 Carbs
40 Protein

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
Postworkout I take Muscletech's Celltech. It's a creatine complex that's got 75g of dextrose to help surge insulin in the blood. ~45 mins-1hr after working out is a good time to take in some protein (or even a meal).

Celltech's expensive stuff though, so if you don't want to spend the money, my nutritionist suggests gatorade or the like.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
Also, you do NOT want to take in fat immediately after a workout...nor do you want protein. Take the carb/creatine mix within 15 minutes of the end of your workout.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
carbs, and lots of them.

Can you either include links here or PM me with them please? Not doubting your credibility but since you offered... Thanks.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
carbs, and lots of them.

The protein right after working out was the common notion for a long time - newer research proves otherwise now.
Links?

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Now what does it really do? I mean I am trying for strenght and not size so is it necessary for me eat this way (prot before carbs after)? Also, would beer count for the carbs (wishfull thinking I know)?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: ReelC00L
carbs, and lots of them.

Can you either include links here or PM me with them please? Not doubting your credibility but since you offered... Thanks.

First, read up on how Insulin works and what happens if you spike it.

The Bracketing Method

The Anabolic Nutrient Timing Factor

Killing the Carbohydrate Myth.

5 Tips to Boost Muscle Mass.

Carbs are not the devil.

That should be enough. Yes they promote their products, and I use 2 of them, but I have maintained a solid 25 lb gain since taking them last Fall (Glutamine and Creatine). Their methods work and are backed by scientific studies.

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
ok, so let me get this straight and make sure everybody agrees:
nothing before,
lots of carbs, no protein, no fat afterwards?

oh btw, this workout is pretty short, only ~20mins

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: dpopiz
nothing before,

I would still consume some protein afterward, 20-30 grams. And if I consume anything before, it's low carb/med protein. You don't want to deplete your glycogen levels before your workout is complete, so some carbs prior is good. Too much, though, could give you upset stomach.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: azazyel
Now what does it really do? I mean I am trying for strenght and not size so is it necessary for me eat this way (prot before carbs after)? Also, would beer count for the carbs (wishfull thinking I know)?

You can't really get strength without increasing size of the muscle. You can not increase strength/muscle if you don't consume enough food, lift hard enough, get enough sleep.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: dpopiz
nothing before,

Before you want to raise you blood sugar level by eating something like a potato, weren't you paying attention? You can also do a protein shake before your workout, with water for quicker absorption.

Afterwards, it's even more complicated (Protein and Carbs, plus many more supp's). Just read the links.

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
I don't have the time or money to do anything fancy or complicated. and I'm quite sure that expensive, artificially concentrated "supplements" aren't necessary or even healthy. I'm just wondering what some basic, natural foods are that I should consume for lifting