Excuse my auto noobness.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
I plan on changing air filter to improve gas mileage as you guys pointed it out here previously. It's the filter to the engine.

So I went to Autozone and asked for 'air filter'. It's an accordian-shaped zig-zagged cloth panel.

But I think this is an air filter to the cabin, not for the engine.

Are those two different things? If so, what do you call the engine air filter?

moving to garage
vi edit
Off Topic Moderator

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
you have an engine filter and cabin filter (in some cars). cabin filter is for filtering out pollen from the air conditioner. Not all cars have this. Engine filter is your normal filter. The guy at autozone must have been numb to not ask you which you needed.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
There are two kinds.

One is air filter for the engine <near by the engine>

One is for the AC unit <inside the dash>

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Gibson486
you have an engine filter and cabin filter (in some cars). cabin filter is for filtering out pollen from the air conditioner. Not all cars have this. Engine filter is your normal filter. The guy at autozone must have been numb to not ask you which you needed.

Not if the salesman knew the OP's car doesn't need a cabin filter.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

Not if the salesman knew the OP's car doesn't need a cabin filter.

but he gave him a cabin filter.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Why don't you locate the air filter in the engine (Since you plan on replacing it anyway) and find out if that's the right part.

In any case, please post the make, model and year of your car so we can better figure out whether you car has a cabin filter and if this is the part you need.

Also, please post the brand and part number of the item you purchased.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Injury
Why don't you locate the air filter in the engine (Since you plan on replacing it anyway) and find out if that's the right part.

In any case, please post the make, model and year of your car so we can better figure out whether you car has a cabin filter and if this is the part you need.

he drives a mazda 6. If it is anything like a mazda 3, he is gonna cry when trying to access either of those filters.

Anyways, that is what an engine air filter look slike, OP.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

he drives a mazda 6. If it is anything like a mazda 3, he is gonna cry when trying to access either of those filters.

Yea my car both has cabin and (of course) engine filter. What I got is cabin filter... which is fine I guess, who doesn't like fresher air in the cabin?

As for engine filter. It's only $25 at valvoline to replace. I don't mind paying $10 more for labor than getting it installed myself.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: E equals MC2

Yea my car both has cabin and (of course) engine filter. What I got is cabin filter... which is fine I guess, who doesn't like fresher air in the cabin?

As for engine filter. It's only $25 at valvoline to replace. I don't mind paying $10 more for labor than getting it installed myself.

just spend the $10. If you never replaced an air filter before, those mazdas are not a good vehicle to learn it on.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
It's good to know exactly what type of filter your car knows.

I first learned by opening mine in my Civic (easy to reach) and found it was CHARRED! It was rectangular type.

Our old car had a ring type

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
heh... the air filter in my 97 sentra is a breeze. I do it in the parking lot immediately after buying it. It takes longer to ring me up for the thing than it does to install it... completely tool-less.