Exchange Server, I need help

ScottP

Jul 27, 2002
I am a beginner and am trying to create an Exchange server for my home network. Our current network is on a workgroup and IPs are through DHCP from my linksys router which feeds ATTBI cable. Exchange requires a domain, so I want to know how i switch it all. Do I assign IPs through the router or through the exchange server? Any help would be appreciated. I dont have a domain, like internet domain, this is more of a internal network, thanks.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
In order to have a domain, you need to have an NT server. A domain is used to authorize anyone that logs onto any computer in the network, and if they are unathorized then they cannot appear in net neighborhood, send or receive network traffic, log onto the exchange server, etc.

What you need to do is dig out a copy of Win2K server/NT4 server and mark it as a domain controller. The user database in that is directly linked to the exchange user database. Put all your family's names into the Win2K user manager, including passwords, and then your computer will authenticate with the NT server when you log on. The router can continue to give DHCP addresses out, just authenticate with respect to the server's computer name and not to the IP address of it...although, in reality, it would be better to use static addresses.

ScottP

Jul 27, 2002
Thanks, that works perfectly, but now I have new problems. I'm using a 400mhz machine, and logging on with just 1 computer takes forever, it takes several minutes just for Outlook to load. How do I speed it up if it is a configuration problem. Other wise, what is a sufficient system for a very basic setup for up to say 8 users. I have other machines available, but dont want to start over again unless i really need too.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Our servers at work are still P3 450s, with a lot of disk speed yes, but I think that's your limiting factor. Are you running Win2K or NT4? 400 MHz would cut it for NT4...may not with Win2k. Make sure outlook is downloading files to personal folders (create it as a tools -> service) and not keeping you on the server, accessing directly off of it. That will make it much slower. You can use your Exchange server for collaboration but don't maintain a session with it. Once you create your personal folders, go to tools -> accounts and make sure that the exchange service is delivering to "personal folders" and not "mailbox - <user name>"

Cheers