Exchange 2000 setup question

dayg

Feb 20, 2001
Hi all,

I'm working on a little project of mine at home and trying to get some experience with Exchange. First of all, I'm using cable modem to connect to the Internet. I have a Linksys Router. Most of workstations and servers are static IP addresses. Here is what I have done:

1. Installed MS W2K advanced Server w/SP2, created a Domain, setup Active Directory, AND Installed Exchange 2000 on that same machine.
2. I have forwarded ports (80, 21, 25,53) on the linksys Router to point back to the exchange server(LAN IP address).

At this point, I know I missed a few or several steps. But uncertain what they are. If anyone knows, please point me to the right direction. Perhaps links on the web for step-by-step installation/setup on Exchange 2000. The installation of Exchange was rather easy, I imagine its the configuation/setup is what I need it. I know I don't have a domain name to use (i.e john@yahoo.com) but I know you could just use the IP address (i.e john@192.168.1.xxx.com). Only thing is, I don't remember how to configure it.
Your help is much appreciated. :)

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Well everything you need is in the Exchange Administrator and Active Directory Users and Groups MMC snap-ins.

You will need to create an SMTP Virtual Server (in Exchange Administrator)... mae sure you don't accidentally enable open relaying or your ISP will hate you. All of the user configuration for E2K is done in the user properties in the Active Directory Users and Groups snap-in.

It can (and usually does) get a lot more complex than that... best bet is to buy a book. I recommend "Mastering Exchange Server 2000" by Mark Minsai.

You can also find a wealth of info at Exchangefaq.com

Have fun

l2c

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
If you are going to e-mail to an ip address, you have to setup a policy to allow that. Go into user policies, and under smtp addresses (I forget exactly where it is, but you'll see it) add in the address. That way, all user accounts will get a "@192.168.1.xxx) SMTP address. Good luck.

dayg

Feb 20, 2001
luv2chill,
Thanks for the link. Strange, I'm having problems getting into Exchange Administrator5.5 (not sure why it says 5.5 when I had installed 2000).
It asked me what server do you want to connect to? It listed the IP addresses in the box, but when clicked ok, it says "a connection could not be made to the MS exchange server computer, the exchange server computer does not respond, MS exchange ditectory ID no: DS_E_communications_Problem".

If I click browse the exchange server, it says "the exchange server compter is not available because MS exchanage server computer could not located., MS exchange administrator, ID no: C10312c8".

What gives?

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
If you are only having problems from the internet connecting...

Set your exchange server in the DMZ (no firewall). See if you can get to it that way. You should.

If so, you need to adjust / open other ports. Search the MS Knowledge base for Exchange and Firewall, there are a few articles on that such as this one. Also and this one.

The Admin client uses NT port 135 I believe. Outlook uses dynamic ports to connect so you have to make aregistry change on the server to make it fixed ports and then open those on your firewall.

Some others that you may use (or not):

53 (User Datagram Protocol [UDP]) - Domain Name System (DNS).

88 (Transmission Control Protocol [TCP], UDP) - Kerberos authentication.

123 (TCP) - Windows Time Synchronization Protocol (NTP). Note that this is not necessary for Windows 2000 logon capability, but may be configured or required by the network administrator.

135 (TCP) - EndPointMapper.

389 (TCP, UDP) - Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).

445 (TCP) - Server message block (SMB) for Netlogon, LDAP conversion and distributed file system (Dfs) discovery.

3268 (TCP) - LDAP to global catalog servers.

dayg

Feb 20, 2001
Thanks GUYS! I got the exchange server to work! :)

One more thing, how do I get the OWA (outlook web access) to work? Thanks again.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
You need to have IIS installed / enabled. Then Exchange has to be configured with that connector as enabled (been a while since I played with it, might have the terminology wrong). Then you just hit the appropriate web page which is NOT the root of the server URL, it's a sub page. Should be some docs in the exchange CD that will give some more details on that.

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dayg
Thanks GUYS! I got the exchange server to work! :)

One more thing, how do I get the OWA (outlook web access) to work? Thanks again.
If you installed Exchange 2000, OWA is already working. Just go to http://servername.domain.com/exchange and log in. There isn't any special configuration needed just to get it up and running.

WarmAndSCSI

Banned
Jun 4, 2001
Don't forget to patch E2k with SP3 and the same for Win2kS!!! Also make sure to open up TCP ports 110 and 135 so you can access your server remotely via Exchange RPC or POP3.

dayg

Feb 20, 2001
TheUnhappyCamper, thanks. I updated both W2K server with SP2 and SP3 on Exchange 2000.

vetteguy, OWA is working but extremely slow. It's like using a 1200 baud modem 10 years ago. I tested on one of the workstations running winXP pro on the LAN. Any reason why this much slow down? Where do I go to change the configuration for OWA? anyone?

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dayg
TheUnhappyCamper, thanks. I updated both W2K server with SP2 and SP3 on Exchange 2000.

vetteguy, OWA is working but extremely slow. It's like using a 1200 baud modem 10 years ago. I tested on one of the workstations running winXP pro on the LAN. Any reason why this much slow down? Where do I go to change the configuration for OWA? anyone?
OWA is pretty resource-intensive, it's slow on our server, but that's only a single Xeon with 2.5GB RAM. What type of machine are you running?

dayg

Feb 20, 2001
vetteguy,
hmmmm... This is my home project so its not like a real server.... I'm running on a DELL Optiplex workstation. P3-1GHZ with 256MB RAM. I do have another 256MB RAM that I could add. Do you think that'll make much difference? The OWA is extremely slow. Are there settings for OWA that I can change? If yes, where?

TIA