Excel / Sharepoint experts?

TheJTrain

Dec 3, 2001
Once upon a time I was working with an Excel file that's stored on a Sharepoint site. I was able to use Data -> Group and Outline -> Group to do the whole "hide rows with the expandable button" thing.

I go back in to change the settings to put the button at the top instead of the bottom (the Summary row above vs. summary row below checkbox under Settings), and Group, Ungroup, Auto-outline, Clear outline, and Settings are all grayed out, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Other changes I can do (insert rows, enter data into cells, etc.) Along the way another user did some Tracking of Changes, so could have have changed something to not allow me to set up any new Groups?

Here's what I tried:
1) Save local copy, open from there (note: title bar still says [Shared]), same issue
2) Accept all Tracked Changes, same issue
3) Go into Shared Workspace settings, uncheck everything that looks like it'll make it no longer a Shared Document (this is on the local copy), same issue

I'm at a loss to explain why I was able to put in the first set of Groups, but now I can't define any more or change the Settings! Any Excel or Sharepoint gurus out there know what's going on?

Thanks,
Jason

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
The setting you're looking for isn't in the shared workspace menu item. You need to go into share workbook and then uncheck the option to share the workbook. That should ungrey the options that are currently greyed out.