Excel Pie Charts--How to remove all the surrounding white area

xxxInfidelxxx

Feb 19, 2006
Everytime I create a pie chart, there is a lot of surrounding blank space, so when I copy to a report and resize it, it takes up way too much room.

Is there any way to create charts in Excel, then copy without all the surrounding blank space? Right now, I copy the graph as a picture, then open up paint, then crop it, then paste it to my Publisher program, then resize it...works just fine, but a major pain in the pie. :)

Any tricks to make this process a bit easier?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Don't think so... except use gimp instead of paint. That way you select the white background and get rid of it in just a few clicks. You're left with just the graph and a trasparent background.

xxxInfidelxxx

Feb 19, 2006
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Don't think so... except use gimp instead of paint. That way you select the white background and get rid of it in just a few clicks. You're left with just the graph and a trasparent background.

I downloaded that GIMP, but installation was too convoluted for a dummy like me...said I needed GLK+ or something, which also requires GLib and/or Pango and/or ATK?.whatever. :)

psihog

Sep 21, 2003
you can resize the pie, the background and legend individually so that the pie fills up the entire background area. You have to make sure the 'plot area' is selected to resize the pie, and not the pie itself (which only separates individual slices).
Then copy it to your report and adjust overall size there without gaps around the pie.
I use office 2003 version, other version should be the same, but I don't know for sure.

xxxInfidelxxx

Feb 19, 2006
Originally posted by: psihog
you can resize the pie, the background and legend individually so that the pie fills up the entire background area. You have to make sure the 'plot area' is selected to resize the pie, and not the pie itself (which only separates individual slices).
Then copy it to your report and adjust overall size there without gaps around the pie.
I use office 2003 version, other version should be the same, but I don't know for sure.

Yea, I have boon doing that, but it takes a little work, that's for sure...have to enlarge the fonts to 24-point, as I shrink it down in publisher, so the labels get a little crazy when you try to get it to cover the whole page...only work around I could figure out. Aftr my 9th pie, I sort of have a system worked out. :) Thanks for the advice!

I wish there were a "fill entire space?" setting, but.....

CharlieCharlton

Apr 24, 2019
Recently, I was trying to overlay a pie chart onto a map without the annoying white background.

You can do it if you copy the pie chart and paste it as an image
Then go format, colour, set transparent colour, and select the background

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
That is similar to what I have done - I save the pie chart as an image, then I crop the image so there is no excessive while space, and save it like that.