Ex-GOP says this is why Repubs are mindless zealots backing Trump

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
We do have some problems though. In principle, Warren is an attractive option but she keeps fibbing when there's no need and that creates a problem of trust.

Fact check.

One might argue that it was a slip of the tongue but this is an election where people will be questioning everyone and everybody, or they should, and Warren needs to be explicit and correct to win trust.

Biden has no idea WTF is going on, although he's less bad than Trump by a mile.

The person I'd love to see at this time is Pete, and he's gay. Not a problem for me and a good deal other but he's demon-possessed because we all know Satan is gay, and gays are pedophiles. That's sarcasm from me but not so far off in the mindset of some. I'm not sure he can win because of that alone.

Anyone who thinks our choices are Trump-proof needs to check their hubris.

We do have some problems though. In principle, Warren is an attractive option but she keeps fibbing when there's no need and that creates a problem of trust.

Fact check.

One might argue that it was a slip of the tongue but this is an election where people will be questioning everyone and everybody, or they should, and Warren needs to be explicit and correct to win trust.

The person I'd love to see at this time is Pete, and he's gay. Not a problem for me and a good deal other but he's demon-possessed because we all know Satan is gay, and gays are pedophiles. That's sarcasm from me but not so far off in the mindset of some. I'm not sure he can win because of that alone.

I remember that same double standard from 2016.

Feb 16, 2005
"Many GOP lawmakers are currently “wrestling” with whether it was more important to win their next election or preserve their legacy for years to come, he claimed."

This is such a telling statement. More than willing to put party and $$$ above country, and a huge coward on top of it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I agree it is frustrating that Warren and others lie when there is no need to lie but let's compare to GOP OMG WHY DID YOU FEEL THE NEED TO TYPE THIS POST ARE YOU CRAZY?!

Why should I compare anyone to Republicans? We know better. Does that mean we should stop there? I think not but hey people have more faith than I do and I'm not a supporter of quasi-religious politics. I don't trust anyone who has more power than we do and I will always be cautious independent of party. This doesn't make Republicans something to consider, but IMO we are in this mess in part because we set lower standards for leaders than most anyone else. "It's just politics" is not and never was something to be tolerated and I don't care about the apologists circling wagons.

At this time I'm for Pete first, then Warren, then Bernie hardly Republicans and not people that were wanted in 2016 by the mainstream party.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Dear GOP-

Dems didn't make your base so nutty that Trump could steal them. You did. Lots of people tried to warn you but you wouldn't listen. And now Trump has you by your tender bits. Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Democrats
To be honest... isnt it more like Rupert and co thats at the base of this?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"Many GOP lawmakers are currently “wrestling” with whether it was more important to win their next election or preserve their legacy for years to come, he claimed."

This is such a telling statement. More than willing to put party and $$$ above country, and a huge coward on top of it.

They were corrupt players for Team Trickle Down before Trump. They bought in eagerly & he gives them what they want. Butt he's crazy as fuck, you know? It's just so embarrassing...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
To be honest... isnt it more like Rupert and co thats at the base of this?

Fox is a propaganda organ of the GOP. Lying & conspiracy theories. It's what they do-

They're Rudy's pals & power hitters in the GOP. They even got a meeting with Bill Barr to discuss the bribery case of their client, Dymtro Firtash.

Part of the team in Ukraine, too...

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Why should I compare anyone to Republicans? We know better. Does that mean we should stop there? I think not but hey people have more faith than I do and I'm not a supporter of quasi-religious politics. I don't trust anyone who has more power than we do and I will always be cautious independent of party. This doesn't make Republicans something to consider, but IMO we are in this mess in part because we set lower standards for leaders than most anyone else. "It's just politics" is not and never was something to be tolerated and I don't care about the apologists circling wagons.

At this time I'm for Pete first, then Warren, then Bernie hardly Republicans and not people that were wanted in 2016 by the mainstream party.
Why should you compare them to Republicans? Because if they don't win, Republicans will. If that still isn't enough to reflexively vote straight Democrat there is no saving you. I'm not saying that someday the choice won't be so obvious but that day is years or decades in the future. You want to strive to nominate who you think is the best Democrat, I'm all for it. Just remember every word you use to tear one of your lesser choices down makes it that much easier for Trump and the GOP to maintain power.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Why should you compare them to Republicans? Because if they don't win, Republicans will. If that still isn't enough to reflexively vote straight Democrat there is no saving you. I'm not saying that someday the choice won't be so obvious but that day is years or decades in the future. You want to strive to nominate who you think is the best Democrat, I'm all for it. Just remember every word you use to tear one of your lesser choices down makes it that much easier for Trump and the GOP to maintain power.

Sounds a lot like don't express you opinions, but I don't roll that way. In this forum how I speak would be different when confronted with Trumpettes and so I reserve the right to discuss such things amongst ourselves.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Sounds a lot like don't express you opinions, but I don't roll that way. In this forum how I speak would be different when confronted with Trumpettes and so I reserve the right to discuss such things amongst ourselves.
Hey express your opinions all you want but when your opinion veers into the honesty problems of the current crop of candidates just know it isn't a great look. They each have 10000 lies to go before it actually becomes a legitimate issue.

Nov 8, 2012
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/charlie-dent-gop-trump-impeachment_n_5de0c4a9e4b00149f72cd57d

They “are in a situation where they understand their base pressure, the base has not yet bolted from the president,” he explained.
“But there’s no question, having spoken to many of them privately, they’re absolutely disgusted and exhausted by the president’s behavior,” said Dent, who stepped down from Congress in 2018. “They resent being put in this position all the time.”

Many GOP lawmakers are currently “wrestling” with whether it was more important to win their next election or preserve their legacy for years to come, he claimed.

so apparently, the Repubs are choosing to sacrifice their legacy for shortsightedness of the next election.

They play by teams, which is what our stupid political party system is designed to do - place people into teams.

They do it - and they do it hardcore. Morally it's pretty reprehensible ... but... it works apparently.

Dems on the otherhand are fighting against eachother? OH YEAH?! I'm more woke left and hardcore than you! Where is that getting them? Not very far IMO. To quote your beloved Obama, you're basically creating a circular firing squad.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
A lot of the people who voted for Trump I know are the same people I see praying on Facebook for fake people dying, and soldiers dying 20 years ago that the "fake media" won't report on today....

I weep a little every day when I see how ignorant people are. I'd say I don't blame them, but it is willful ignorance and the GOP is feeding that willful ignorance every damn day.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I mean, there's nothing particularly wrong with vetting Dem candidates. In fact, I think handling them with kid gloves would be downright counterproductive. But it's simultaneously important to keep in mind that the Dem field has several candidates who are basically fine. Not perfect, no. But no one ever is. If ever there was an election to not let perfect be the enemy of good, it would be this upcoming one.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I can't see Republican politicians as anything more than disgusting scum. They know they are craven cowards but their lust for power makes them willing not reluctant to be bent over and you know what. They aren't morally conflicted. They tell themselves that because it works as an effective lube. "I just hate being the rape victim but my base demands it of me" Bull shit. They are all Stockholm survivors.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Fact check.

If your concern is how democrats portray their personal life, of which has exactly zero impact on the presidency, then you’ve already lost.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Bloomberg has no base in the Democratic party. He's Republican Lite. His campaign is astroturf.

He’s in it to protect the billionaire class from warren. There is a reason warren has been falling in the polls, it’s not her policies, which mimic many other candidates or the details of her policies, which the public generally doesn’t give a fuck about, it’s that the propaganda against her that has ramped up. You can see an example of this by the completely pointless fact-check Hayabusa linked to. Expect it to get worse.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
If your concern is how democrats portray their personal life, of which has exactly zero impact on the presidency, then you’ve already lost.

I disagree. I'd say that if you don't care then see 2016. As for me, I want more than "not Trump", but the most principled and competent candidate with the least self-inflicted wounds.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I disagree. I'd say that if you don't care then see 2016. As for me, I want more than "not Trump", but the most principled and competent candidate with the least self-inflicted wounds.

And you'll gladly drag out every hit piece you can find. What Warren said about her kids going to public school was a true statement. Her daughter graduated from public school. If she didn't qualify that statement to your complete satisfaction at the time it was because of the context in which the remark was made.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
And you'll gladly drag out every hit piece you can find. What Warren said about her kids going to public school was a true statement. Her daughter graduated from public school. If she didn't qualify that statement to your complete satisfaction at the time it was because of the context in which the remark was made.
I will? Funny thing is that I didn't do that before but to smear you seem eager to make that accusation.

1061px-Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg.png

Congrats on the ad hominem attack, making an accusation without substance. Want to go for ass hat?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Lol. No, what you want, just like what you want with health care, is perfection and something that doesn’t exist. Your standards are so high that nothing ever lives up to them.

You did this same routine in 2016 and you did it during the health care debate as well.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I will? Funny thing is that I didn't do that before but to smear you seem eager to make that accusation.

1061px-Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg.png

Congrats on the ad hominem attack, making an accusation without substance. Want to go for ass hat?

Your central point is bull shit. You can’t even explain why it’s relevant or important to anything other than your feels.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Lol. No, what you want, just like what you want with health care, is perfection and something that doesn’t exist. Your standards are so high that nothing ever lives up to them.

You did this same routine in 2016 and you did it during the health care debate as well.

That attitude worked perfectly in 2016 didn't it? I'm not saying I wouldn't vote for Warren but I have my concerns. If that doesn't pass the loyalty test so be it.